SX Guitars

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

SX Guitars

Post by hamo »

Okay, I know this has been a topic before, but try searching "SX" or "SX Guitars" in the search function and see how far you get...

These often seem to go for a song on TM, but a few people on here seem to have had good things to say about them. So what's the verdict? Are they better than Epiphone and Squier? Are they good hunks of wood with staight necks and ratty electronics? Are they a lottery like other guitars at their price point? Are their LPs better than their strats?

I have strat GAS and no money. If I can scrape a couple of hand shandy together, is an SX strat a decent option?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: SX Guitars

Post by sgt mukuzi »

I have an SX neck on the X Vorbis scallop strat, the headstock is thicker than the realtone neck that came off it.
i ditched the body years ago, it was a little smaller than a standard strat. the pups, pots etc all went then aswell.

A good squire would be better than an SX imo, SX and the chaper squires are about the same.

not that i condone expensive squires
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I bought an SX neck from TM a couple of weeks ago which I've just finished stripping back to the wood and giving it the Tru-Oil finish, fret levelling/polishing and rolling the edges. It feels as good if not better than any strat neck I've played. No complaints at all. Dunno anything about the bodies.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

A mate of mine has an SX telecaster. Maple neck, vintage 3 saddle bridge. The tone is off the hook. It's amazing to play. I think he paid $200 for it secondhand. I keep making cheeky offers to buy it off him but he won't budge. It's better than some mexi tele's I've played.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

My former neighbour had an SX strat. Being a bit of novice, he'd picked it up because it ressembled Hendrix's white strat. I had a bit of a play on it through his practise amp, where it sounded okay, but put through my Rivera combo, the tone was much much better than you'd expect from a low-end brand. I'd probably pick one of these up if the price was right.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

philbit
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by philbit »

Nice looking guitars on their site pity about the strat headstocks they look ugly.
http://translate.google.co.nz/translate ... 26hs%3DrHk

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

When SX first came out I thought they were really good. The more recent ones can be a lottery I think, I've seen paint runs etc on some of them. But on the other hand I haven't bothered looking at an SX in the past year or two at least so they may be on top of their game again, who knows.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

slash-ed wrote:When SX first came out I thought they were really good. The more recent ones can be a lottery I think, I've seen paint runs etc on some of them. But on the other hand I haven't bothered looking at an SX in the past year or two at least so they may be on top of their game again, who knows.
They're notoriously inconsistent. You just gotta hunt down a good one..

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

I had an SX LP. I replaced everything on it apart from the body and neck and it was fricken awesome. It's the only guitar I have ever regretted selling.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Basket Case wrote:I had an SX LP. I replaced everything on it apart from the body and neck and it was fricken awesome. It's the only guitar I have ever regretted selling.
What did you put on it?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

I'm a fan of the SX basses because they seem a bit more resonant than your Squier or Epiphone with....

wait - no they are horrible. Leave them all for me to purchase. Mwah ahhahahahhahh
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

Gotoh hardware a Duncan JB and '59. It sounded really nice and the wood used looked like the real deal (Mahogany/Maple top) with a tobacco burst. I haven't seen many like it up for sale. I'd steer clear of the cheaper looking LPs they do (all one colour without binding).

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

Last year I got a new SX tele 50s style, stripped it and replaced everything bar the strap buttons, great wood on the one I got, 3 piece alder *cough* body, really resonant now the poly overcoat is off. A great feeling neck too, nice maple, fret ends needed the tiniest amount of work. As it came it played well, and sounded OK. Parts were the usual cheap asian stuff, but I was surprised at how good it was

This is what it was

And this is it now

Swoop
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Swoop »

Last edited by Swoop on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

I've had a couple of SX Strats, hardware on par with squier, body wood not ply. I don't like the vintage frets much, the last one I bought of TM for about $100, needed a good fret dressing but it played like a million bucks afterwards.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.