Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Tone settings

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

How do you set your tone knobs on your amp?

I've been thinking a bit about this recently, as I am in the process of transitioning to a full blown mids kind of thing. Up until recently, I basically set everything at 12 o'clock, and pushed things up a little from there depending on my mood - usually a little bit of extra bass (I like a fat sound).

But I'm currently trying out this - bass 0, mids 10, treble 7, presence 6. Long way from the scoop I rocked as a teenager! :oh:

For some context, this is on a Bogner Ecstasy (plexi channel) through a 4x12 with greenbacks. With a full range treble booster.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Tone settings

Post by Single coil »

Peavey vk212

Both eqs at noon, with the exception of clean which has a little bass rolled off.
Presence just above noon, resonance (presence for bass) just below half.
Gain boost off.
Gain at about 10 o’clock.

EQ in the effects loop (solo boost) set to a gentle mid boost, big muff relatively flat ...

Kinda funny - once I’d set my amp eq to noon across the board, all my guitars sorta came into their own, and a lot less pissing round was required.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Was on the bass cut lots of mids thing for a while.

Now on pedals set for mids, amp set for mild scoop.

A lot of it depends on what the bass players current EQ taste is.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Single coil wrote: Kinda funny - once I’d set my amp eq to noon across the board, all my guitars sorta came into their own, and a lot less pissing round was required.
Yeah, I like the 'less fucking about' aspect of that approach. I had a Supro for a while that had a single knob for tone - I really dug that. I'm not much of a tweaker...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Matt Schofield was talking about this. On every amp he just sweeps the knobs until he hears it start to really do something. And that's where he leaves it. Reckons that's the best balance or something.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Also a good way to go - either go from 0 until you hear it doing its job, or go from 10 and take it away until you have what you need.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Molly wrote:Matt Schofield was talking about this. On every amp he just sweeps the knobs until he hears it start to really do something. And that's where he leaves it. Reckons that's the best balance or something.
Exactly what I do, then I kind of pick that part of the 'sweet spot' that I like. Interestingly, most amps I have played or own aren't too far away from each other in terms of their settings.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Molly wrote:Matt Schofield was talking about this. On every amp he just sweeps the knobs until he hears it start to really do something. And that's where he leaves it. Reckons that's the best balance or something.

I saw that. I tried it too, and it was really cool. He said you can also try it with guitar tone and volume pots.

I remember hearing that greenbacks don't like a lot of bass when played loud, so sounds like you've got that sorted.

There is another cool thing that you can do when setting it up. I'll dig out the article and post it.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I just move mine about until it sounds how I like, job done!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

AiRdAd wrote:He said you can also try it with guitar tone and volume pots.
I do this with all my tones. Roll right off and gradually roll it back up until it starts biting.

AiRdAd wrote:There is another cool thing that you can do when setting it up. I'll dig out the article and post it.
The Macarena? :mental:

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

AiRdAd wrote:

I saw that. I tried it too, and it was really cool. He said you can also try it with guitar tone and volume pots.

I remember hearing that greenbacks don't like a lot of bass when played loud, so sounds like you've got that sorted.

There is another cool thing that you can do when setting it up. I'll dig out the article and post it.
Here you go :thumbup:

Jump to 26.03

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

any of you done kiwi covers and done exponents who luv's who the most, what effect did you use to get that swirly guitar tone

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Quick amp specific for mine - my Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 was very sensitive, so I followed the John Petrucci guide (essentially lowish bass, stop when it gets flubby, put the mids up until it gets boxy, and then treble to taste as treble adds gain too on Mark Vs)

On teh Rivera they don't do as much so I don't tinker too much, general flavour of the amp stays pretty true throughout the range.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

kwhelan wrote:any of you done kiwi covers and done exponents who luv's who the most, what effect did you use to get that swirly guitar tone
Could be a phaser, but it's very deep sounding. You could try a univibe type sound as well?

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:

Here you go :thumbup:

Jump to 26.03
I need to give that a go at some point...looks very logical
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be