Wot pickups is goodera than wot others is?

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 836 times
Been liked: 358 times

Re: Wot pickups is goodera than wot others is?

Post by jimi »

Zaulkin wrote:
bender wrote:
jimi wrote:
Rio Grandes of some type in my SG sound good for bluesy stuff, which doesn't really work in that guitar, but f-it, it's a 21 year old epiphone so not spending any more $$ there.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those are the original pickups from the Robin Savoy. Buffalobucker and Genuine Texas most likely.
That'll explain it. The genuine Texas is basically a single coil with a dummy coil so it sounds quite bluesy.
Interesting... I've got coil splits on that guitar and there's a difference when it's engaged, so it must be doing something.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 836 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Checked old PMs... Buffalo/BBQ apparently.

In disturbing other news autocorrect wanted to switch BBQ to BBW, which I'm sure I have never typed before. I guess I Should be thankful it didn't go to BBC atleast.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

jimi wrote:
Zaulkin wrote:
bender wrote:
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure those are the original pickups from the Robin Savoy. Buffalobucker and Genuine Texas most likely.
That'll explain it. The genuine Texas is basically a single coil with a dummy coil so it sounds quite bluesy.
Interesting... I've got coil splits on that guitar and there's a difference when it's engaged, so it must be doing something.
Yeah, it's just subtle because one coil dominates the sound I think. I like it for lead on the neck - really cool pickup for that.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

jimi wrote:Checked old PMs... Buffalo/BBQ apparently.

In disturbing other news autocorrect wanted to switch BBQ to BBW, which I'm sure I have never typed before. I guess I Should be thankful it didn't go to BBC atleast.
The BBW and BBC matched humbucker set? That'd be good for hard c... Ahem, hard rock.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I saw a clip several weeks ago pedal testing and he switched to a Dusenburg with weird looking pups. Man it sounded good for classic lead guitar. I did not expect a D to be a lead machine like that. Not sure what the pups were tho.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Aquila Rossa wrote:I saw a clip several weeks ago pedal testing and he switched to a Dusenburg with weird looking pups. Man it sounded good for classic lead guitar. I did not expect a D to be a lead machine like that. Not sure what the pups were tho.
Got a link? Ta

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Molly wrote:
Aquila Rossa wrote:I saw a clip several weeks ago pedal testing and he switched to a Dusenburg with weird looking pups. Man it sounded good for classic lead guitar. I did not expect a D to be a lead machine like that. Not sure what the pups were tho.
Got a link? Ta
God is your holiday that boring :wave:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Molly wrote:
Got a link? Ta
Nah. I think it was your fav demo guy Chappers of all people. He was busy making guitars and amps sound horrible like he usually does, then switched to a Dusey and suddenly had nice tone. Can't remember what video. That Danish Pete plays the same guitar sometimes

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Chappers playing is a bit one dimensional, but I don't watch for the gear. I find them quite entertaining.

Also Danish pete can play like a motherfucker.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

I tend to gravitate towards lower and medium output pickups with the odd exception as noted below. I only own a few of these, most were in clients guitars that were in for repair work.

Buckers
Spendy: Bareknuckle Crawlers, SD Antiquity
Cheaper: Dimarzio 36th Anniversary, SD Seth Lover, Alnico pro II.
Vintage: Ca. '65 Gibson patent number pickup. Technically a legit PAF spec vintage bucker with the later sticker. I've put this in a few guitars (both mine and friends guitars) and it always gets rave reviews.

Single coils
Spendy: Fralin Real '54, Lollar Blackface.
Affordable: SD SSL-1, Tonerider Telecaster sets.

P90
Spendy: Lollar, Fralin.
Cheaper: Gibson stock P90s

High gain
Spendy: Fishman Fluence are incredibly articulate even with more gain than anyone should ever really be using and even at crazy low tunings (drop E on an 8 string for instance).
Suhr Aldrich
SD Jason Becker "Perpetual Burn" (surprisingly it sounds great when coil split too!)
Affordable: Despite my leanings towards more expensive makers I'm a big fan of a Duncan JB in the right guitar, better yet a Custom Custom or Custom 5..

Acoustic

This needs it's own section but...
Sound hole pickups
Active: Seymour Duncan magmic
Passive: Sunrise S1
Cheaper: Seymour Duncan SA1 "acoustic tube" or Woody XL models

Piezo w/blend
Spendy: L.R. Baggs Anthem
More affordable: Seymour Duncan Wavelength Duo

Passive sound spot
Various K&K pickups.
Seymour Duncan/DTar SA-5

Now having said all that the best acoustic pickup is a decent microphone that's not inside the guitar, and the best sounding electric guitar pickups were in Electric guitars that were played well.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Dharmajester wrote:
Molly wrote:
Got a link? Ta
God is your holiday that boring :wave:
Holidays are for the kids. I'm just trying to retain my sanity as I hemhourage money.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Tele pickups... I think I want the custom shop ones, broadcaster bridge, twisted tele neck (apparently quite strat like).... any equivalents I should look into?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Recently I've purchased a few Seymour Duncan pups for various things of non-vintage nature and have been impressed. The hot for jazzmaster sound real good.

I've played a few PAF guitars and that sound, although slightly different in each case, is hard to forget. And before I go into mouth-feel, long finish wankery, they make the hand/tone in fingers/pickup interaction exciting...attack and nuance are somehow better articulated with good PAFs.

I really like Throbaks - to me they are the best sounding PAF homage pickup out there....presently. I must mention the new Gibson MHS and Custombuckers here - they are possibly the best sounding modern Gibson humucker (in the vintage style) yet.

I love 50's/early 60's P90's but like Steve I appreciate the clear bobbin versions from the early 70's too. They have some honky goodness going on.

Gretsch Supertrons from the 60's are super cool. Crunchy, clear and articulate. Slightly scooped by way of the naturally flat bar pole.

A little mentioned pickup is the AlNiCo Staple - for the neck it is clear and bell like, but full range.

I usually dislike Strat pickups, but when they're right, they're right.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

jeremyb wrote:Tele pickups... I think I want the custom shop ones, broadcaster bridge, twisted tele neck (apparently quite strat like).... any equivalents I should look into?
An actual strat pickup in the neck, and move the wire so tone only operates on bridge?
Save the cost of a pickup and mod is easy to reverse.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.