Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Show Us Your Tone

Post by Molly »

AiRdAd wrote:I agree... do you do requests! :-)
LOL. Can you imagine the responses if I said yes?

These recent clips of this or that bit of gear have kind of brought home to me how narrow my playing has become. I run out of ideas so fast these days, and there's usually other stuff I'm unhappy with too. But it's just a quick snapshot of an amp or whatever so I shouldn't beat myself up too much.

Be nice to get my shit together on this though; get some recording gear and learn my way around the some video software. Might force me to be a bit more thoughtful about my playing instead of it just being one idle noodle after another.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Molly wrote:

These recent clips of this or that bit of gear have kind of brought home to me how narrow my playing has become. I run out of ideas so fast these days, and there's usually other stuff I'm unhappy with too. But it's just a quick snapshot of an amp or whatever so I shouldn't beat myself up too much.

Be nice to get my shit together on this though; get some recording gear and learn my way around the some video software. Might force me to be a bit more thoughtful about my playing instead of it just being one idle noodle after another.
Imagine if you did a video review of gear when you bought it, you'd have a larger portfolio of videos than Pete Thorn!!! :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 801 times

Post by hamo »

Molly wrote:

Watching your latest got me thinking you should find a local cafe and offer to do live music for them. Either that, or write some songs. That'll get you planning out your playing a bit more. /ManInGlassHouseThrowingStones
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

hamo wrote:Watching your latest got me thinking you should find a local cafe and offer to do live music for them. Either that, or write some songs. That'll get you planning out your playing a bit more. /ManInGlassHouseThrowingStones
DETOUR:

The café will probably tell you that they just play a bunch of CDs and that it doesn't take up room or cost very much. And they know what they're getting.

I don't know about where Molly is but, in Wellington at least, there is at least one open mike a night. It's great, you turn up, play a few songs, meet other musician/songwriter types, blah blah blah. Some people go to the pub to play a couple of games of pool, I go there to play a few songs. Last one I went to there was a duo playing didjeridoo and drums, an electronica duo, a couple of garden variety singers with acoustic guitars, a bunch of electric guitar guys with loopers and so on. Oh, and some guy playing solo acoustic bass. So it's not that earnest coffee house folk thing. Well, it doesn't have to be.

Back on topic:

I agree with the guy on the video. Unless you play guitar on your own, "tone" must be in function of whatever you are playing.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Vince wrote: I don't know about where Molly is but, in Wellington at least, there is at least one open mike a night. It's great, you turn up, play a few songs, meet other musician/songwriter types, blah blah blah.
I live in the middle of nowhere. Hoping that'll change soon. There used to be a pub jam thing in Ashburton last Sunday of each month but it got so that bands would turn up and just hog the few hours that were available and the chances to get up and jam disappeared. I stopped going.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

that gold top sounds rather nice.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Molly wrote:

Do you play to backing tracks at all? A bit tricky to do with a loud amp tho, unless you can use it with something like a Torpedo and studio monitors (or mic up the amp in an isolated space).

For backing tracks I like the ones on YouTube called 'Now You Shred', because they are designed to allow use of stuff outside of the pentatonic and highlight some non-pentatonic note options as the chords change. I find I can break out of my noodling defaults and come up with new stuff using these vids.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

mrmofo wrote:that gold top sounds rather nice.
It really does. Suspect the unpotted BK Mules (pretty low output) are at the heart of it. I've tried it through a couple of amps now and it sound nice through all of them.

That Boogie has V30s. Be interested to try it through a couple of other speakers I've got about here as I've never been that keen on them. Was thinking I'd cut the combo down to just a head (it's just the heaviest single bit of kit I've ever owned - mentally so). The Lonestar had a head option that had a really simple case. Will go for something like that.

From this.

To this.
Last edited by Molly on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Aquila Rossa wrote:
Molly wrote:

Do you play to backing tracks at all?
Yes. I just type something into YouTube and seem what comes up. I don't stray much further from pentatonic / diatonic. Maybe harmonic and melodic minor. The occasional passing flattened 5th. That's all. Basically this 99% of the time:

Will check out the one you suggested. Ta.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Molly wrote:
mrmofo wrote:that gold top sounds rather nice.
It really does. Suspect the unpotted BK Mules (pretty low output) are at the heart of it. I've tried it through a couple of amps now and it sound nice through all of them.

That Boogie has V30s. Be interested to try it through a couple of other speakers I've got about here as I've never been that keen on them. Was thinking I'd cut the combo down to just a head (it's just the heaviest single bit of kit I've ever owned - mentally so). The Lonestar had a head option that had a really simple case. Will go for something like that.

From this.

To this.
Nooooo

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Will check out the one you suggested. Ta.
Mixolydian backing tracks are really good box breakers because the bog standard pentatonic licks just don't lend themselves well to the fretboard shape of that mode. It forces you to do other stuff, but in that mode nice sounding stuff is quite easy to invent. Still can do loads of bends, but they have a very different flavour in that mode. it can sound anywhere from Satch thru to being quite country sounding. The backing track I use for it allow you to also slip in major and minor pentatonics of the same key.

p.s. for this backing track, just play E minor scale rooted on D, i.e Mixolydian.
Last edited by Aquila Rossa on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Molly wrote:Was thinking I'd cut the combo down to just a head (it's just the heaviest single bit of kit I've ever owned - mentally so). The Lonestar had a head option that had a really simple case. Will go for something like that.
Nah don't bother. You probably would have already sold it before it comes back from the carpenter.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

godgrinder wrote:
Molly wrote:Was thinking I'd cut the combo down to just a head (it's just the heaviest single bit of kit I've ever owned - mentally so). The Lonestar had a head option that had a really simple case. Will go for something like that.
Nah don't bother. You probably would have already sold it before it comes back from the carpenter.
Yeah, you're probably right...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Aquila Rossa wrote:
Mixolydian backing tracks are really good box breakers ...
Always made a point of moving between the boxes. Spent a lot of time coming up with sequences to deliberately make me play more horizontally. And I always liked it when I saw other guys do that; start in a lower position and play some cool sequence that ended way at the other end of the neck. Think Gary Moore in the 'Out in the Fields' solo.

From 2.43

Some of it early in this:

Edit: Can't believe how shit that Boogie 25 sounds now I hear it back two years later.

Anyway, don't really employ any techniques to make things sound hyper-fast. By the time my peers were learning arpeggio sweeps I'd discovered SRV and was off in an entirely different direction.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Phone recording and I'm rusty for not playing much recently. Also my Youtube link wont embed for some reason...

This is kind of a brown sound type thing with the gain rolled back a bit. Been considering going for more of an Allen Hinds low gain tone as well which I will have to work in at some point.
Last edited by Zaulkin on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.