Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
BY bbrunskill
#682257
Hi All,

As you know I'm a fanatical acoustic guy. I really like the Lyric pickup and I've been meaning to do a demo of it for a long time. Here it is at last, if you're looking for a pickup, at least check this thing out. Cheers to the RS, who have sold me 2 so far and I'm sure there will be more!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV9bs1i6E6o[/youtube]
User avatar
BY snitchez
#682290
Nice! I'm on a K&k pure western mini at the moment. It's wired into a LR bagged elements preamp which was already existing on my Larrivee. Which has a notch filter and eq ofcourse.

Would you have any comparisons between the K&k straight into a passive DI? Or were you using the K&k with the para DI as well? Or did come about later on with the lyric
User avatar
BY bbrunskill
#682295
Vince, I'm into that sort of thing . . . I figure if you can hear it when normally playing guitar, you should hear it when the thing is amplified.

Snitchez, when I had the K&K I had at first a passive DI and then a BBE preamp that was similar to the Baggs. K&K needed the preamp, into a passive DI it was very dark and dull sounding. The preamp and a bit of careful EQ made a big difference .
User avatar
BY Vince
#682298
bbrunskill wrote:Vince, I'm into that sort of thing . . . I figure if you can hear it when normally playing guitar, you should hear it when the thing is amplified.


Yeah, don't know... pondering gating. But then it wouldn't be the same...
User avatar
BY sirvill
#682310
I don't give two shits about acoustic pickups (I don't even own a proper acoustic guitar) but I came in here anyway as I knew I'd get some tasty playin' from you Ben :)

FWIW it sounds great, but I wouldn't know what I'm talking about.
User avatar
BY snitchez
#682324
bbrunskill wrote:Snitchez, when I had the K&K I had at first a passive DI and then a BBE preamp that was similar to the Baggs. K&K needed the preamp, into a passive DI it was very dark and dull sounding. The preamp and a bit of careful EQ made a big difference .



BBE Acousticmax? that thing is massive. will give the lyric a go the next time im looking for a something different! fantastic video comparison by the way. thanks
User avatar
BY SimonHirst
#682329
Yeah, great sounding acoustic Ben. I've been thinking about getting a different pickup for Dads at some point. It's got the K&K but, if I'm honest it doesn't really do it for me. It just doesn't seem right having such a guitar sound not that great plugged in. I might have to go down this path...
#682338
sirvill wrote:I don't give two shits about acoustic pickups (I don't even own a proper acoustic guitar) but I came in here anyway as I knew I'd get some tasty playin' from you Ben :)

FWIW it sounds great, but I wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

Ha, same for me. Love your playing though Ben!
User avatar
BY bbrunskill
#682347
Darth Sabbathi wrote:
sirvill wrote:I don't give two shits about acoustic pickups (I don't even own a proper acoustic guitar) but I came in here anyway as I knew I'd get some tasty playin' from you Ben :)

FWIW it sounds great, but I wouldn't know what I'm talking about.

Ha, same for me. Love your playing though Ben!



oh shucks. Thanks guys!
User avatar
BY Slowy
#682360
Listened while reading the rest of the thread. Every time my ears said, 'Yeah Baby!' it turned out to be the Lyric.
Good demo Ben. :thumbup:
User avatar
BY handsoffmatt
#682373
The LR Baggs Para DI is about the closest thing I've ever seen to a "magic box" for acoustic guitars. I won't do an acoustic gig without mine.

That's a nice sound you got for the demo Ben! The Lyric is perfect for your playing style.
User avatar
BY bbrunskill
#682376
Cheers Matt! I think the value in the Para DI is less that there's some magic, and more that it's well thought out. The 3 fixed EQ bands all are set to useful frequencies, the Notch filter has a nice tight Q, and the mid EQ has a really wide Q, it's got input and output gain controls so it will work with any gear, FX loop so you can really use the preamp in it, line and XLR out for a split if you need it, long battery life and phantom power if your battery runs low.

Great design and it can certainly help to pull the best out of whatever pickup system you use. I love mine and use it lots, in fact this weekend I'm doing a cello gig with it.