US powered amps-does it suck?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

US powered amps-does it suck?

Post by cholera »

Im looking at a US amp which comes with a fairly decent (apparently) step down transformer. I generally use two amps together which is sometimes sweet and sometimes isnt....I just want to know if introducing a step down transformer into the mix is likely to cause even more hassles.

Anybody chime in on this?

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Re: US powered amps-does it suck?

Post by godgrinder »

If it's a good step down transformer then that's fine. Also you'd want plenty of spare wattage on the transformer. Say if it's a 100w amp then it's the best you get a 1000w transformer, although 500w would work too especially at home.

Also check if there's a 230V tap on the amp's power transformer (many do), if so you can just get a tech to do a simple rewire for you.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

Thanks Fei. I had heard of the transformer tap but was told by someone else that because of the amps age its unlikely to have one. Boooo.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Is it that Rev G triple rec? My 1979 Mark II has voltage selector so there might be a chance the recto has a 230V tap.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 808 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Rewind that sucka

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

If you need to pay for a rewind on a 100w amp, that's gonna cost you. 300-400 at a guess.

Otherwise, make sure the step down has a trip switch, not just a fuse. I used a step down for a couple of years on amps I brought from the USA...no drama. A pain to carry an extra transformer to gigs though, and I did used to worry about backup if it blew (which it didn't)

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

olegmcnoleg wrote:If you need to pay for a rewind on a 100w amp, that's gonna cost you. 300-400 at a guess.

Otherwise, make sure the step down has a trip switch, not just a fuse. I used a step down for a couple of years on amps I brought from the USA...no drama. A pain to carry an extra transformer to gigs though, and I did used to worry about backup if it blew (which it didn't)
I used to gig a Mesa which ran on US Power. One particularly memorable gig involved the step down transformer blowing a fuse just before the first set and me having to play the rest of the gig through a solid state Laney bass amp. Later on in the 3rd set some Women decided to put their bags and coats down on the stage directly on top of my pedalboard at which point two patch cables gave up. At this point I was left with nothing but an average clean tone without a hint of breakup and a lead singer who made us play Enter Sandman as our final song (and on a borrowed EJ Strat no less...). Good times!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

robnobcorncob wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:If you need to pay for a rewind on a 100w amp, that's gonna cost you. 300-400 at a guess.

I used to gig a Mesa which ran on US Power. One particularly memorable gig involved the step down transformer blowing a fuse just before the first set and me having to play the rest of the gig through a solid state Laney bass amp. Later on in the 3rd set some Women decided to put their bags and coats down on the stage directly on top of my pedalboard at which point two patch cables gave up. At this point I was left with nothing but an average clean tone without a hint of breakup and a lead singer who made us play Enter Sandman as our final song (and on a borrowed EJ Strat no less...). Good times!
:lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Clarry charged me a hell of a lot less than that for my Bandmaster PT rewind. That's only 40watts though.

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

Rewinding is a waste of money. The amount of iron in PTs made for US voltages is typically about 10-20% less than iron in PTs made for 230 mains voltage that are supposed to deliver the same secondary VA (purely because of production cost reasons). Rewinding is just putting more coils into the same size bobbin in the same iron. This means the iron has to induce more magnetising current than it was designed for, and the result is the PT will run hotter and tend to overheat.

Compare the two sine wave functions in the attached graph. The area under each function curve represents the total power that has to be induced through the core, and the 50Hz-230VAC sine wave has greater area. This means, all other things - like the secondary voltages etc- being equal, a 230V 50Hz PT needs to be bigger to stay cool.

Better to swap the US PT out for a 230 mains PT (if it doesn't already have a mains voltage selector).
Attachments
750px-50Hz60Hz.png
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

tubeswell wrote:Rewinding is a waste of money. The amount of iron in PTs made for US voltages is typically about 10-20% less than iron in PTs made for 230 mains voltage that are supposed to deliver the same secondary VA (purely because of production cost reasons). Rewinding is just putting more coils into the same size bobbin in the same iron. This means the iron has to induce more magnetising current than it was designed for, and the result is the PT will run hotter and tend to overheat.
yes, this is true. By rewind, I meant 'have the input transformer remade'. Ryan at The Amp Shop did mine (yes, it was a while ago), which included rebuilding the plates/iron and somehow fitting a bigger assembly back into the amp box. No mean feat on a small Boogie combo! Cost me about $250-300 per amp I seem to remember.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

Wow. Good info there. Thanks guys. Great story Rob!
The stepdown i got is only 500 watts and it doesnt appear to have a trip, only a fuse. Its a Raggie power co. Transformer. Im going to try it at jam tonight, my next question is this- i run two amps at jams through seperate 4x12s. Given the state of our jam room their is limited power and i usually run both amps and effects off the one 4 plug. Think its all good to keep doing this?

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

By the way being the Triple Rec its a 150 watt amp. The guy i bought it off assures me he used this transformer at gigs for years though. Im just completely new to this so if there is any obvious newbie things to watch out for Id like to know them!

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

There's a Triple Rec on Facebook for $1700 if you're keen. NZ model.

cholera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by cholera »

I deliberately bought this one because i was keen to give an older two channel model a whirl. Ive owned a 3 channel, it was all good but nothing to write home about. Just going to get sucked into internet hype and try this one. Head and cab was 2k so it was a bit of a bargain i reckon. Cheers though man!