werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Paint aerosol

Post by werdna »

In the USA you can buy cans of nitro in aerosol form, and they come in cool colours like sea foam green. In NZ you cannot buy these cool things. However i would like to import some cans. Air NZ do not permit checked bags to contain paint aerosol cans. Therefore I can't bring the cans in myself. Could I get them posted by YouPost or couriered? Does anyone have any thoughts on this, please?
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Paint aerosol

Post by Molly »

werdna wrote:In the USA you can buy cans of nitro in aerosol form, and they come in cool colours like sea foam green. In NZ you cannot buy these cool things. However i would like to import some cans. Air NZ do not permit checked bags to contain paint aerosol cans. Therefore I can't bring the cans in myself. Could I get them posted by YouPost or couriered? Does anyone have any thoughts on this, please?
Yes you can buy nitro aerosols mixed to DuPont colours in NZ. I've bought loads of 'em. Will dig out the details and technical data sheet tomorrow. Can't be arsed rebooting the laptop.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

werdna wrote:In the USA you can buy cans of nitro in aerosol form, and they come in cool colours like sea foam green. In NZ you cannot buy these cool things. However i would like to import some cans. Air NZ do not permit checked bags to contain paint aerosol cans. Therefore I can't bring the cans in myself. Could I get them posted by YouPost or couriered? Does anyone have any thoughts on this, please?
Wairau Paints. Auckland.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Just sent you an article on nitro that's pretty interesting and the technical data sheet for the nitro aerosols available in NZ.

I use The Spray Store in Chistchurch. They're part of the Smits Group. Bound to be one local to you. Slowy's recommendation might be one. Dunno.

I did my research on http://curtisnovak.com/restorations/Fen ... ndex.shtml and just asked the paint shop to mix me up a couple of cans using '29184' (the nitro) at the given code (below). Colours were spot on. One can will do a guitar body.

I'll just add that over time my mirror-like finish continued to dry or 'gas-off' (whatever the right term is) and after a few months it didn't look as good.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

As mentioned, you can't import this stuff.

I get my Nitro mixed up at Versatile Products in Hamilton and if wanted it in a can they would do that...but I believe you get a better finish with a proper gun. Also, you can then mix on the fly for tinted clears etc.

Car painting places like PCG (?) will also put paint in an arsehole can.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

GrantB wrote:arsehole can.
Autocorrect gold!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote:As mentioned, you can't import this stuff.

I get my Nitro mixed up at Versatile Products in Hamilton and if wanted it in a can they would do that...but I believe you get a better finish with a proper gun. Also, you can then mix on the fly for tinted clears etc.

Car painting places like PCG (?) will also put paint in an arsehole can.
Tinted clears have been a problem for me. My local place couldn't do that. They put ochre in clear but the final outcome was opaque. I wanted to put a tint over Olympic White then rub it through here and there. Anyway, didn't work.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Got to have the right tints. I use the StewMac tints...very good. Their cherry is true vintage Gibson cherry. And where people go wring is they stain the wood cherry - Gibson left the wood plain and sprayed tinted clear. I know this from studying a lot of old SG's in hand.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote:Got to have the right tints. I use the StewMac tints...very good. Their cherry is true vintage Gibson cherry. And where people go wring is they stain the wood cherry - Gibson left the wood plain and sprayed tinted clear. I know this from studying a lot of old SG's in hand.
Oh. So, for future reference, I could get some amber tints from StewMac and have them add it to a clear lacquer. Years ago I had this done to a LP Custom that'd, for whatever reason, had the top polished back making the front binding bright white whist the rest was nicely yellowed.

Surprisingly, the guy that did the work still has it documented online (crap pics though): http://www.theguitardoctor.co.uk/brilp.html

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I get mine from Mirotone in Bromley, Christchurch. I use a gun. The problem with aerosol's is you can't create wash coats by mixing in more thinners. Makes for a better finish and each coat 'melts' into the previous ones. +1 on the Stewmac tints. They're awesome!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

kdawg2a wrote:I get mine from Mirotone in Bromley, Christchurch. I use a gun. The problem with aerosol's is you can't create wash coats by mixing in more thinners. Makes for a better finish and each coat 'melts' into the previous ones. +1 on the Stewmac tints. They're awesome!
What sort of spray equipment you using? And Grant?

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Got a compressor (used to be for nail guns at work) and a couple of guns. The bigger one holds maybe 350mls of paint (i've never filled it up) and the smaller one 75 mls. Guns are cheap even new, $150 or so. Secondhand compressors are bugger all. You could get a pretty good set up for $500.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

kdawg2a wrote:Got a compressor (used to be for nail guns at work) and a couple of guns. The bigger one holds maybe 350mls of paint (i've never filled it up) and the smaller one 75 mls. Guns are cheap even new, $150 or so. Secondhand compressors are bugger all. You could get a pretty good set up for $500.
When I was a kid the family business was for a time a car refinishing / custom place. Lots of metalflake! Remember things changing over from cellulose to two-pack. Anyway, I should ask my dad if he's any of that gear stashed away. Unlikely though.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Molly wrote:I should ask my dad if he's any of that gear stashed away.
He's probably sold it and bought it back 3 times then traded it for something completely unrelated...
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Conway wrote:
Molly wrote:I should ask my dad if he's any of that gear stashed away.
He's probably sold it and bought it back 3 times then traded it for something completely unrelated...
Naaa. That business skipped a generation. Like baldness.