wirewrap direct metal to metal for more treble?

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

dylan
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

wirewrap direct metal to metal for more treble?

Post by dylan »

just put new pots in PRS, chopped the tinned ends of wire off the existing wires, wrapped and crimped everything before soldering to new untinned pots, and now the guitar has way more treble.

i had previously bypassed both volume and tone, just pkup selecter and shared tap, now its vol/vol with individual taps, so i cant see how adding 500k pots could make it treblier.

is it generally accepted that metal to metal connections make more treble? (as well as more dry joints ...)
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: wirewrap direct metal to metal for more treble?

Post by alanp »

What value were your old pots? Bear in mind that a R-C network is a basic filter.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Lower capacitance in cables / joints == less treble loss :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

alanp wrote:What value were your old pots? Bear in mind that a R-C network is a basic filter.
i had them bypassed completely, can get less tonesucky than that. sounds kinda stratty now. perhaps time to undo some of my "less bass more treble" valve junior mods. or put mullards back in for less treble.

or does adding just adding passive vol pots cause a slight resonant peak in the treble range? - i can believe that even passive r/c filters have a slight resonant bump, but when the vols on 10 the pots not really doing that much.

ive never actually put a jj el84 in the amp, i really should try one.
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I'm thinking of changing the 300k pots in my '87 SG for 500k as backed-off it's a bit wooly. Did you change the value of your pots too or were they previously 500k?

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Not sure what's occuring with OP's guitar unless it's out of phase ( but that would be strikingly obvious ) however regarding your SG Brian. 500k pots will generally allow more top end activity..
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Molly wrote:I'm thinking of changing the 300k pots in my '87 SG for 500k as backed-off it's a bit wooly.

You should do this, I think it's a must for every Gibson ever
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Dharmajester wrote:Not sure what's occuring with OP's guitar unless it's out of phase ( but that would be strikingly obvious ) however regarding your SG Brian. 500k pots will generally allow more top end activity..
I'm fonder of the bottom end.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.