Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

NPSD

Post by Vince »

I've always been bothered by the way that,with bass, no matter what you do, the music comes up to waist height at best. Not too bad if you have people doing high pitched things like paying guitar or singing or whatever, but being on your own the limited highs can be a bit limiting.

So I bought an EHX Pitchfork from Music Planet. I'm having a great time with it. I figure that between the pitch shifter and the looper I bought years ago but have never used onstage, I can do some really big sounds. The PitchFork adds an higher and a lower octave. There's a dial where the higher octave can be one, two or three octaves above whatever you are playing. The dial also lets you pick intervals, such as a perfect fourth or fifth, a minor third (I think) and so on.

It can sound a little bright but with judicious use of the blend knob, it sounds a lot more natural. There's also a "momentary" mode, where the effect only runs while the switch is held down. That's great for times when you want to play something in the lower register and have an "answer" in the higher.

Great purchase, glad I did it.

"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Re: NPSD

Post by sirvill »

The PItchfork is my pitch shifter of choice... its cool! So many options for the price.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

sirvill wrote:The PItchfork is my pitch shifter of choice... its cool! So many options for the price.
I loved the "You shifty little devil" writing on the box, too. :)
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I used to love mine, especially in the detune mode to get a chorus effect, very cool pedal!
Last edited by jeremyb on Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I've got one too, very cool pedals!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

jeremyb wrote:I used to love mine, especially in the detune mode to get a chorus effect, very cool pedal!
You speak in past tense. Out of curiosity, what made you get rid of it?

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Vince wrote:
jeremyb wrote:I used to love mine, especially in the detune mode to get a chorus effect, very cool pedal!
You speak in past tense. Out of curiosity, what made you get rid of it?
Once I got the HD500X it was no longer required :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

I also had one and moved it on.

In my case, playing guitar, and wanting it to produce bass lines for loops, I found the very slight processing lag disconcerting - to me the bass needs to be bang on. But guitar not so much.

I think the way you're using it is perfect - putting in the bass line and getting the PF to add higher noise, then the lag won't matter. To be clear, it wasn't a huge lag, and others have said it doesn't matter - so I must be over sensitive (or imagining it).
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

LucyTheSpud
Squier
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Delayman wrote:I also had one and moved it on.

In my case, playing guitar, and wanting it to produce bass lines for loops, I found the very slight processing lag disconcerting - to me the bass needs to be bang on. But guitar not so much.

I think the way you're using it is perfect - putting in the bass line and getting the PF to add higher noise, then the lag won't matter. To be clear, it wasn't a huge lag, and others have said it doesn't matter - so I must be over sensitive (or imagining it).
The tracking isnt perfect. Still better than most other pitch shifters. Shits all over the POG pedals. When the pitchforks arrived in the country i got one of the first batch of 12 that arrived. Had it and used it for ages. Only stopped when i got the Pitchfactor. Even then, the tracking isnt perfect, and thats a pedal worth a lot more.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

LucyTheSpud wrote:

The tracking isnt perfect. Still better than most other pitch shifters. Shits all over the POG pedals. When the pitchforks arrived in the country i got one of the first batch of 12 that arrived. Had it and used it for ages. Only stopped when i got the Pitchfactor. Even then, the tracking isnt perfect, and thats a pedal worth a lot more.
I wonder if people who use them all the time (for looping specifically) adjust their playing to suit - playing slightly ahead of the beat. Woudn't matter so mucy as part of a multioctave wall of sound.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

LucyTheSpud
Squier
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Delayman wrote:
LucyTheSpud wrote:

I wonder if people who use them all the time (for looping specifically) adjust their playing to suit - playing slightly ahead of the beat. Woudn't matter so mucy as part of a multioctave wall of sound.
Local guy uses one for looping while playing an acoustic. Always sounds good to me, once its in the context of a mix. By itself all harmony generators sound rough. But he makes it work.