StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: Line6 Heeeeeelix!

Post by StratMatt »

slash-ed wrote: At the gig last Saturday I put my IRT-X in wedge position in front of me. I've never been happier with my ability to hear myself through the night.

At practice I usually just put it kind of in the corner and everyone can hear me except the drummer haha.
Bit of a dredge here. I take it when you play a gig you have a full band mix coming through the PA? Everyone mic'd up?

When playing live we've always just relied on stage volume for the instruments and just had vocals and a bit of kick/snare through the desk. It wouldn't make much sense for me to put my guitar to FOH if neither the bass or 2nd guitar is going to would it?
Loving it so far

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

2.10 update

New Amp Models
  • Archetype Clean, based on* the clean channel of the Paul Reed Smith® Archon®
  • Archetype Lead, based on* the lead channel of the Paul Reed Smith® Archon®
  • Line 6 Litigator, new Line 6 Original inspired by boutique mid-gain amps
New Effects Models
  • Distortion > Stupor OD (Mono, Stereo), based on* the BOSS® SD-1 Overdrive
  • Delay > Pitch Echo (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original
New Features
  • Auto Enable/Bypass blocks from EXP 1/2/3 and Variax Volume/Tone Knobs—Processing blocks (such as Wah, Pitch Wham, etc.) can now be enabled/bypassed by simply moving EXP 1, EXP 2, EXP 3, or Variax’s Volume or Tone knob. Press MENU and then Knob 1 (Bypass Assign). Turn Knob 1 (Switch) to select the desired switch. When selecting a continuous controller as a switch, Knob 2 (Position) and Knob 3 (Wait) appear.
  • Bypass Assign > Position—Position determines the location in the Exp Pedal or Variax knob’s travel where the block is engaged. For example, if set to 1%, the block will turn off as soon as the pedal is moved to the heel position. If set to 99%, the block will only turn on when the pedal is moved to the toe position. To swap the on/off state regardless of position, press the BYPASS button.
  • Bypass Assign > Wait—Wait determines how long it takes after the Exp Pedal or Variax Knob is moved below the Position location before the block turns off. For example, you may not want the Wah to turn off instantly every time you hit the heel position during your big funk solo. Also, does your song really need a big funk solo?
  • Block Bypass via MIDI—Individual processing blocks can now be enabled/bypassed via incoming MIDI CC messages. Press MENU and then Knob 1 (Bypass Assign). Turn Knob 4 (MIDI In) to choose the desired MIDI CC. Incoming CC values 0-63 will turn the block off; values 64-127 will turn the block on. Note that some MIDI CCs are reserved for global functions and cannot be selected.
  • Learn Bypass Assign—As with Controller Assign, you can also now quickly learn a source for bypassing the selected block instead of assigning it manually. On the Bypass Assign screen, press Knob 6 (Learn) and then engage the desired footswitch, expression pedal, Variax knob, or MIDI CC. Helix will show the switch above Knob 1 (Switch) or if it’s a MIDI CC message, above Knob 4 (MIDI In).
  • Clear All Bypass Assignments—You can now clear all bypass assignments at once. From the Bypass Assign screen, press ACTION and then Knob 1 (Clear All Assignments). Press Knob 6 (OK) to confirm.
  • Snapshot footswitch LED color—You can now choose a color for each snapshot footswitch. Press the PRESETS knob and then Knob 6 (Rename Snapshot). Turn knob 5 (LED Color) to select the desired color. “Auto Color” is the default red. NOTE: There is currently no way to set snapshot footswitch color from the Helix application.
  • Split > Y Balance parameters—The old Split > Y block sends both left and right signals to Paths A and B equally. 2.10 adds individual balance (pan) control of the signals sent to Path A and B. By default, they’re set to “Center”, which behaves exactly like the old Split > Y block.
  • Support for MIDIpants
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

for those keeping track at home, it's now plain to see that each update is crowdsourced based on the squeakiest wheels with it's users. 2.0 update added Mk 4, matchless and scenes (among other stuff), now in 2.10 we have dumble-esque, SD1 & autoengage (and other stuff)

Interesting how the idea scale/community feedback process actually works into their dev pipeline. Rather than seeing 75 different plexi variants and a BE100 we're getting distinct interesting amps. Very different approach, which i'd assume is because it's still early in the product lifecycle... but also because maybe L6 users are less cork sniffy and more about coverage options than incremental differences.

