What's this amp actually worth?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: What's this amp actually worth?

Post by Mini Forklift »

I'd like to see a gut shot, but I'd imagine that it has been made to a pretty high quality. I'd also like to spend a bit of time with it before I handed over $800 but yeah... I could well be tempted on the right day.

Not sure it would have better tones than my Katana though :lol:

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Fender charge $2K USD for a 57 Deluxe. Hate to think what it would cost here tho. Can build with a few $2 caps and a ten dollar chassis banged out at the local metal shop? Maybe. Just do it!

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

if it really nails the sound of a good example 5E3, that is worth a bit too. Big name amp builders can charge thousands for one of these because they get it right with things like transformer and component choices, plus lead dress etc. It's not an Airfix model kit. Nobody knows this guy and if he knows what he is doing, so who knows.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Molly wrote:I dunno. It's no Tamerlane and that was hard to shift at similar money.
Yeah that's kinda my thoughts too, the boutique stuff can be hard to shift at even half of its original cost, and this being home built and possibly not even a name brand kit like mojotone/ceriatone is a bit of an unknown.
I'd like a 5e3 but BGs one which was a combo and nicely covered in tweed was well under 1k and was a Ceriatone kit so how much is this head actually worth? 600?

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Reg18 wrote:
Molly wrote:...so how much is this head actually worth? 600?
Be cheeky and make him an offer. Nothing to lose :thumbup:

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

He had this sitting on TM for ages at $1,000, so he has done a fair price lower with it being on for $800 now. One thing that somewhat put me off was that he's saying you have to remove the chassis to remove or install the valves #paininthearse

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Reg18 wrote:
Molly wrote:I dunno. It's no Tamerlane and that was hard to shift at similar money.
Yeah that's kinda my thoughts too, the boutique stuff can be hard to shift at even half of its original cost, and this being home built and possibly not even a name brand kit like mojotone/ceriatone is a bit of an unknown.
I'd like a 5e3 but BGs one which was a combo and nicely covered in tweed was well under 1k and was a Ceriatone kit so how much is this head actually worth? 600?
Can't really say without seeing inside it and also hearing it. If it turns out to be well built and sounds like the real deal, 600 bucks is not much to ask for Deluxe tone. Not being a combo hurts his chances of getting his asking price perhaps.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:He had this sitting on TM for ages at $1,000, so he has done a fair price lower with it being on for $800 now. One thing that somewhat put me off was that he's saying you have to remove the chassis to remove or install the valves #paininthearse
Yeah I read that too, I'm having a look in an hour ish so I may or may not make a cheeky offer.
I'll gauge how much of his heart and soul went into the build before I make a low ball offer, sometimes people can get really offended and think your having a go at there workmanship.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

See if he has some youtube or soundcloud clips posted.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Reg18 wrote:Yeah I read that too, I'm having a look in an hour ish so I may or may not make a cheeky offer.
I'll gauge how much of his heart and soul went into the build before I make a low ball offer, sometimes people can get really offended and think your having a go at there workmanship.
If you can get it for $700 or less I think that's pretty good IMO, especially with the 'issues' which to his credit he has pointed out before any sale happened. Hopefully if you're at his place he should be able to demo it for you.

I should be cashed up again in a month or two so if you did end up not wanting it I may be able to take it off your hands, but regardless of that I'm interested to hear your thoughts. I'm sure you'll be able to gauge just how genuine he is, to me he comes across as a decent sort of bloke that obviously has a passion for the same things as we do :)

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

undo 4 screws, slide chassis out, change valve, slide back in, tighten screws. 10mins tops !
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

sizzlingbadger wrote:undo 4 screws, slide chassis out, change valve, slide back in, tighten screws. 10mins tops !
Hopefully that simple. Tamerlane chassis wasn't as easy as that lol.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Reg18 wrote:
Wasn't even a kit, fully built up chassis by ceriatone. But second hand value... no room for KFC ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

My build would have cost around $900 complete inc freight from 2 different suppliers, but that include $230-250 on the speaker, and that was a kit with quality parts. I bought just after the US $ picked up a couple of years ago.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Update: I own it! We came to an agreement I couldn't turn down.