PUP Sugestions

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 240 times

PUP Sugestions

Post by crowbgood1 »

I now have a Ibanez hollow guitar. It sounds great! Just like Thorogoogd's One Bourbon, but. can it sound better?

I know very little about what PUP's suit this style of guitar. What are your thoughts?

A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: PUP Sugestions

Post by jeremyb »

Do you want something brighter and more clear or darker and more muddy? I reckon you can't beat a pair of TV Jones in a hollowbody, but if you're budget conscious like me then some of the GFS retrotrons are a cheap upgrade that sound brilliant!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by crowbgood1 »

jeremyb wrote:Do you want something brighter and more clear or darker and more muddy? I reckon you can't beat a pair of TV Jones in a hollowbody, but if you're budget conscious like me then some of the GFS retrotrons are a cheap upgrade that sound brilliant!
I wouldn't say budget conscious, but if I can get an 80% result for 30% of the price, I will take the cheaper option in some case's.

I'm happy with the set of GFS Mean 90's I have but have heard mixed reviews of that brand. They definitely have attractive pricing.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

you've probably got the sound covered already, but humbucker sized p90's sound cool. I can give you my 335 with bare knuckle Mississippi queen humbucker sized p90's in it to see if you like the sound.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

crowbgood1 wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Do you want something brighter and more clear or darker and more muddy? I reckon you can't beat a pair of TV Jones in a hollowbody, but if you're budget conscious like me then some of the GFS retrotrons are a cheap upgrade that sound brilliant!
I wouldn't say budget conscious, but if I can get an 80% result for 30% of the price, I will take the cheaper option in some case's.

I'm happy with the set of GFS Mean 90's I have but have heard mixed reviews of that brand. They definitely have attractive pricing.
I have a set of mean 90's too, great pickups!! Check out the Liverpool Retrotrons online, Polar Bear has them in his Gretsch as do I on his recommendation, and they rule!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

you can also compare it against my humbucker guitars, to see if there is a sound that you like.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I assume you've removed that foam bit from under the bridge?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1295 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

I agree, TV jones/ retrotron type would be cool. Get some gritty gretschy goodness going.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

+ 1 on Gretsch style Filters or P90's! I had Phat Cats in a LP and they were great. Dimarzio make a Filtertron copy that looks exactly like a normal humbucker which from memory is called the EJ Custom? could be worth looking into as well.
Have had some good and bad experiences with GFS, got a Tele pickup which was pretty good, but ordered 2 different mini humbuckers (hot mini crunchy or something like that) and both were not very good. But have heard other pickups which sounded great from them....so a bit hit and miss I guess.
Google research is always a must for such projects!

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by crowbgood1 »

*UNIQUE* wrote:I assume you've removed that foam bit from under the bridge?
Not yet!!! I'll get on to that.... I bet that damps the resonance.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by crowbgood1 »

AiRdAd wrote:you can also compare it against my humbucker guitars, to see if there is a sound that you like.
You about Sat?

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

crowbgood1 wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:you can also compare it against my humbucker guitars, to see if there is a sound that you like.
You about Sat?
sweet as - that would be good. flick me a text, or leave apm here with your number. I can't remember if I have got it

Sustainz
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sustainz »

Sweet!

The first thing I noticed is the pickup height - they're really high. Unless you like the way they sound like that, maybe lower them a bit, especially the neck. I'd put it down so the top of the pup is flush with the pup ring and adjust up from there if that's not to your liking.
Play what you love. Practice what you must ~ Larry Carlton

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by crowbgood1 »

Sustainz wrote:Sweet!

The first thing I noticed is the pickup height - they're really high. Unless you like the way they sound like that, maybe lower them a bit, especially the neck. I'd put it down so the top of the pup is flush with the pup ring and adjust up from there if that's not to your liking.
Yes. I've lowered them substantially. They came like that from the shop!

They were making my 40w amp break up at at bedroom levels!

Sustainz
Squier
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Sustainz »

crowbgood1 wrote:
Sustainz wrote:Sweet!

Yes. I've lowered them substantially. They came like that from the shop!

They were making my 40w amp break up at at bedroom levels!
Cool. It's tough to fathom what was going through the mind of whomever set it up as shown in your photo :think:. I just suggested the adjustment because that can often make a huge difference, and you might find that you actually like the result without having to pull the plug on a new set of pups.

I don't know what kind of "vibe" you're going for with that guitar, but with full hollowbodies, my .02 is to stay away from anything "hot" - a nice clear, clean base signal from the guitar is the way to go, imo. You can always add gain with a pedal or from the amp, and a low-wind pup gives you a lot more flexibility than a hot pup as far as controlling the gain with the guitar volume which is pretty much a given with hollowbodies. I'm a big fan of PAF-style pups in, well, just about anything, so I don't think you can go wrong with a set of DiMarzio 36ths. If you want to spend a bit more dosh, I think a set of Lollar Imperial low-wind pups would be killer in that baby. Whatever you decide, enjoy!
Play what you love. Practice what you must ~ Larry Carlton