Cab Selection Quandry -> Impulse Response Selection...

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Re: Cab Selection Quandry -> Impulse Response Selection...

Post by HackSaw »

If this is real - and not too pricey - it might solve your needs?

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. ... o.1694773/

I tried out this plugin & ended up getting a few cabs, so maybe a cheapish way to audition a few?

http://www.two-notes.com/en/software/to ... f-sound-3/

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

HackSaw wrote:If this is real - and not too pricey - it might solve your needs?

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. ... o.1694773/

I tried out this plugin & ended up getting a few cabs, so maybe a cheapish way to audition a few?

http://www.two-notes.com/en/software/to ... f-sound-3/
Mmmm I saw that the other day, midi control would be cool, but I reckon I might get by with the normal pangaea with just the right cab selection :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

In my experience IR changes within a song are pretty sonically discombobulating and best to be avoided anyway, I'm pretty sure anyone who's run a FOH desk will agree too :lol: The upshot being that I don't think you really lose anything by not having midi recall, both units would allow an IR change between songs, if it were really needed, pretty easily yeah?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Eruera wrote:In my experience IR changes within a song are pretty sonically discombobulating and best to be avoided anyway, I'm pretty sure anyone who's run a FOH desk will agree too :lol: The upshot being that I don't think you really lose anything by not having midi recall, both units would allow an IR change between songs, if it were really needed, pretty easily yeah?
Ahhh it's just I use 3 different amps for 3 different tones, I have a clean (:lol:) sound, a saturated verby delayey sound, and balls out metal tone, all with different amps... hmm....
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Bg wrote:
Cdog wrote:Theres free demo cabs out there... try before you buy. I liked the ownhammer ones most :)
which ones did you like? I see they have a range of bogner cabs, which I'd be tempted by, probably the oversize 2x12 with greenbacks.

Any others worth looking for? I use impulse responses with Bias Amp. Or rather I haven't yet.... as I didn't realise it could use them lol
I googled free impulse responses and had to do some digging. The ones I got were formerly free ownhammers hosted by someone after they had been taken down... thought I bookmarked them but I didn't. They were on a forum somewhere... hmmmm I'll have a dig. Ownhammer and Redwire have demos you can download at their respective sites tho

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Bg wrote:
Cdog wrote:Theres free demo cabs out there... try before you buy. I liked the ownhammer ones most :)
which ones did you like? I see they have a range of bogner cabs, which I'd be tempted by, probably the oversize 2x12 with greenbacks.

Any others worth looking for? I use impulse responses with Bias Amp. Or rather I haven't yet.... as I didn't realise it could use them lol
Turns out I did bookmark 'em after all... Quite a few here, including the original ownhammer free stuff which is no longer available enjoy :)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

cheers for that corey, finally got round to trying them :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Cdog wrote:
Bg wrote:

Turns out I did bookmark 'em after all... Quite a few here, including the original ownhammer free stuff which is no longer available enjoy :)
Grabbed them too!! Would be keen to see how your pangaea sounds at some stage with the HD500X, we need a gearfest!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

So tonight thanks to BG's revelatory post pointing out my retardation I had a crack with the HD500X and an IR loader in Garageband.

I used my normal dirt patch that I use and disabled the cab, picked the first ownhammer wav file in 44khz stereo I found (Bogner V31?!?!) and holy crap, like taking a blanket off the digital stream, quite literally blew me away!!! Turned the IR off, box of wasps, turned cab sim on HD500X back on, less waspy, but still shit, cab off, IR on, OMFG.

So yeah, going to have to get an IR loader to use with it, I'm convinced the amp sims are very good on it, just majorly let down by the cab sims, so this might get me into Helix territory for less than half the money once I've got an AMT Pangaea landed :)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Ooh will have to have a go now....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

jeremyb wrote:So tonight thanks to BG's revelatory post pointing out my retardation I had a crack with the HD500X and an IR loader in Garageband.

I used my normal dirt patch that I use and disabled the cab, picked the first ownhammer wav file in 44khz stereo I found (Bogner V31?!?!) and holy crap, like taking a blanket off the digital stream, quite literally blew me away!!! Turned the IR off, box of wasps, turned cab sim on HD500X back on, less waspy, but still shit, cab off, IR on, OMFG.

So yeah, going to have to get an IR loader to use with it, I'm convinced the amp sims are very good on it, just majorly let down by the cab sims, so this might get me into Helix territory for less than half the money once I've got an AMT Pangaea landed :)

did u want to have a loan of the Pangaea jb?

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

jeremyb wrote:So tonight thanks to BG's revelatory post pointing out my retardation I had a crack with the HD500X and an IR loader in Garageband.

Yeah that's basically what I went through with the 11rack and why I grabbed vintage52's Epsi. Turned off the 11r cabs, and then went through mainstage with the Two Notes Torpedo Wall of Sound plug in (free for 30 days, all you have to do is buy one cab for $7 or so and it's licenced) and yeah, it's a revelation for sure. I haven't plugged the Epsi in yet, but really looking forward to trying it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Cdog wrote:

did u want to have a loan of the Pangaea jb?
Would be pretty keen to try it out!!! :mrgreen:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Another interesting (well to me anyway...) thing is I found a cab in the HD I'd never used before, the 412 Blackback 30, which is a Marshall 4x12 with G12H30's.... which are now getting me much closer to my Ryan Amp / Eminence Wizard (G12H30 like) sound I had.... should really RTFM, the patch I was using from that Peter Hanmer dude with the JCM800 was using G12T75's and it was a bit meh, tried the greenback cab and again that was meh (my experience with a greenback and the Ryan Amp was similar), but this other cab is a big improvement! Still not enough to beat the IR stuff, but I think when I get an IR loader I'll use a cab based on G12H30's.... just has better tone and note definition to my ears!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Hmmmm so IR loader gas is cured for the moment, the blackback cab is really doing the business with the remastered model of the JCM800 thats in the metal pack (which thankfully I got on special on memorial day... $49US is pretty expensive at the moment!)