Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

DI Tone for newbies.

Post by KentNZ »

Hey here's a question I'd like to throw out to y'all;

I have a bunch of young guys fairly new to guitar, all playing electric and all DI. Running through a TC Nova system but what is a bit nasty is nobody is running through proper amp models or Sansamps even (which is what I use when DI)... We haven't got an amp room and everyone's running punky bridge humbuckers...

Anyway. Question. How do I introduce the ideas of tone and how to talk through that, and what initial things should we look at.

I was going to set up my Ryan built tube beauty, my Sansamps Blonde and a pure DI mixer and do some ABing, and also, play with clean vs drives and also pickup choices bridge neck etc.

Any other newbie tips?
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Re: DI Tone for newbies.

Post by Delayman »

I would definitely show them a guitar plugged in DI to show what an amp does to the eq, then show them a distortion pedal DI'd and how nasty it sounds compared to through an amp or amp sim. It's a good demo of the kinds of things an amp does to tone.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Re: DI Tone for newbies.

Post by Vince »

Delayman wrote:I would definitely show them a guitar plugged in DI to show what an amp does to the eq, then show them a distortion pedal DI'd and how nasty it sounds compared to through an amp or amp sim. It's a good demo of the kinds of things an amp does to tone.
+1 I think it's the sort of difference that you have to hear.

And if after hearing it, you still don't get it, then there's no hope. ;)
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook