Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Re: Don't 'get' BB King

Post by Slowy »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote: I admit I do find his clean sound completely flat, it's like he's playing through a SS amp.
:lol: He does. So your ears are pretty good!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Have to disagree with you about The Beatles Jeremy!

My Dad is a great guy to talk to, he's a guitarist that was in his mid-late 20's in the 1960's. So many great stories, he watched Rory Gallagher numerous times and got kicked in the face by Jimi Hendrix when he was trying to take a look at the wah pedal he was using. He's been a support act and/or played for many of the lesser known 'similar' 60's bands such as The Tremeloes, The Ivy League etc, Out of all them he reckons The Beatles were just years ahead of their time and unlike anything else, I think they blew his mind!

His prized possession is a typed and signed letter from The Beatles producer George Martin, which was a reply to a letter my Dad sent asking where they bought their clothes from and how George Harrison got his weird guitar sound on 'I'm Only Sleeping'. George Martin told my Dad where they liked to shop for their shirts - and the guitar was the 'backwards tape' method which incidentally was one of the first times this was ever heard on record.

Crazy thing is this letter has been signed by all four of the band, is probably worth a ton to a collector but my Dad keeps it inside the back cover of a Guitarist magazine! :?

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Have to disagree with you about The Beatles Jeremy!

My Dad is a great guy to talk to, he's a guitarist that was in his mid-late 20's in the 1960's. So many great stories, he watched Rory Gallagher numerous times and got kicked in the face by Jimi Hendrix when he was trying to take a look at the wah pedal he was using. He's been a support act and/or played for many of the lesser known 'similar' 60's bands such as The Tremeloes, The Ivy League etc, Out of all them he reckons The Beatles were just years ahead of their time and unlike anything else, I think they blew his mind!

His prized possession is a typed and signed letter from The Beatles producer George Martin, which was a reply to a letter my Dad sent asking where they bought their clothes from and how George Harrison got his weird guitar sound on 'I'm Only Sleeping'. George Martin told my Dad where they liked to shop for their shirts - and the guitar was the 'backwards tape' method which incidentally was one of the first times this was ever heard on record.

Crazy thing is this letter has been signed by all four of the band, is probably worth a ton to a collector but my Dad keeps it inside the back cover of a Guitarist magazine! :?
So cool!!!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

If I ever hear a BB King guitar lick coming off the radio it always captures my ears.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

null_pointer wrote:I don't particularly love any Beatles album apart from Revolver but I'd never call them overrated.
Revolver is wonderful. I think it's the start of The Beatles period that I like. Rubber Soul, is ok, but Revolver is where it all starts for me.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 384 times

Post by dayl »

So many great links that I've never checked out. Thanks. Seeing BB and Albert King jamming... lawdy lawdy

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

I was watching 1993 Montruex dvd last friday, kind of how slowy described it as classy gig. He's got that amp smoking.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

I read somewhere some time ago that for some tours BB used SS amps, especially overseas ones when valves were risky to transport. May look for a reference later, unless someone has some.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

That BB-king clip above is great. I think he has wonderful phrasing, both vocally and on guitar. Lots of space, nice vibrato, nothing too flash. Works for me!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

codedog wrote:I read somewhere some time ago that for some tours BB used SS amps, especially overseas ones when valves were risky to transport. May look for a reference later, unless someone has some.
Yes BB King used SS amps quite a lot. I read that he ended up with an SS live setup. Nothing wrong with his tone!

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Correct, both BB and Albert King used to favour SS amps.

They obviously used a few different ones over the years, but BB King seemed to favour the Lab Series L5 2x12 combo. If I'm thinking of the right one I believe Clapton also used the same one. Albert tended to favour SS acoustic amps with an MXR Phase 90 pedal (although some people seem to dispute that he ever used one).

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

BB King "Completely Well" is my favourite Blues record. Great band, top recording and genuine feel.

A Desert Island Disc.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

A great entertainer and legend, saw him live back in the 80s and it was one of my top 5 concerts. Live at the Regal is one of the best live albums of all time. Received his autobiography Blues All Around Me in the mail earlier this week, that will be the weekend read.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Did you enjoy the book K1W1?
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

Haven't even turned the cover yet :mental: must set aside some time to get into it.