Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY jeremyb
TmcB wrote:I would take none of those tbh.

SP comp is not bad for Ross type due to blend.

Diamond Bass Comp is nice but $$$

MXR Compressor is good but attack is very fast and the knob doesn’t do much.

Seymour Duncan one looks solid, the Vise Grip, but no experience hands on.

Aguilar TLC is excellent and in your range, more of a VCA type and I prefer them over optos now.

I run a Maxon CP9+ Pro and it’s the shit - my absolute favourite.

What I recommend? Aguilar TLC

Hadn't considered either of those, will do some research! The dude at www.ovnilab.com seems to rate them!!
BY slash-ed
jeremyb wrote:So... in the market for a compressor pedal, for guitar and bass, I've always had one in the past and love what it does to a clean signal, and enjoy the evening out of my picking... so far I have narrowed it to the following:

Pigtronix Philosophers Tone Micro - $219, and I have owned 2 of the full size before, great sounding compressor, not a fan of the micro pedals but it's an always on kind of thing so size not so important...

Boss CP-1X - $299, digital, does everything you can imagine, artificially intelligent sound shaping blah blah, pretty led strip meter... just not sure if it really excites me, maybe too sterile...

Orange Kongpressor - $269, Sounds amazing, very musical, probably way better toan than a hack like me requires, has heaps of output on tap so can boost a clean amp into distortion, sounds great on bass or guitar, I really get excited by this one, future proofing for if I ever become good enough to warrant it...

Caline Pressure Tank - $40 rip off of the Diamond Optical Comp, sounds really great, doesn't even look too cheap... hmmm....

I think I really want the Kongpressor, but what would you guys do?

Certainly recommend that you give a CP-1X a play if you can. All the stated bells and whistles aside, it's just a fantastic and really natural sounding compressor. It's probably because it's digital (multi-band intelligent bla bla) that it can do this so effectively.
BY Kloppsta
dooooood, just buy my Diamond Comp and be done with it :wink: :thumbup:

if its good enough for Hevy Devy and a bajillion other artists, its good enough for me and you 8)

Will drop it to $210 incl. postage for you if that is of any interest?
BY jeremyb
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:I’m not into compressors at all, but if I was looking for one I’d definitely factor in the Cali76

Yeah they're just crazy money for what they are :(
BY jeremyb
Looks like the Keeley GC-2 is an improvement over the Maxon, whhhheeeeeeee rabbit hole...
BY jeremyb
Kloppsta wrote:dooooood, just buy my Diamond Comp and be done with it :wink: :thumbup:

if its good enough for Hevy Devy and a bajillion other artists, its good enough for me and you 8)

Will drop it to $210 incl. postage for you if that is of any interest?

Thanks for the offer dude, hooked on getting a VCA style one now :mental:
BY Conway
I just won the Analog.Man bi-comp on trademe this morning, so my Philospher's Tone Gold is definitely for sale...
BY TmcB
jeremyb wrote:Looks like the Keeley GC-2 is an improvement over the Maxon, whhhheeeeeeee rabbit hole...

Yep, looks good!
BY jeremyb
TmcB wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Looks like the Keeley GC-2 is an improvement over the Maxon, whhhheeeeeeee rabbit hole...

Yep, looks good!

Gonna grab one off reverb me thinks!

BY jeremyb
Picked up a B-Stock one for $250NZ shipped, within my budget and epic AF, thanks team!
BY bender
jeremyb wrote:
TmcB wrote:

Yep, looks good!

Doesn't the Rockshop stock Keeley. Worth trying Dave?
BY jeremyb
bender wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
TmcB wrote:
Yep, looks good!

Doesn't the Rockshop stock Keeley. Worth trying Dave?

They don't have any in stock :( Plus the RRP here would likely be $399 I'd imagine!
BY jeremyb
MogwaiBoy wrote:I love my dynamics so no comp for me, but if was going to get a comp, it'd be the Diamond.

I love dynamics too, I mainly use it to even things out, you can still hit hard and get that big boost, but the other stuff becomes more even, calmingly so :mental:
BY Bg
jeremyb wrote:
foal30 wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
Dyna comps are not my thing, once you've had a decent optical comp theres no going back!

Kloppsta is selling a Diamond...

Yeah, but for that sorta money I'd rather have the Kongpressor ;)

Dude, didn't you recently say you would buy the real deal rather than the ip ripoffs?
Maybe I misread :)

As a purveyor of digital ripoffs, in the helix, it bothers me not.