Audio Myths

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

aliasceiza
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Audio Myths

Post by aliasceiza »

Kloppsta wrote:
danrawkz wrote:Thing is, a card like a soundblaster probably sounds ok for acoustic guitar (I thought the Apogee sounded better noticably anyway), but try that with some other instruments :).

Always knew something was fishy about those Led Zepp reversed audio tracks on youtube :lol:
lol...there u go, thats just it! you liked the sound of the apogee, i liked the soundblaster! it just proves his point i guess. its all relative to the listener and their enviroment. im no noob when it comes to audio interfaces, DAW's and home recording / studio setups in general so i really appreciated the scientific facts behind the panels argument. comb filtering CAN explain probably 95% of what is "percieved" to be "better quality" audio.

i have to laugh (or i would cry) cause i was one of those people sucked into marketing schemes, forum reccomendations et al. luckily i realised the error of my ways a little while ago and managed to downsize / downgrade in gear price but not, so far it seems, on overall audio quality...so really this video just re-affirms things for me.
I liked the soundblaster too, sounded "WARMER!"

I can't believe that jar of stones thing though, and the $1800 power cord, out of it!

Good to re-affirm stuff you've learned the hard way too, lucky I didn't buy those $100 cables and stuck with my PWs!

Do you all reckon the same applies to guitar pedals?

I'm disgusted that a para EQ can cost $449, and a BB preamp can cost $399, a single button to make things louder for $250, in 3 pedals, I've spent more than my amp cost!

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

hmmm....pedals i dunno. its gonna be a personal thing at the end of the day.

unlike most "recording gear" which strives to keep the input/output signal "pure" and un-affected (in most cases) pedals do the opposite. they are made with the intention of affecting the signal. some will affect the signal "better"(read: differently) to others and depending on your requirment that might equal a "better" pedal in your mind.

there are other factors like component and build quality. im sure most "botique" pedals that cost an arm and a leg will be made to last and stand up to abuse. you might find a cheaper pedal that does a similar thing sound wise but after a few hard gigs it could be buggered.
Little by little, by hook or by crook

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Kloppsta wrote:you might find a cheaper pedal that does a similar thing sound wise but after a few hard gigs it could be buggered.
If the cheaper pedal is cheap enough, you can just buy another one.

Seriously though... have you ever broken a pedal at a gig?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

Vince wrote:
Kloppsta wrote:you might find a cheaper pedal that does a similar thing sound wise but after a few hard gigs it could be buggered.
If the cheaper pedal is cheap enough, you can just buy another one.

Seriously though... have you ever broken a pedal at a gig?
this is true...but most "cheap" pedals i have come accross have been cheap for a reason. cheap components inside and out. i find there is a happy medium somewhere in the middle. i tend to buy pedals second hand when i can or i go for more obscure DIY stuff that friends or other people have made or really obscure vintage stuff that has fallen under the radar and doesnt cost a ton just because "Hendrix used it" etc.

i havent every broken pedals per se but i have broken a couple midi footswitches, sustain pedals oh and one wah pedal.
Little by little, by hook or by crook

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Kloppsta wrote: this is true...but most "cheap" pedals i have come accross have been cheap for a reason. cheap components inside and out. i find there is a happy medium somewhere in the middle.
For sure, the range of prices for any given pedal type is quite massive these days.
Kloppsta wrote: i havent every broken pedals per se but i have broken a couple midi footswitches, sustain pedals oh and one wah pedal.
That's never happened to me. But then again, like most guys, my pedals have usually been in metal.

I guess that a lot depends on the design of the casing (I imagine that a small, compact casing will be sturdier than a big casing with thin sides) The Dano mini pedals might be sturdier than the Behringer ones (also in plastic but different casing design).

Sometimes I wonder if we don't malign plastic a bit too much, after all, they make safety helmets from some types of plastics. Surely some plastics must be pretty strong?
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Possibly, but remember plastic safety helmets have a use by date and they have to be thrown away after an impact.
Tin arse!!

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Terexgeek wrote:Possibly, but remember plastic safety helmets have a use by date and they have to be thrown away after an impact.
... They DO?? :shock:

Oh... ok, then. As you were...

I knew about throwing them away after an impact but not about the "use by" date :P

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook