Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Re: What are you learning?

Post by Lawrence »

Kiwiaxe wrote:Trying to learn the 20 seconds or so of Cliffs of Dover that I've never quite nailed.

Same goes for about 20 seconds of Love of God that keeps defeating me.

Also trying to learn Trademark. That song is deceptively difficult in places.
Kudos!
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I'm just trying to get the skin on my finger to harden up again so it doesn't hurt :rofl:

I don't usually learn songs anymore so I have been working on a few riffs, although I am trying to learn Tyrants by Immortal....that right hand stuff is proving tougher than I thought it would
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Recycling stuff I've learnt and forgotten in the past. Very slow work in progress with Hendrix purple haze and voodoo child. I chip away things for years...
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote:I'm learning to create stuff with my new keyboard... I gave up on learning other peoples music a long time ago, I just find it frustrating, not just from a technical standpoint but also from an emotional one, I just can't get into playing something that someone else has created, it never brings the feels from playing it like you get from listening to the original, but if you come up with your own stuff you can zone out and enjoy being in the moment....
So glad to hear someone else put this down into words! I'm in exactly the same situation! I find some enjoyment in learning from tabs and watching performances closely on Youtube, but only to steal the ideas. Unfortunately learning to create stuff is quite slow going since I have rather slim understanding of music.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

Polar Bear wrote:Barracuda
Heartbreaker
Material Girl

Covers band...
Ooooh, Barracuda!
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

chur wrote:
hamo wrote:
TmcB wrote:What are you learning at the moment?
All the words to all the Hairy MacLairy books.

These aren't too bad.. wait til you get to the cat n the hat series :shock: I want some of what Dr. Seuss was on..
Yeah, I do find HM to be among the less painful reads. Try reading Dora The Explorer books - also seem to be written by someone with a drug habit, but not a cool one like Dr Seuss (which we're also into, courtesy of my older girl).
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

codedog wrote:
jeremyb wrote:I'm learning to create stuff with my new keyboard... I gave up on learning other peoples music a long time ago, I just find it frustrating, not just from a technical standpoint but also from an emotional one, I just can't get into playing something that someone else has created, it never brings the feels from playing it like you get from listening to the original, but if you come up with your own stuff you can zone out and enjoy being in the moment....
So glad to hear someone else put this down into words! I'm in exactly the same situation! I find some enjoyment in learning from tabs and watching performances closely on Youtube, but only to steal the ideas. Unfortunately learning to create stuff is quite slow going since I have rather slim understanding of music.
Collaboration is the key, in my band we all bring ideas along and they often turn into songs, on my own it's way harder, easy to get a cool riff or something, but turning it into a whole song is hard for sure!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Practiced some tele slide craft last night, tinnitus has upped it's volume this morning.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

Dust In The Wind - Kansas. Getting used to travis picking is harder than I thought.
Make Music Great Again

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

Clanger wrote:Dust In The Wind - Kansas. Getting used to travis picking is harder than I thought.
Once you get that sorted, have a go at the 'rite of passage' A minor clawhammer tune.
Can't get a better teacher than the Grand Master himself

Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

tubeswell
Gibson
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by tubeswell »

Mississippi John Hurt tunes are good for learning claw picking too.
He who dies with the most toobs... wins

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 29 times

Post by stratkiwi »

Deep purple: Burn and smoke on the water
Ted Nugent: Cat scratch fever
also learning some stuff by the misfits their stuff is pretty basic but excessively catchy and no guitar solos to worry about

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 406 times

Post by dayl »

Im learning how to play an 8 string. Even with all the time spent on 7's, it's still much harder than I anticipated. I'm way way out of practice though. I guess I'll just djent djent djent djent to compensate for my lack of skill.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

I knackered my shoulders at the end of the ski season so I'm got numbness in my first finger of my fretting hand, also get tired shoulders so can't play for too long at the moment, although hopefully things will get back to normal shortly. I'm still trying to learn stuff though.

Fortunate Son - loved it in Suicide Squad and found a standard tuning lesson
Wrathchild - Still trying to nail that fast riff when I get a session.

Fancy trying to learn some Classic Alice Cooper (Cold Ethyl seemed good, and Elected) and some Thin Lizzy (had started with Jailbreak a while back), might chase down some backing tracks.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

trying to "learn" how to drum to one of my songs. it shifts from 5/4 to 9/8 to 4/4 then repeat .... its really fucking with my VERY basic drumming brain
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be