Aria Pro II CS350

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Aria Pro II CS350

Post by Slowy »

cs350.jpg
cs350.jpg (32.8 KiB) Viewed 5326 times
This has just arrived in my office. It belongs to a colleague who has had it for 20 years. He arrived last year from South Africa and the airline has really done a number on the poor thing.

2 machine heads snapped off: Not a problem because I'm pretty sure Gotohs will drop straight in.

2 saddles broken. This is the issue. They are nasty pot metal things and replacement would be a bonus. But I've never seen anything like them. Anybody got some info or know who I should talk to? I've had a look at the Matsmoku website but it didn't help.

The guitar itself is not bad. Ash body, looks like 4 piece, straight neck but a bit too much fretwear around the cowboy chords to give credibility to the owner's claims of being a Metaller. :P Definitely worth resurrecting.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

danrawkz
PRS
PRS
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Aria Pro II CS350

Post by danrawkz »

Have an old fucked up CS250 here, pretty ugly imo, but used to play well back in the day before the saddles broke

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

If no saddles fit it you'd probably have to buy a set and machine off the edges.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

danrawkz wrote:Have an old fucked up CS250 here, pretty ugly imo, but used to play well back in the day before the saddles broke
Got any saddles left? :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

danrawkz
PRS
PRS
Been liked: 1 time

Post by danrawkz »

Unfortunately it's not mine, and I think the owner one day dreams of fixing it too :P

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

I had one of these many moons ago I was pretty happy with it at the time

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

nzsimon1 wrote:I had one of these many moons ago I was pretty happy with it at the time
Any ideas on where to get saddles? :D

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

sadly no could try bungalow bills he must have a bit of a collection of old stuff

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Are the saddles or their spacing really that unusual? If they're shit pot metal ones, why not replace them with some of the usual bent steel ones, which are much better?
http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/Detai ... &category=

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

nzsimon1 wrote:sadly no could try bungalow bills he must have a bit of a collection of old stuff
Blinding Flash of the Obvious!
Brilliant. Thanks Simon :D

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

OpenCoil wrote:Are the saddles or their spacing really that unusual? If they're shit pot metal ones, why not replace them with some of the usual bent steel ones, which are much better?
http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/Detai ... &category=
Good question. I haven't measured anything but a quick look wasn't encouraging. I'll have to get the owner to leave it with me for a while.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Hmm, yes, looking at this picture of a similar model, they are quite odd saddles.
http://www.vintageandrare.com/uploads/p ... iginal.jpg

I wonder if some saddles from a US Strat or Tele would work. They have the offset adjustment screw like the standard ones. Spacing would be the issue. Like these

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Or you could call Weta Guitars in Wellington. They're workshop-only these days. Might have something in a bin somewhere.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

teearraceewye wrote:Hi All! Just wondering if ANYONE has found replacement saddles that work, original or modified ... really desperate here .. alas the pride of my fleet sits idle .. thanks in advance for ANY leads -Tracy
Still working on it. I have a bunch of measurements to compare and just haven't got round to it yet. Watch this space.

And welcome to the Forum Tracy. :D

So you have a CS-350 as well?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

As best as I can measure. (In mm)

Aria Saddles:
L 17
W 10
H 9
E-E 52

Graphtech Saddles
L 20.7
W 10.41
H 5.84
E-E 52.73

I'm guessing the killer is the length of the Graphtechs. That extra 3.7 mm leaves no space for intonation.

Any insights appreciated, but I'm not confident enough to blow $75 on the off chance.