An interface that covers a lot of ground..

Members sound files, tone clips, videos, media

Moderator: Capt. Black

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

An interface that covers a lot of ground..

Post by griff »

Hey guys, being the gear noob that I am, I have to ask yet another gear question.
Looking for a good interface that will do it all and I wont need to upgrade for a while.
I need something that will give a good clean signal for amp sims (D.I or HI Z?) but also have xlr mic in with good conversion for when I want to mic up up my amps.
What should I be looking at? I have no idea where to start.
Currently running a $100 focusrite solo but want to upgrade pretty soon.
Thanks guys

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: An interface that covers a lot of ground..

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I got an eleven rack the other day. Awesome interface, mic preamp, analog to digital conversion etc, but is also a guitar processor and effects unit that can run as a modelling amp head. Unfortunately I can not get it to play nice with Windows 10 and Reaper, so have to sell it straight away (a monitoring issue). However, if you run Protools on Mac it would be great (garage band and Logic work too).

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Aquila Rossa wrote:I got an eleven rack the other day. Awesome interface, mic preamp, analog to digital conversion etc, but is also a guitar processor and effects unit that can run as a modelling amp head. Unfortunately I can not get it to play nice with Windows 10 and Reaper, so have to sell it straight away (a monitoring issue). However, if you run Protools on Mac it would be great (garage band and Logic work too).
Is this the one you're selling? It's a shame you can't get it to work well.
If I had a mac and wasn't using Reaper I would consider it man.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

griff7628 wrote:
Aquila Rossa wrote:I got an eleven rack the other day. Awesome interface, mic preamp, analog to digital conversion etc, but is also a guitar processor and effects unit that can run as a modelling amp head. Unfortunately I can not get it to play nice with Windows 10 and Reaper, so have to sell it straight away (a monitoring issue). However, if you run Protools on Mac it would be great (garage band and Logic work too).
Is this the one you're selling? It's a shame you can't get it to work well.
If I had a mac and wasn't using Reaper I would consider it man.
Same boat as me. Yeah, stay clear of 11r with Windows and Reaper.

As for an interface. Seems like unless you want to go high end like Universal Audio, Focusrite Scarlett is the way to go. Second generation has True-Z. Downside is they have partnered with Avid for software. Other option might be Roland Quad Capture, although they must be due to be outdated soon.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

i guess it depends on what you wanna spend, i just bought a new Mk1 1Apollo twin for 799$ after a few issues with the focusrite claret(ill never own another focusrite product again) and it does all i need and sounds great.Cant say the thunderbolt connection is a major upgrade over usb as yet,as ive only been tracking small sessions thus far,im just a sucker for OMG WOAW NU TECH.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Kris wrote:i guess it depends on what you wanna spend, i just bought a new Mk1 1Apollo twin for 799$ after a few issues with the focusrite claret(ill never own another focusrite product again) and it does all i need and sounds great.Cant say the thunderbolt connection is a major upgrade over usb as yet,as ive only been tracking small sessions thus far,im just a sucker for OMG WOAW NU TECH.
Yeah about that much. I'm seriously looking at one of those too, but how did you get the twin for so cheap? They're 1300 at RS

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

no thats the MkII if you look a little closer :) mk1 is all silver and the MkII is a darker colour.The pre's sound great but the onboard dsp is a bit lame-running the silver jubilee module for instance maxes out the dsp. Something like an API pre uses bugger all though.Not really a deal breaker for me as i tend to use other stuff for plug and play.Just as well as HOLY WTF the plug ins are expensive.130 bucks for a tube screamer plug in? fuck off!

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

What was the issue with the Claret Kris? Few around here have the new generation Scarlett and have been saying they are good. Yeah, if I had the dosh a UA Apollo would be the one for me. I wonder what Yamaha and Roland interfaces are like for cheaper alternatives to Focusrite?

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by griff »

Kris wrote:no thats the MkII if you look a little closer :) mk1 is all silver and the MkII is a darker colour.The pre's sound great but the onboard dsp is a bit lame-running the silver jubilee module for instance maxes out the dsp. Something like an API pre uses bugger all though.Not really a deal breaker for me as i tend to use other stuff for plug and play.Just as well as HOLY WTF the plug ins are expensive.130 bucks for a valve screamer plug in? fuck off!
Ah yep, I thought you were meaning the duo, my bad. That is a lot for a damn plugin! So what ones do you get for free, and are any of the amp sims free?
Looks like if I wanted USB connection, the duo is my only option at 1300 bux.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

i tried a scarlett a few years ago and hated the routing/mix software.Tried the clarett as i thought they would have improved it,which they did but still ran into issues such as the audio from flash/youtube not going through the 1/2 audio out but 3/4(headphone default) with no way of changing and the unit losing TB connection and having to power on/off to reset.Ymmv and all that.As always props, to nick and the chch RS for putting up with my crazy old man ways.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

griff7628 wrote:
Ah yep, I thought you were meaning the duo, my bad. That is a lot for a damn plugin! So what ones do you get for free, and are any of the amp sims free?
Looks like if I wanted USB connection, the duo is my only option at 1300 bux.
ah yeap,i forgot to add i was running the TB version-for USB only im sure you could do way cheaper.Seems like usb3 is a waste of time from what ive read,i looked into stuff like the zoom TA series and the resident audio line too,but im sure others will chime in with a few more solutions.I did have an apogee duet that was awesome but hated the breakout cable as it messed with my OCD :rofl: :mental: Im such a grumpy old man!

oh you get a marshall style amp sim/rat/several pre's/basic delay and mod 3 in one pre and a few other things with the UA,obvs the more you spend the more they throw in for free.It all sounds great but just....so much money.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Kris wrote:i tried a scarlett a few years ago and hated the routing/mix software.Tried the clarett as i thought they would have improved it,which they did but still ran into issues such as the audio from flash/youtube not going through the 1/2 audio out but 3/4(headphone default) with no way of changing and the unit losing TB connection and having to power on/off to reset.Ymmv and all that.As always props, to nick and the chch RS for putting up with my crazy old man ways.
Routing is a pain in the ass. Is the problem I have with this Eleven Rack. Will not let me monitor DAW without also hearing the sound from the 11r thru the monitors. I tried a Marshall Code because so many people including Pete Thorn rave about Softube amp sims that the Code has. The models are very good, but could not get the USB signal to rout into DAW. I am quite surprised with WSAPI on Windows 10 though. I get below 5ms latency and it allows more routing options than any ASIO driver I try.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I think if I get one of the new Scarlett interfaces I will buy new from RS and test it there on a Windows computer to know it does what I need. I do not trust USB interfaces anymore. They all seem to have one quirk or another that needs ironing out. Apollo is too rich for me at this stage.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

i gave up on windows years ago.Never looked back!
I actually did a hell of a lot of time on just a Line 6 GX and was happy as-only reason i changed was i hated the single 1/8 headphone out....

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kris »

im just curious but what do you need windows for? the only benefit i hear from my friends is gaming related.Design/Art and audio are my two main needs-if i had the motivation id build a hackintosh seeing as its all similar guts nowadays.