The best tone I think I've ever had...

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: The best tone I think I've ever had...

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:
Bg wrote:
griff7628 wrote:
Shit I didn't know Beck played on that!
Claptons playing on pros and cons of hitchhiking is damned tasty too.

For me of all the guitarists that have played with Roger, Gilmour is probably the most boring... Gilmours solo work really just leaves me feeling cheated.
This. And another reason why I've given up buying CDs.

Feel sure he recorded that JH track on a Tele. Maybe that's what I saw him use on Later. Great tone regardless.
Maybe, there's live footage of him using the strat too
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Bg wrote:snowy rig rundown from the wall shows, well worth a watch - no fancy pedals or amps :)

Please... Clean that filthy Les Paul. It looks diseased :lol:

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Bg wrote:snowy rig rundown from the wall shows, well worth a watch - no fancy pedals or amps :)

Wow Vox does it again! Thanks for this

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

griff7628 wrote:My close-to-dream solo tone is on Roger Waters In The Flesh Live album. Have a listen to the solo on Another Brick In The Wall pt 2. Dave Kilminster, his guitarist, plays a tele through a Brunetti amp with a Hermida Zendrive on. It's gorgeous.
Just had a listen. Sounds very much like my Korinacaster... through my Zendrive. And I like it too. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Cdog wrote:

Snowy can't be much of a player, a pedalboard full of Line6 and Boss........
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote:
griff7628 wrote:My close-to-dream solo tone is on Roger Waters In The Flesh Live album. Have a listen to the solo on Another Brick In The Wall pt 2. Dave Kilminster, his guitarist, plays a tele through a Brunetti amp with a Hermida Zendrive on. It's gorgeous.
Just had a listen. Sounds very much like my Korinacaster... through my Zendrive. And I like it too. :D
so which one did you like best the upside down strat or the 50's LP :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote:
Slowy wrote:
so which one did you like best the upside down strat or the 50's LP :P
You mean Doyle or Snowy? Haven't compared them. Guess I have to now.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Slowy wrote:
Cdog wrote:

Snowy can't be much of a player, a pedalboard full of Line6 and Boss........
Yeah.. Mike Campbell is a real hack too :D
Loving it so far

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

These Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker pups are hands down the best I have ever had. Most pups I have had have either been various Gibosn USA ones, Dimarzio and different EMGs. I had some fancy single coils I did ot like. Name of them escapes me. Started with K. Only tried Bareknuckles etc in other people's gats. These SD pups are the first ones I have really, really liked. In the 245 they sing with sustain and harmonic overtones as well. They also have clarity and note separation. I am looking forward to trying them in a tube amp soon. maybe time to power up the tube screamer Fuzzie Bro built me. That thing sings too.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by StratMatt »

I'm really toying with the idea of kitting my guitars out with new pickups. My LP has 36th Annis which are hard to fault, though I can't escape the thought that Mules would be better. The SG would then get the 36th PAFs. My PRS has never been quite there; I've settled on the idea of BKP Rebel Yells for that. Brushed nickle covers with burnt chrome bolts look so good.
Loving it so far

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Aquila Rossa wrote:These Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker pups are hands down the best I have ever had. Most pups I have had have either been various Gibosn USA ones, Dimarzio and different EMGs. I had some fancy single coils I did ot like. Name of them escapes me. Started with K. Only tried Bareknuckles etc in other people's gats. These SD pups are the first ones I have really, really liked. In the 245 they sing with sustain and harmonic overtones as well. They also have clarity and note separation. I am looking forward to trying them in a valve amp soon. maybe time to power up the valve screamer Fuzzie Bro built me. That thing sings too.
StratMatt wrote:I'm really toying with the idea of kitting my guitars out with new pickups. My LP has 36th Annis which are hard to fault, though I can't escape the thought that Mules would be better. The SG would then get the 36th PAFs. My PRS has never been quite there; I've settled on the idea of BKP Rebel Yells for that. Brushed nickle covers with burnt chrome bolts look so good.
My SG has an interesting pair of Seymour Duncans in it. The neck is a lovely vintage-output thing. They remind me of how you describe the WLH set. The bridge is much hotter and more compressed. Decided I'm not going to do that thing where I try to make all my guitars sound like the one I like the best. I'm going to keep the SG as something a bit different so this set are staying in. That SG might be the best $1,000 guitar I ever bought (even if it is bright red).

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/nazgul-sentient-set

Love BKs by the way. Go with unpotted when I have the choice but I'm not using loads of gain or volume so can get away with it. Putting a Mississippi Queen in the neck of my Tele as soon as i get a moment. Still got a Riff Raff bridge here that'll find a home sooner or later.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by StratMatt »

Do you find the Mule bridge underpowered at all Molly? Let me know if the Riff Raff needs a new home.
Loving it so far

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

I remember having a really great tone when I had my g&l (EMG SA, SA, 81), into a mesa boogie lonestar classic and using a BB preamp/Suhr riot for gain. Pretty sure I remember it being way better than it actually was though.

Currently one of my superstrats + the AX-8 Brit Pre Lead patch into FRFR covers almost everything I need, and it sounds damn good. Need to make a clip for that other thread sometime.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

StratMatt wrote:Do you find the Mule bridge underpowered at all Molly? Let me know if the Riff Raff needs a new home.
Not yet. The Riff Raff actually measures less if you look at the BK site. The SD in the bridge of the SG measures double but it doesn't translate to double the output or some crazy gain. Anyway, if you'd have asked me before I bought the SG I'd have said I prefer lower output pickups but I think it really depends on the pickup itself. So I don't think I'd have such a narrow search in the future.

Will hang on to the Riff Raff for the mo but dibs noted. Cheers.

Jim.h
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Jim.h »

Great playing! and an awesome tone! I am a fan. Keep posting vids too. I really enjoy them.