Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

SG Project

Post by Clanger »

I'm interested in buying one of these stripped SG's off ebay: https://m.ebay.com/itm/2017-Gibson-USA- ... SwKQ9aCh~N and finishing it off with aftermarket bits. I haven't done any research yet into what's needed, I just liked the idea, and wondered where I could get what's needed to build a complete SG. I have 0 experience, but I've done heaps of soldering on car wiring, etc.

I'm thinking SD Pearly Gate pickups, Gibson Top Hat knobs and Sperzel tuners. Apart from that I'll be honest and say I have absolutely no clue what else would be needed regarding pots. I'd like to use one of these for the tailpiece also: https://www.allparts.com/TP-0398-010-Sc ... _4161.html

Can you also get those Derek Trucks meastro tailpieces? I'm good with my hands, so I could probably make one and have it chromed.

Achievable fun project?
Make Music Great Again

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Re: SG Project

Post by JHorner »

Sounds like fun. Just check out any of the pre wired kits for pots and caps or even Gibson's own specs?

Considering the low prices we see used factory assembled SGs going for though, you're probably setting fire to your money.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

I seem to recall you can get the tailpieces on ebay, but they're not engraved. Opportunity to put your own engraving on there I guess.

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Clanger »

Cool, I'd just leave it blank.

It might turn out to be expensive, but having better hardware and pickups of choice would make it worth it.
Make Music Great Again

Jellybelly
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Jellybelly »

I have been burnt by that same outfit.
With a strat body/neck combo. They mentioned a few imperfections but nothing near the list that was hidden.
They basicly laughed and said send it back at my cost then they would consider it.
Also by the time you add all the other bits it would be cheaper to buy a cheaper one here and strip it or look at my trucks SG $2100 delivered :D :D :D :D

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

It will be a fun but pretty spendy project ... you could talk to the bloke who bought the white 61ri off me and probably spend less.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Once you bring that in you're banging on the door of getting a cheaper GIbson SG Standard.

Say something like this:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... 1471180577

If you bought something like that, you could go about getting the upgraded parts you want as time goes on. Because you've got a complete guitar, you're under no time pressure to buy the gear, so can wait for bargains to come up. You could go about upgrading all the bits you wanted to. The best thing about doing it this way, is if you want to sell the guitar and get another SG or a Les Paul, you can simply take all of the old parts off, and put them onto your new Les Paul or SG.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Input together a Ric 620 with this approach. Different seller tho I think. And I had spare pickups that came with another Ric. For me it worked out a little cheaper , but U had to make a ric truss cover which was tricky.
I'd go with the suggestions above. Also protects you in resell terms. A partscaster is a partscaster.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Exchange rate is gonna make it hurt right now too

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

... but all that said, if you’re goin the same sorta route as me with the goldtop (mod the fuck out of it til death do us part), fuckin go for it.
Good nickel hardware is available - I used Gotoh and kluson.
Any decent value pots will work - 1M could be pretty cool. 50s wiring and you’re away laughing.
Before you go dumping hundreds into SD though, I strongly recommend you try (or try get your hands on) the entwistle HV58s.
StrummersOfThunder wrote:Exchange rate is gonna make it hurt right now too
Also this :problem:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Clanger wrote:
Can you also get those Derek Trucks meastro tailpieces? I'm good with my hands, so I could probably make one and have it chromed.

Achievable fun project?
I'll have a look for a tail piece at home...might have something like this...can't recall. If I find it, it's yours.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

I reckon the guys are right about grabbing a cheap SG and modding.

Unless you REALLY want the experience of starting from almost scratch.

I got a faded special for $800ish and a standard for $1100 (ex grant) and the benefit is (right or wrong) they will resell better than a non-Gibson one.

The faded would be a great option for a full on modstorm.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Clanger »

Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys. I've just seen Darth Sabbathi's post and will buy his '13 Standard.

I guess after adding up all the bits and including shipping and extras, 1400 for Darth's SG would be a good base, rather than needing to start from scratch, (although that was the part I was actually looking forward to, as a project)? I just want to tinker to be honest. I want to understand and know exactly how everything works, out of curiosity and for the love of it.

Grant, I'd love to get a tail piece off you if you had one to part with. That would look good on a black one, like the one you had a while ago with the gold hardware.
Make Music Great Again

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Clanger »

So, not really a project, but I put the Derek Trucks tailpiece on the '13 tonight. Happy with the results - happy I didn't balls it up and put it on crooked, etc.

I was thinking it would look quite cool with a full white pickgaurd also? would it fit?: https://www.allparts.com/PG-9803-035-La ... _2777.html

https://www.cons.org/music/edited/img_7 ... c_edit.jpg
Make Music Great Again

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Had a look...hmmm, missing just for now. I had two...one went on the black SG.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves