EXPERIENCE PRS

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Re: EXPERIENCE PRS

Post by Conway »

olegmcnoleg wrote:There is a blue pre-lawsuit singlecut on TM... I like this model.

But I think I prefer the finish on the one Molly has at the moment.
The blue one on trademe was offered on here not long ago.

Pre lawsuit for PRS is a bit of a nonsense actually, as PRS won the lawsuit brought by Gibson, so it never had to make any changes to the design.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

olegmcnoleg wrote:There is a blue pre-lawsuit singlecut on TM... I like this model.

The other day I was asked how my 245 stacked-up against my lawsuit era PRS (same as that blue one on TM). This is what I thought:

Not having it to hand I have to go by memory. This one is certainly the more 'alive' of the two and I definitely prefer the pickups - Hulk pickups were nothing to write home about. The old one would've perhaps been better suited to high-gain stuff. What's clear to me is that PRS continue to develop their guitars even if the model name stays the same. If you offered to trade me the old one back plus the cash difference this one cost me (about an additional $1,100) I wouldn't be interested.

So I really think there's more to it than there might at first seem. My present one and that blue one on TM are very different guitars.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Conway wrote:

The blue one on trademe was offered on here not long ago.

Pre lawsuit for PRS is a bit of a nonsense actually, as PRS won the lawsuit brought by Gibson, so it never had to make any changes to the design.
No changes were made as a result of the lawsuit, BUT in recent years PRS have changed the formula of the Singlecuts quite a bit.

In fact if anything the Singlecut specs seem to be devolving into Gibson-type specs, with the introduction of things like:

- Neck binding
- 24.75" scale
- Two piece TOM bridges
- Pickups designed to emulate late 50s designs

I'm a huge fan of PRS but this trend is a little disappointing. For me, Paul's strength has always been in innovating and doing things that the other big two haven't done or don't do.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

I cycle between thinking that the PRS singlecut looks awesome, and that it looks like a slightly melted version of an LP.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

As I mentioned earlier I like different elements in both PRS SCs and the Les Paul. PRS has enough other designs that would keep me happily wallowing in PRS-ness had I been able to afford it. However, IMHO, the MacCarty SC594 is a perfect combination of what the elements I like in PRS SCs and LPs.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

slash-ed wrote:In fact if anything the Singlecut specs seem to be devolving into Gibson-type specs, with the introduction of things like:

- Neck binding
- 24.75" scale
- Two piece TOM bridges
- Pickups designed to emulate late 50s designs

I'm a huge fan of PRS but this trend is a little disappointing. For me, Paul's strength has always been in innovating and doing things that the other big two haven't done or don't do.
The scale length is 24.5" (or the new McCarty is 24.594"), and I think the pickups have always had a nod in that direction but continue to evolve as Paul wants them to go. But yeah, the binding and 2 piece bridges have been a bit controversial and are probably there in large part to entice Gibson buyers across.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Haha no, PRS pickups have never really been a nod towards any direction other than Paul's. Until this whole 58/08 59/09 etc nonsense began.

The #7 pickups that came in the original Singlecuts were hot as hell, no PAF pretense there.

24.75 / 24.5", potato/other potato. Abandoning the signature PRS scale length either way.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

slash-ed wrote:Haha no, PRS pickups have never really been a nod towards any direction other than Paul's. Until this whole 58/08 59/09 etc nonsense began.

The #7 pickups that came in the original Singlecuts were hot as hell, no PAF pretense there.

24.75 / 24.5", potato/other potato. Abandoning the signature PRS scale length either way.
The Custom 22/24 models - the PRS flagship - has always been, and remains 25" scale. But they've always had other scale lengths, like the Santana which I'm pretty sure has been 24.5" right from the start. They've also had 25.25" scale at times and now 24.594".

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Thanks to Conway's learned guidance I can add this to the thread and my collection :-)

It's a DGT. Lots of subtle differences to other, similar looking models; all of which I like the idea of.

Thanks Conway. :thumbup:

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Well done. :thumbup: No need to thank me Molly, you're the one who opened their wallet for it! :wink:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Conway wrote:Owned this one briefly after kiwiaxe and before opsguy then Molly.

Ah... Well, with the DGT on the way in, this may have to be on the way out. We'll see what Santa says. :-)

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sirvill »

What's that worth *sweats profusely*

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

sirvill wrote:What's that worth *sweats profusely*
$2,900 guvnor. Think that's what opsguy sold it to me for. Need to double-check. Anyway, whatever that was. :-)

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sirvill »

Hmmmm... thank you good sir, I shall consider this if you consider selling.

faceless
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by faceless »

Molly wrote:Thanks to Conway's learned guidance I can add this to the thread and my collection :-)

It's a DGT. Lots of subtle differences to other, similar looking models; all of which I like the idea of.

Thanks Conway. :thumbup:
Now that's the tobacco burst I am talking about.

These DGT's supposed to have thicker bodies like McCarty's. I heard heaps of great stuff about this model. Congrats!