MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Re: Better tone and ideas

Post by MattH »

This is all great stuff, but I'd love to hear some tips on how to get that tone in your fingers. Any vibrato tips or phrasing tips. Any good vids?
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Pretty sure there's procedure or something?

https://www.google.co.nz/webhp?sourceid ... INJEkshuns

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattH »

Bloody gear heads...

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

MattH wrote:Any vibrato tips....?
Back when I was a teenager and obsessed with Yngwie Malmsteen, I spent a solid week doing nothing except work on my vibrato....trying to develop that extra wide-style vibrato that Yngwie has.

I literally did nothing else for a week than work on achieving a steady wide vibrato (a semitone or more) using every finger on every string, pulling strings downwards for the bass strings and pushing strings upwards for the trebles.

At the start I could only do it very slowly. bend-release-bend-release-bend-release. But after a few days, the muscles in my hand/arm got conditioned and I could do it faster....eventually in time with the music.

It was probably the most boring week of guitar practice I ever did, but I would say it turned out to be the most useful week of my guitar life. I'm a pretty average guitar player compared to other pros, but having a strong vibrato makes me sound better than I am and has got me a lot of gigs over the years.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattH »

handsoffmatt wrote:
MattH wrote:Any vibrato tips....?
Back when I was a teenager and obsessed with Yngwie Malmsteen, I spent a solid week doing nothing except work on my vibrato....trying to develop that extra wide-style vibrato that Yngwie has.

I literally did nothing else for a week than work on achieving a steady wide vibrato (a semitone or more) using every finger on every string, pulling strings downwards for the bass strings and pushing strings upwards for the trebles.

At the start I could only do it very slowly. bend-release-bend-release-bend-release. But after a few days, the muscles in my hand/arm got conditioned and I could do it faster....eventually in time with the music.

It was probably the most boring week of guitar practice I ever did, but I would say it turned out to be the most useful week of my guitar life. I'm a pretty average guitar player compared to other pros, but having a strong vibrato makes me sound better than I am and has got me a lot of gigs over the years.
Yep - I've got a good vibrato off the ring finger, but my index finger needs some work. Those bend vibratos are where the real sweetness is too. Good tip!