danmunners
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: What are you learning?

Post by danmunners »

I'm trying to get better at lead and someone suggested I learn Vai and Satriani. I've never even listened to them before. Not my kind of music but like Paganini, I can appreciate the skill. I'm learning For The Love of God by Vai first. The bends/tricks/vibrato is fairly easy, for me it's the shredding that will be a bit more difficult. I can play fast fingerstyle, coming from a classical background but my pickwork leaves a bit to be desired.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

danmunners wrote:I'm trying to get better at lead and someone suggested I learn Vai and Satriani. I've never even listened to them before. Not my kind of music but like Paganini, I can appreciate the skill. I'm learning For The Love of God by Vai first. The bends/tricks/vibrato is fairly easy, for me it's the shredding that will be a bit more difficult. I can play fast fingerstyle, coming from a classical background but my pickwork leaves a bit to be desired.
You could try some tasteful shredding and look into Andy Timmons. Also Satriani has some pretty cool stuff that has been dwarfed by his more mainstream hits.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

yeah, Andy Timmons is your man. He has great subtlety and restraint in his playing, really inspirational. Plus his tone is also a lot more, um, musical, to my ears.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Wheeeeee looks like I'll be recreating some new order tracks too! Time to channel my inner Gillian!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

https://youtu.be/ecoWjR3fDT0
without the singing of course

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:Wheeeeee looks like I'll be recreating some new order tracks too! Time to channel my inner Gillian!
dude, I've spent a couple of weeks immersed in vanishing point, which is my favourite technique track. Still loving it. The auckland band is actually taking shape, I'm not ready yet but hey.... :) I'll post a preview track later, just want to get some bass in, but I'm pretty happy with the mix. Its a live mix with no finesse, but sounds great for what I want
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

and yeah, you guys are welcome to be our support band when we play down that way ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote:and yeah, you guys are welcome to be our support band when we play down that way ;)
The generosity! :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

jeremyb wrote:
Bg wrote:and yeah, you guys are welcome to be our support band when we play down that way ;)
What songs are you looking at covering?
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

foal30 wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
What songs are you looking at covering?
All of them :) nah I'm not made up yet, 3 sets of 8 songs maybe. Predominantly New Order but best joy division in there. If we did a gig together we'd pick and choose :)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

really chuffed with that one. All these tracks I've created in Logic Pro, so depending on gig/numbers of people in the band/I can drop tracks in and out.... That one has 3 bass parts in it, I think the main part is a bit low in the mix and the chorus is not hooky standard, need the ehx for that...

Have always loved vanishing point. I have to do Round and Round too :)
Let me know when you get bored ;)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Nice work Beeg, I'll upload my version of blue monday at some point :)

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

I never got into Technique but top job on those tracks. Low Life and Power Corruption and Lies would be my top 2 albums.

Read up on the current stuff last week.... Seems Hook has isolated himself somewhat.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

I am learning some Amy Winehouse , Charles Mingus and reworking an old Equus album :shock: May be life in the old horse yet.