Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Bass Learning Resources

Post by jeremyb »

Whose got some good video suggestions? Don't really want to play bass like a guitarist....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Re: Bass Learning Resources

Post by WellyBlues »

Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

jeremyb wrote:Whose got some good video suggestions? Don't really want to play bass like a guitarist....
Worked for Geezer Butler.

Scott's Bass Lessons (Youtube) is pretty awesome

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote: Don't really want to play bass like a guitarist....
Yeah because bassists hate it when you show them up :wink:

Although there is an element of truth to that joke, I used to play bass in a covers band and had a bass player from another band congratulate my excellent bass skills, but all I was doing was basically playing guitar licks on a bass.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Best bass skill is locking in with drums and getting out of the way of the melodic instruments most of the time!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Danger Mouse wrote:
jeremyb wrote: Don't really want to play bass like a guitarist....
Yeah because bassists hate it when you show them up :wink:

Although there is an element of truth to that joke, I used to play bass in a covers band and had a bass player from another band congratulate my excellent bass skills, but all I was doing was basically playing guitar licks on a bass.
:lol: I'm not a particularly good guitarist so it would be nice to learn bass properly, rather than be "just another failed guitarist" [tm] :mental:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

sirvill wrote:Best bass skill is locking in with drums and getting out of the way of the melodic instruments most of the time!
I guess this is why I seemed to make a good bass player, my sense of melody is shit, but my sense of rhythm is excellent.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

jeremyb wrote: I'm not a particularly good guitarist so it would be nice to learn bass properly, rather than be "just another failed guitarist" [tm] :mental:
I think that's a terrible idea.

Just play lots with other people, develop your own voice and stop worrying about sounding like someone else's definition of what a bass player should sound like. It's supposed to be about expressing yourself, why on earth would you want someone to tell you how to do that? Seems very counterproductive to me.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Vince wrote:
jeremyb wrote: I'm not a particularly good guitarist so it would be nice to learn bass properly, rather than be "just another failed guitarist" [tm] :mental:
I think that's a terrible idea.

Just play lots with other people, develop your own voice and stop worrying about sounding like someone else's definition of what a bass player should sound like. It's supposed to be about expressing yourself, why on earth would you want someone to tell you how to do that? Seems very counterproductive to me.
Hmmmm thats a good point, I've got my own thing going on with guitar...

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

I'd suggest learning songs that have sweet bass lines in them and practicing techniques other than picking

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Have you been promoted?
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

calling card wrote:Have you been promoted?
HA! Nope, purely for expanding my skills and trying to record some of my own songs at home :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Frey wrote:It's pretty easy if you know your theory and the chord changes. Just try to hold down the roots and outline the main chord tones with your arps. Try to spice it up melodically but always remember your going between the tones of the chords, don't get lost. Maybe record some bass, that's always a good reality check. Try to mix up more syncopated stuff with the usual eighth note stuff. I guess it depends on your genre really too. No harm in using some effects too.
Yeah theory knowledge is almost zero, really need to work on that :(

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

It's like changing gears except leave out 2nd. I mostly stay in 1st.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 836 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

My 2c... Timing is everything. Learn to lock in with your drummer, always have some sort of timing thing going when practicing - drum loop / metronome / foot tap etc. Its not so much about what note you play, and all about when you play it - the wrong note at the right time sounds better than the right note out of time.

Learn to blame the drummer for your mistakes - the drummer is already blaming their mistakes on you, get some payback.

And check out Frey's Youtube link if you haven't already. Larry Graham is the man.