The Acoustic Guitar Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

The Acoustic Guitar Thread

Post by Molly »

We don't seem to discuss acoustics much really. What have you got and what do you like about it?

I replaced my Takamine of nine years today with the first decent acoustic I've ever owned. Taylor 314ce courtesy of opsguy.

:-)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: The Acoustic Guitar Thread

Post by jeremyb »

Maybe I should get another acoustic, one of those Taylor minis kinda appeals... Hmmm...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I hate acoustics .... thats why I only own 3 that I never touch :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

I'm standing on the edge, staring down the deep, dark, potentially bottomless pit that is the acoustic quest. At the moment I just have the Art & Lutherie Roadhouse parlour and Guild GAD 30R OM. Loving both of them for different reasons.

Next... dreadnought... I imagine this might hurt my wallet a bit...
Last edited by codedog on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

jeremyb wrote:Maybe I should get another acoustic, one of those Taylor minis kinda appeals... Hmmm...
I played a posh Taylor once when I was at Uni and that's the closest I've come. Don't want to go down the rabbit hole (couldn't afford to) so this one will do very nicely. Learning some more Neil Young. :thumbup:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

I've had quite a few over the years, including something special that was stolen in Australia. For the past 20 years I have happily made do with this as No.1 (No, not the Strat) It's actually a very good guitar.
241.jpeg
I've been very content with it until recently spending an extended period with Oleg's Taylor 714. When I finally picked up the Tama again, I was crushed. The Tama has seen off many Martins over the years but the Taylor destroyed it. And the Taylor isn't even Oleg's best acoustic. :wtf:

I've always had Dreadnoughts but I probably wouldn't buy another. Smaller bodies are better for fingerpicking which is 70% of what I do. And while D28s are the best flatpick thrashers on the planet, I'm unlikely ever to have the spare $5k+ for a HD28 or D28V.

I mainly play electric nowdays, but I still consider a really fine acoustic guitar to be one of Man's most sublime creations.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote:We don't seem to discuss acoustics much really. What have you got and what do you like about it?

I replaced my Takamine of nine years today with the first decent acoustic I've ever owned. Taylor 314ce courtesy of opsguy.

:-)
That will be a revelation after your old guitar, Molly.
Happy NGD.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Slowy wrote: I've been very content with it until recently spending an extended period with Oleg's Taylor 714. When I finally picked up the Tama again, I was crushed. :wtf:
That man seems to have a habit of doing that. Well, maybe not a habit... he's done it to you, and also me. I was reasonably content with my Crafter until I bought that Guild from him.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I'm a bit of an acoustic nut. I have a Lowden 87ish O10 which is a beast and a 62 Gibson LG0 which is the complete opposite in terms of sound. And an old 30's Hilo slide guitar.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

I’ve got two - a Taylor 314CE like yours, and a Gibson J-35 I acquired via Rob. Both are great guitars, but I’d really like a Hummingbird...

Oh and an old early 50s Hofner archtop that needs some TLC.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

codedog wrote:
Slowy wrote: I've been very content with it until recently spending an extended period with Oleg's Taylor 714. When I finally picked up the Tama again, I was crushed. :wtf:
That man seems to have a habit of doing that. Well, maybe not a habit... he's done it to you, and also me. I was reasonably content with my Crafter until I bought that Guild from him.
The man is custodian of some utterly amazing instruments.. I have mates who are successful Pro musicians who don't sleep at night because they've met Oleg's guitars. The man is a treasure.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

bbrunskill wrote:I'm a bit of an acoustic nut. I have a Lowden 87ish O10 which is a beast and a 62 Gibson LG0 which is the complete opposite in terms of sound. And an old 30's Hilo slide guitar.
The best guitars of any type I have ever met all wore the name Lowden.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

Pretty content with my Big Baby Taylor :thumbup:

Best acoustic I've played was a 60s Guild F30 I couldn't anywhere near afford at the time. It's the one that got away.
Last edited by telefiend on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote:
codedog wrote:
The man is custodian of some utterly amazing instruments.. I have mates who are successful Pro musicians who don't sleep at night because they've met Oleg's guitars. The man is a treasure.
Jeez, thanks Slowy. (Blushes)

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Best acoustic I’ve heard in the flesh was a Paul Simon signature Martín. In Brisbane, a guy was playing in a shop and it sounded like a piano. He offered me a turn but i knew better (he had a cloth between him and the guitar). I think it was 12k.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...