By that logic, i'd assume reverbs would be next unless there's architectural work needed beforehand, although part of me thinks it's only a select (very vocal) few who aren't happy with the current offering. Reverb quality is SUCH a 2016 problem... when did reverbs become cool enough to argue over?

Just made the connection with the litigator/dumble model name. Aside from schem patent infringement shenanigans is that also a blues lawyer jab?
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

New shizzle... be cool to hear users thoughts on this update :)

Update 2.2

22 NEW AMP, CAB
AND EFFECT MODELS
HX model library upgrade of special interest to bass players as well as guitarists
Helix® 2.20 is a firmware update for Helix and Helix Rack guitar processors that offers guitarists an additional suite of HX amp models, including new amps, cabinets and effects, with a special emphasis on models for bass players. The release will also feature a host of functional upgrades and a newly crafted set of impulse responses.
Included in the update are 6 amp models, 7 cabinet models, and 9 effect models. A total of 11 models are designed for bass players. Highlights in the release include models based on* the Pearce BC-1 bass preamp, a Darkglass® Electronics Microtubes® B7K Ultra bass preamp/overdrive/EQ pedal model, and Line 6 Badonk, an original Line 6 amp model inspired by the original high gain Big Bottom model.
Helix 2.20 also introduces the Line 6 Allure IR Pack, a free download of new speaker cabinet impulse responses created by Dan Boul of 65 Amps fame. Support for Variax® Workbench HD has been added, allowing Variax modeling guitars to communicate directly with Workbench HD editing software through Helix via USB. In addition, 2.20 adds the ability for Helix to send and receive MIDI Clock for synchronizing its tempo with DAW software and MIDI-based pedals.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Geez I would have thought the midi clock sync was an absolute basic requirement!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

jeremyb wrote:Geez I would have thought the midi clock sync was an absolute basic requirement!
to be fair Jeremy less than .01% of helix users will ever use MIDI clock.

Out of interest, how many of the guitarists on here use MIDI clock in their guitar rigs?
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

What's a midi clock?

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

What's midi?
Loving it so far

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 384 times

Post by dayl »

Lawrence wrote:
Out of interest, how many of the guitarists on here use MIDI clock in their guitar rigs?
I do. I would have thought it would have had this straight off the mark also.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Lawrence »

dayl wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
cool, so tell us about it. What do you use it for?. I haven't used MIDI clock since about 1995 or so....and I cant think of a reason to use it now.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Lawrence wrote:
dayl wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
cool, so tell us about it. What do you use it for?. I haven't used MIDI clock since about 1995 or so....and I cant think of a reason to use it now.

Would it be to sync up the delay/modulation times with a click track?

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Yes. It hasnt changed. Sync up with DAW, sequencers and a number of other gear depending on how you're set up. Ping pong delays, panning, tremolo, all sorts.

Not one of those thing everyone is going to use but damn good to have for those that do.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Lawrence »

dayl wrote:Yes. It hasnt changed. Sync up with DAW, sequencers and a number of other gear depending on how you're set up. Ping pong delays, panning, tremolo, all sorts.

Not one of those thing everyone is going to use but damn good to have for those that do.
so are you usingMIDI clock to track tempo changes within a single patch rather than changing patches?

I guess Id be using continuous controllers for that if I had to but my habit these days is to have a patch set with each tempo and change patches. Since I don't usually gig with a click (I hate clicks) Im accustomed to tapping in tempos on the fly - Ill give the drummer a tempo scratch but if they vary Ill re tap. I also prefer the excitement of live playing where things will NOT be the same every time....

I havent used MIDI clock since I was syncing Mastertracs Pro to an ADAT!.

The new Helix plugin for protools is going to be great for that stuff!
GrantB wrote:

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Lawrence wrote: so are you usingMIDI clock to track tempo changes within a single patch rather than changing patches?

I guess Id be using continuous controllers for that if I had to but my habit these days is to have a patch set with each tempo and change patches. Since I don't usually gig with a click (I hate clicks) Im accustomed to tapping in tempos on the fly - Ill give the drummer a tempo scratch but if they vary Ill re tap. I also prefer the excitement of live playing where things will NOT be the same every time....

I havent used MIDI clock since I was syncing Mastertracs Pro to an ADAT!.

The new Helix plugin for protools is going to be great for that stuff!
Man, that sounds awesome dude. Skills. I'm referring to home studio use.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Helix LT has been released! Seems to be $999 US, compared to the full Helix at $1499 so will probably end up here a smidge under $2k...

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.