Eric Johnson's Latest Toan Essential The Thinline Strat

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Eric Johnson's Latest Toan Essential The Thinline Strat

Post by Terexgeek »

So you've got the right batteries in your vintage pedals, the right vintage amps and the first few signature strats, are you happy with the toan yet?

To mark time until you try cutting off Eric's fingers, what do you think of this?

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... r-thinline
Tin arse!!

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Re: Eric Johnson's Latest Toan Essential The Thinline Strat

Post by calling card »

Wonder if there's some virtue in having a drinking habit & not giving a shit.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Weird to do such an involved demo, with such poor sound.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Could only watch 12 seconds of it in 2 second bites over the first 2 minutes. Everything I heard is everything I hate about the sound of a Strat.

EDIT: went back and watched a bit more...it eventually shows promise but still....meh.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

calling card wrote:Wonder if there's some virtue in having a drinking habit & not giving a shit.
I believe there is....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

calling card wrote:Wonder if there's some virtue in having a drinking habit & not giving a shit.
I think that's an entirely reasonable alternative approach to the rabbit hole. Just get wankered and stop worrying about it. :thumbup:

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:
I think that's an entirely reasonable alternative approach to the rabbit hole. Just get wankered and stop worrying about it. :thumbup:
I'll drink to that :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I doubt very much that a hollow strat will sound much different to a normal one. . . . with a floating strat tremolo system, the body is only an afterthought anyway on a strat. Energy is transferred to the body by 6 small screws and the actual string energy transfer point is isolated by 3 springs!

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

It would allow you to use up stocks of rock ash that is too heavy to use in a conventional strat though?
Tin arse!!

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

bbrunskill wrote:I doubt very much that a hollow strat will sound much different to a normal one. . . . with a floating strat tremolo system, the body is only an afterthought anyway on a strat. Energy is transferred to the body by 6 small screws and the actual string energy transfer point is isolated by 3 springs!
I`ve not found this to be true. a TOM is connected to the body by two small sticks of threaded rod, Floyd has two larger anchors but most complain about that, then there's the prs, six screws but only two are in use.
the blade type trems of the 80`s had the most coverage with a full connection of steel on steel to the body but they didn't hang around long.
they might come back, who knows.
the wood doesn't make a difference argument is relatively new to guitars, came about right around the time wood stocks started to get more expensive.
anyway, the EJ strat in the demo didn't really stay in tune. shame really.
final question: does it come with ear muffs?
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

mrmofo wrote:
I`ve not found this to be true. a TOM is connected to the body by two small sticks of threaded rod, Floyd has two larger anchors but most complain about that, then there's the prs, six screws but only two are in use.
the blade type trems of the 80`s had the most coverage with a full connection of steel on steel to the body but they didn't hang around long.
they might come back, who knows.
at least a TOM is pretty solid, the anchors are mounted to the body, ect. Anyway, I'm not one to talk, the bridge on my Ric is held on only by string tension. You could take the neck and hardware and electronics off that thing and attach it to a fruitcake and I reckon it would sound much the same.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Speaking of fruitcakes... I wonder if they used nitro finish for max toanage...

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

bbrunskill wrote:Anyway, I'm not one to talk, the bridge on my Ric is held on only by string tension. You could take the neck and hardware and electronics off that thing and attach it to a fruitcake and I reckon it would sound much the same.
I, for one, will happily put $20 in the pot for this to happen. And I would dub Ben the 'Rickenbaker'...
Anyone else?

Oh er, I'll show myself out.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

bbrunskill wrote: at least a TOM is pretty solid, the anchors are mounted to the body, ect. Anyway, I'm not one to talk, the bridge on my Ric is held on only by string tension. You could take the neck and hardware and electronics off that thing and attach it to a fruitcake and I reckon it would sound much the same.
it`s all perception, how is a TOM more solid?
any physics professors in 'da house ;)

Fretboards affect tone, Rics are covered in a hard plastic type glue to protect the delicate small necks made for men with small hands. the tone from that combination is often thin, gaunt some would say tonally anorexic. we all know that men with small hands do have a use in todays modern world, reaching the oil filter in a mazda enos for one, playing a Rickenbacker, pulling the last ferret out of the rabbit hole, stuff like that. :shock: :wave:
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.