Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY Molly
#802865
sty wrote:

Just stumbled on this. Original Quo line up back on stage at Wembley not too long ago. I've been listening to vintage quo recently and Francis's lead guitar is great. Listen to that last guitar solo at the end of the video above.


I've got a 'Best of' early Quo somewhere. 'Down the Dustpipe' I always liked.
BY jubbathehog
#802869
Danger Mouse wrote:
willow13 wrote:
jubbathehog wrote:You guys and your fancy pants geetars. Turns out you just need a spade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-ltPsbw9g


I think that more comes down to talent .... clearly that dude has plenty of it


Are you trying to get one of your fellow forumites, who might have a propensity to make the most obvious jokes, say that he has talent in spades?

Because if you are, I'm not going to.


Yeah, I really dig what he's doing there.
User avatar
BY Bg
#802892
sty wrote:

Just stumbled on this. Original Quo line up back on stage at Wembley not too long ago. I've been listening to vintage quo recently and Francis's lead guitar is great. Listen to that last guitar solo at the end of the video above.

Have to say its easy to hate on them, that shite they put out in the eighties (margaritta time, in the army now etc) probably filled their bank accounts but must have lost them a few fans in the process.

I like to think of them as the english accadacca, happy to watch all of that.
BY Molly
#803928
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:This was interesting :-)


It was. Cool.

Never heard of using coconut oil on a fretboard. Did you notice the frets were quite dented?
User avatar
BY Mini Forklift Ⓥ
#803931
Molly wrote:Never heard of using coconut oil on a fretboard. Did you notice the frets were quite dented?

We always have coconut oil at home as we cook with it a lot and the missus uses it on her skin, never crossed my mind to use it on the fretboard. I'm thinking it might be a better alternative to lemon. Didn't notice about the frets, maybe due to the original nut being cut so low?

Oh and I've just noticed that my bridge is on backwards. Did a quick Google Image search of my guitar and seems like nearly all 2014 LP Traditionals have it on backwards, odd that.
BY Molly
#803933
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Molly wrote:Never heard of using coconut oil on a fretboard. Did you notice the frets were quite dented?

We always have coconut oil at home as we cook with it a lot and the missus uses it on her skin, never crossed my mind to use it on the fretboard. I'm thinking it might be a better alternative to lemon. Didn't notice about the frets, maybe due to the original nut being cut so low?

Oh and I've just noticed that my bridge is on backwards. Did a quick Google Image search of my guitar and seems like nearly all 2014 LP Traditionals have it on backwards, odd that.


With some of the wider bridges (don't ask me to quote their names - ABR1 XYZ ABC - f'ked if I know) it's hard to avoid the strings touching the back of the bridge regardless of which way around you put the saddle screws. Top-wrapping helps I reckon. If you flip your bridge you'll need to fart around changing the saddles because of the slots. Maybe just top-wrap it?
User avatar
BY Mini Forklift Ⓥ
#803941
Molly wrote:With some of the wider bridges (don't ask me to quote their names - ABR1 XYZ ABC - f'ked if I know) it's hard to avoid the strings touching the back of the bridge regardless of which way around you put the saddle screws. Top-wrapping helps I reckon. If you flip your bridge you'll need to fart around changing the saddles because of the slots. Maybe just top-wrap it?

Cool, good to know. Yep I always top-wrap :-)
User avatar
BY Mini Forklift Ⓥ
#804073
Cool video, always digged Richie's music. Amazing singer as well as guitarist.



Nice little run through of his signature Tele as well as the combo version of his new signature Victory amp... damn it looks nice :clap:
User avatar
BY Lyle
#804075
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Molly wrote:With some of the wider bridges (don't ask me to quote their names - ABR1 XYZ ABC - f'ked if I know) it's hard to avoid the strings touching the back of the bridge regardless of which way around you put the saddle screws. Top-wrapping helps I reckon. If you flip your bridge you'll need to fart around changing the saddles because of the slots. Maybe just top-wrap it?

Cool, good to know. Yep I always top-wrap :-)


ABR-1 is the skinnier bridge normally the intonation screws are pointing towards the neck, the Nashville style bridge is the wider one that normally has intonation screws pointing towards the tail piece. I think being wider the Nashville ones tend to have more issues with hitting the back of the bridge if you screw down the stoptail.
BY Molly
#804076
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Cool video, always digged Richie's music. Amazing singer as well as guitarist.

Nice little run through of his signature Tele as well as the combo version of his new signature Victory amp... damn it looks nice :clap:


It's a cool amp. I bought it over the Sheriff because I didn't want just another take on a Marshall and I think the RK has its own thing. Also liked the idea of built on trem, reverb and boost.

The boost adds a bit too much gain I reckon. It's more an increase in gain than volume though volume does increase a bit. It's a really dynamic amp though so it's easy to clean it up a bit by rolling back.
User avatar
BY mrmofo
#804198




User avatar
BY Mini Forklift Ⓥ
#804576
Have been watching this again tonight, second track is a ripper :clap:



Might take a few replays to spot him, but Greg Boyed in the audience at 9:31 (down towards the bottom right)? I would typically dismiss this but I know he was a guitarist and muso so it's a possibility :?:
User avatar
BY WellyBlues
#804892
this channel has some 15 minute pieces on the session men including Muscle Shoals and Motown. For those interested. Haven't watched them yet.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEF-5j ... A6GBpVTepw
  • 1
  • 318
  • 319
  • 320
  • 321
  • 322