Dano_NZ
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 196 times

Re: What are you gassing for?

Post by Dano_NZ »

Gibson SJ-200. I think they look the shiz.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

Dano_NZ wrote:Gibson SJ-200. I think they look the shiz.
strange they are.. the ones i've played are great big chord strummers but there's nothing there for picking. hardly any "dish" in the body and they dont really project when recording
they do look great as you say but i'd make the effort to try one first

hope this helps
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

I'm all gassed out. Trying one more guitar as an option then it's time to spend some time with what I have (until the \13 turns up....)

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Top of my GAS list right now is a new interface. One with much more flexible IO in DAW than the Presonus Audiobox drivers allow. That thing does not allow me to do jack sh!t. Multiple input and output devices being allowed to be chosen from in DAW is what I need. Does the 2nd Gen Scarlet allow this with ASIO in Windows 10? Somebody here told me what that is called, but has a fancy pants name i can not remember?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

philly wrote:
Dano_NZ wrote:Gibson SJ-200. I think they look the shiz.
...... great big chord strummers ....
That's what they are. Possibly the most expensive one trick guitar on the planet.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Dano_NZ
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Dano_NZ »

Guys you're right about the SJ-200's. I've never played one that's really blown me away. Maybe I should state that I'm gassing for an amazing one. And yes they're damn expensive. I normally walk away feeling happy that I can't afford one rather than, how could I afford one (e.g. sell a bunch of other guitars to get into that "dream" guitar).

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

My ex in USA swears by SJ-200s. She used to do folk and stuff. Picking and strumming. She busted the neck on her Dad's 1962 B-25.

I bought a Hummingbird Pro back and sold it. Very sweet sounding considering it was new. The guy tried it and could not help himself buying it. Gibson acoustics I have tried have always been more mellow than Martin to my ears.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Hmm Gibbys. Bought a J-35 rather than the 45 I set out to get. The lighter body and the chime got me.

Dano_NZ
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Dano_NZ »

Agree Aquila Rossa they are more mellow, less bright. Also J-45's (and 35's/50's) seem to be more responsive than their bigger brothers. The newer one's seem to be built lighter too.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Got money now that Jackson sold but do not know what to buy. GAS wafting around aimlessly.

BE-OD with the internal gain pots dialed back sounds amazing on demos. I am not using the standard amount of gain the pedal offers, but the fact that it can be tamed and still sound good is appealing, because it it is there should I get a gain craving.

Fire Effects Carpe Diem that features on That Pedal Show always sounds very good. Best Plexi sounding pedal I have heard demos of.

Wah, phaser and compressor are further down the list.

I need an interface, but also want delay and reverb pedals. I see an Eleven Rack on TM that was $1 reserve. If its reverbs and delays are good, it is also an interface that I can power my monitors with. Not keen if it requires that iLok bullsh!t tho.

Did a little fret work myself on the 245 with an emery board and it will be okay for a bit yet. Managed to get the action really nice so stainless frets can wait. Don't have the box wrench for the truss rod tho.

Amp work can wait too.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I quite like 2 stage phasers, or a very subtle 4 phase like a script phase 90. Any body tried the DOD 201?

So yeah, that means I probably prefer Univbe to phaser, because that is basically what 2 phase is.
Last edited by Aquila Rossa on Mon May 08, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 384 times

Post by dayl »

Aquila Rossa wrote:
BE-OD with the internal gain pots dialed back sounds amazing on demos. I am not using the standard amount of gain the pedal offers, but the fact that it can be tamed and still sound good is appealing, because it it is there should I get a gain craving.
Gassing for one of these too but I cant afford one at present due to GAS burning holes in my wallet. Cheapest I've seen new so far is $310 on amazon.

I'm just too skint. :lol:

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

dayl wrote:
Aquila Rossa wrote:
Gassing for one of these too but I cant afford one at present due to GAS burning holes in my wallet. Cheapest I've seen new so far is $310 on amazon.

I'm just too skint. :lol:
Reverb has them cheaper. Local Tone Lounge price is not bad when accounting for shipping and gst.

Gotta stop listening to pedal demos. I just had my cart full to the brim at PGS. Changed my mind because worried about gst, as well as preferring to buy used. I really like the sound of the Keeley Abbey Reverb, but just about every demo i hear makes me want to buy. Sabbra Cadabra too. I like the idea of having pedals that can sound like amps the Laney can't.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I'm gassing for a nice flanger pedal, but really I'm probably just a bit bored and miss the feeling of the courier turning up! Have gigs coming up and plenty of practises happening so that's keeping the real gas at bay.

Still, my fancy Bareknuckle RY's are at the local depot. Really looking forward to that particular courier.
Loving it so far

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 384 times

Post by dayl »

Aquila Rossa wrote:
Reverb has them cheaper. Local Tone Lounge price is not bad when accounting for shipping and gst.
$310 incl shipping is what I was looking at. That better than what I could find locally and on Reverb. I hate to say it... but this solo dad needs to save $50 where he can.