Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Nope, doesn't speak to me in the slightest.

Mind you, I have achieved mediocrity in so many things, professionally and personally, that I have long accepted it is who I am and what I am capable of. Effortless levels of mediocrity are what I strive for. If it gets too hard, I'll go be mediocre at something else.

Can I manage to be good at some of them? Yep, which is more than good enough, excellent is far too much like hard work.
BY Slowy
Molly wrote:I tend to give too much time to my hobbies. I wonder how much I could've achieved if so much guitar-related crap didn't keep pushing its way to the front of my mind.

For all the good hard work has done me over the years, I probably should have played more guitar.
BY jeremyb
Molly wrote:I tend to give too much time to my hobbies. I wonder how much I could've achieved if so much guitar-related crap didn't keep pushing its way to the front of my mind.

You would just have another hobby that you have the same behaviour with, it's human nature :) At least you've got really good at guitar, I've dithered back and forth across a multitude of hobbies and never got more than mediocre at any of them, so now I'm focusing on being a great Dad, thats given me some meaning and then the rest of the stuff can just be for fun :)
jeremyb wrote:

You would just have another hobby that you have the same behaviour with, it's human nature :) At least you've got really good at guitar, I've dithered back and forth across a multitude of hobbies and never got more than mediocre at any of them, so now I'm focusing on being a great Dad, thats given me some meaning and then the rest of the stuff can just be for fun :)

That’s agreeably profound. And in accordance with the intent of the quoted article: have hobbies but don't be pressured by them.
BY Slowy
olegmcnoleg wrote:Only took me 1 minute to read as my hobby is speed reading and I’m really good at it, thanks to all the practice I do.

:-)

I have never caught a whiff of mediocrity around you, Oleg. I’d go as far as saying you have no place in this thread :-)
I dive headlong into a sport for a few years and then either end up getting bored or burnt out.

Cycling/Triathlon/Powerlifting/ultramarathons

I guess the positive is that this has allowed me to remain injury free, plus getting solid experience in a number of different sports. But staying true to this thread the end result is that I’m fantastically average in all of them; who knows if I could have actually achieved something if I had focused on just one.
BY jeremyb
HappyEnding wrote:
jeremyb wrote:

That’s agreeably profound. And in accordance with the intent of the quoted article: have hobbies but don't be pressured by them.

Funnily enough I didn't read the article :rofl: should really get round to that :mrgreen:
BY chur

I think about it a lot, and watch a lot of youtube, if only I actually practiced as much..
BY Molly
chur wrote:

I think about it a lot, and watch a lot of youtube, if only I actually practiced as much..

This is me too. I think having a band would change things.