Green Bastard
Fender
Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 57 times

Load box advise

Post by Green Bastard »

Looking to get a loadbox for running my amps into recording interface at home.
Two notes captor has caught my attention
http://www.two-notes.com/en/torpedo-captor

have had a quick go with the wall of sound speaker sim plugin and dig it, captor comes with a license and a bunch of cabs to use in it, or otherwise could just go the ir route.

Anything better than the captor in a similar price range ($400ish). Or just as good but cheaper? Have heard the suhrs are good but a bit pricier.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Load box advise

Post by Single coil »

You have the best username
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

I am using the Captor at the moment, and it is really good. Run into DAW and use WoS which is really good too.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

I use the Suhr Reactive load and it's bloody marvellous. $600 all up imported from Reverb.com. (somehow I didn't get caught up in the import tax bollocks, it just arrived at my doorstep)
Tonally it would be hard to beat but you need to decide if it's worth the extra $200.
Pete Thorn does a great comparison video putting them all up against each other.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

THD hotplates have a Load and an IR out. They are passive load though, and internet wisdom is they don't sound as good as the reactive loads. Much cheaper though. They also attenuate, which some other loadboxes don't do.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

The Captor is the cheapest digital/active loadbox you can get. $379 from Musicworks. A passive one will only be cheaper if it's second hand

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

$379 was the price a couple of months before it finally released though, so might be $400ish now?

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

If you don't need things to be dead silent, you can use the slave out on your SLO into the WoS plugin. The slave out signal is taken from the output transformer. Of course you'd still need to keep the cab connected...
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

godgrinder wrote:If you don't need things to be dead silent, you can use the slave out on your SLO into the WoS plugin. The slave out signal is taken from the output transformer. Of course you'd still need to keep the cab connected...
this is what ive been doing recently to compromise,cosidering running some smaller cabs too to try bring the noise floor right down.

Green Bastard
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Green Bastard »

Cheers, looks like the Captor may be my best bet, not sure if the Suhr would be worth the additional $ for me, looks to be twice the price new. Captor comes in at about $370 shipped from Andertons, so bonus of being under the GST threshold.
godgrinder wrote:If you don't need things to be dead silent, you can use the slave out on your SLO into the WoS plugin. The slave out signal is taken from the output transformer. Of course you'd still need to keep the cab connected...
I tried that last week but with the slave out on my mesa and it didnt play nice, slave didnt seem to have any level without the Master being up as well. Guess i should give the SLO a try, just assumed (possibly wrongly) that it would be the same so didnt bother hooking it all up. but i guess the SLO doesnt have a master so that might be the difference.

Mattallica wrote:The Captor is the cheapest digital/active loadbox you can get. $379 from Musicworks. A passive one will only be cheaper if it's second hand
Nothing on their website, rockshop had one for $400 last week but looks like it's gone. Might drop into Musicworks if I'm in the neighbourhood to see if they have any, not sure how updated their website is.