DJW amps

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

goldtop0
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

DJW amps

Post by goldtop0 »

Started looking on youtube and saw some clips over the months about these nz made amps also saw some on trademe when a buddy of mine got one mid last year.
A 2 x 6V6 15w head that is about the best amp I think I've ever played bar none.
Do any of you guys know if this maker is still around as I haven't been able to track down anything on the tube for a couple of weeks now.........seems to have gone off the air and also off trademe.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: DJW amps

Post by Bg »

looks like he's been disabled, I was looking at one of his auctions last night so its really recently. trader name is/was jam20, heres a link to one of his expired auctions. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Music-instrume ... 408342.htm
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I sold some tubes and amp parts to him, he is a decent sort and seems to have a fair bit of amp know how and good workmanship. From what I understand he is a experienced hobby builder and sells his projects to fund new ones. I have his email if you need it.

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

Looks like he is awol from ebay as well... that video sounded good though...
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

His name is David and I think he was selling up a lot of stuff for a change of career or location or some such big dramatic thing. I probably have his email somewhere if you want it.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Bungalow Bill used to carry some. Drop him a line.

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

Aquila Rosso wrote:I sold some tubes and amp parts to him, he is a decent sort and seems to have a fair bit of amp know how and good workmanship. From what I understand he is a experienced hobby builder and sells his projects to fund new ones. I have his email if you need it.

Thanks his email would be helpful :D

coelacanth
Stagg
Stagg

Post by coelacanth »

goldtop0 wrote:Started looking on youtube and saw some clips over the months about these nz made amps also saw some on trademe when a buddy of mine got one mid last year.
A 2 x 6V6 15w head that is about the best amp I think I've ever played bar none.
I had a chance to play through one of his amps called "Black Robin". Not sure if that's the one you tried out though. It's supposedly a 5E3 with a solid state rectifier. One of the best amps I've heard.

goldtop0
Squier

Post by goldtop0 »

coelacanth wrote:
goldtop0 wrote:Started looking on youtube and saw some clips over the months about these nz made amps also saw some on trademe when a buddy of mine got one mid last year.
I had a chance to play through one of his amps called "Black Robin". Not sure if that's the one you tried out though. It's supposedly a 5E3 with a solid state rectifier. One of the best amps I've heard.

Yes that's the one it's a real humdinger.Going to try a different valve in V1 and see if this tames her down at all.
That's part the reason I want to contact DJW...........to get more info on this unit.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Tone clips, or it never happened!
Tin arse!!

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

goldtop0 wrote:
coelacanth wrote:

Yes that's the one it's a real humdinger.Going to try a different valve in V1 and see if this tames her down at all.
That's part the reason I want to contact DJW...........to get more info on this unit.
Stock V1 tube in a 5E3 is a 12AY7. You could even use a 12AU7. Hard to truly tame that preamp though, with respect to how quickly the volume comes up and the overdrive kicks in, as the volume controls in the 5E3 circuit aren't wired as standard/traditional voltage dividers.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

coelacanth wrote:
A long time ago an amp was born....funny how something so crude & simple can sound so good 8)
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

coelacanth
Stagg
Stagg

Post by coelacanth »

The front panel might say 2xEL84, although what the amp actually uses is a pair of 6V6s - as in 5E3 of course. I'm not 100% sure, but I remember him saying that he'd done some experiments with EL84s in the circuit, but wasn't too happy with the results - went back to using 6V6s again. Purists might hate this, but I quite enjoyed the SS rectifier. I like the bass tight personally.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

coelacanth wrote:The front panel might say 2xEL84, although what the amp actually uses is a pair of 6V6s - as in 5E3 of course. I'm not 100% sure, but I remember him saying that he'd done some experiments with EL84s in the circuit, but wasn't too happy with the results - went back to using 6V6s again. Purists might hate this, but I quite enjoyed the SS rectifier. I like the bass tight personally.
Its a simple task to make it switchable between valve and ss - if a valve is installed to begin with. A PITA if one wasn't fitted though.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

hmmmm....tight bass.....

I agree on the SS thing for some applications, especially a 5E3 type of circuit. I guess it all comes down to the sound you want to have. The circuit reaches distortion super quick, so a saggy rectifier only adds to that overall saturated tone. But a SS rectifier keeps that sag in order better meaning the drive can be used differently....or at least in my experience. The 65 Amps Tupelo has a SS rect. and a 6V6 power section. I find that combination most pleasing!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves