Yet another "help me choose a pickup" thread!!!

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 105 times

Re: Yet another "help me choose a pickup" thread!!!

Post by Aquila Rossa »

aliasceiza wrote:An SGs bottome end while not being overly deep, is not spungey, so the custom custom, to me, sounded good, although personally I wouldn't put one in a chambered LP!

Also, even though I first suggested it, the Duncan distortion is also ceramic, so would probably be a step sideways, rather than forward!

I'd try the SH5 (duncan custom) lots of bottom end, and more output than the JB, and out of all the Gibson pickups I like the 57 classics which are in the current 60s LP classics so it would be easy to hear what they would sound like in yours! I don't have any experience with dimarzios or the others you've mentioned, I'm an SD fan, because every one I've ever tried has been excellent!
Thanks, I'll add the SH5 to my list of possibles. I don't really get off on the newer LP classics I've tried, not enough attitude in those pups for me.
The Scarecrow wrote:
Aquila Rosso wrote: It does seem that the Explorer, SG and Vee may be less bright than the LP with these pups.
I found the 500T to be quite dark sounding in my Explorer when playing with medium to high-gain. So much so that I have to usually run the presence knob about three notches higher to get over the very dark mids and lows. So maybe it's the LP brightening it up?
It seems the 500T's tone is heavily influenced by the guitar it is in, maybe more so than many other pups.
It can be hard to go on recommendations alone, because they are influenced so much by tastes. But I am getting a good shortlist for potential pups compiled now.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

hamo wrote:I was going to toss Iommi's signature Gibson pups into the mix too, but then DaNext Slash ended the thread by throwing in the Suhr Aldrich. (And I do think he might be right!)

Quick question - I see the Suhr Aldrich pickup bandied about quite a bit, how much of this love for it actually based on having played it or owned it, just out of curiosity?
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 815 times

Post by hamo »

slash-ed wrote:
hamo wrote:I was going to toss Iommi's signature Gibson pups into the mix too, but then DaNext Slash ended the thread by throwing in the Suhr Aldrich. (And I do think he might be right!)

Quick question - I see the Suhr Aldrich pickup bandied about quite a bit, how much of this love for it actually based on having played it or owned it, just out of curiosity?
Yeah, ya got me. My comment is based more on videos I've seen of Doug playing his Suhr equipped LP, and the fact that I reckon it's kind of the tone that AR is interested in. Honestly, since seeing Whitesnake at Rock2Wgtn Doug Aldrich is my new tone god.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 418 times
Been liked: 1022 times

Post by bender »

slash-ed wrote:

Zorran uses them and he seems to like them.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by dayl »

slash-ed wrote:

Im just the sycofantic type tbh :twisted:

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

benderissimo wrote:
slash-ed wrote:

Zorran uses them and he seems to like them.
Alrich's tone is very much to my liking.
Zorran lives just down the road, I'll have to pm him for his opinion about them in an LP and where to buy them. I'll ask him if he wants the Palmer back too (so I can raise funds for the Dr Z).

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

With all the admiration of the Doug Aldrich Les Paul tone, I think John Sykes has some awesome Les Paul tone as well. I doubt these pups are stock, I wonder what they are?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCM6fBx5WgM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5LqY_853-M

I wish I had the money to buy Sam's Black LP Custom when It came up for sale.

danrawkz
PRS
PRS
Been liked: 1 time

Post by danrawkz »

I have the Aldrich in the bridge of my Ibanez, and in all honesty it's a pretty good 'high-gain pickup' but still doesn't offer the same clarity of note that a well balanced medium-high output pickup offers.

It's very midrangey, sizzly and harmonically responsive. But I still think my Rockfield Select Wound Customs in my First Act sound better to be completely honest, there's just a little too much sizzle if you can understand that I mean by 'sizzle' :P

You should have played it at gearfest, it probably works better for hard rock than it does modern metal though.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

danrawkz wrote:I have the Aldrich in the bridge of my Ibanez, and in all honesty it's a pretty good 'high-gain pickup' but still doesn't offer the same clarity of note that a well balanced medium-high output pickup offers.

It's very midrangey, sizzly and harmonically responsive. But I still think my Rockfield Select Wound Customs in my First Act sound better to be completely honest, there's just a little too much sizzle if you can understand that I mean by 'sizzle' :P

You should have played it at gearfest, it probably works better for hard rock than it does modern metal though.
I was too busy smoking ciggys at the gearfest to do much else really.
I think the sizzle is what have a lttle too much of with the the 500T. I like it, but want it a liitle less harsh, swetter and smoother.
I have not heard of Rockfielf......google :roll:

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

AR, I'm the opposite to most people. I find the original pups to be a great choice for me. Yes, swapping out pups does give an initially different sound. After 2 hours of playing, they sound the same to me as the ones I just swapped.

i think if you swapped them for a Epiphone set (for example) instead of Gibson, you'd hear a difference, too. Would that difference be good or bad? Only you can tell. IMO, its all bollox. (says Rog after doing it for years)
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

aliasceiza

Post by aliasceiza »

Agreeing mostly with Rog...a guitar, pickups, pots and even strings, while making a difference, only account for about 30% of the overall tone!

I saw on a different post that you, aquila rosso, are using 9s to 42s in standard E, on an LP, those are pretty light strings, and could account for some twang!

Try some 11s to 48s, ernieball do them, surprising how much more tone you get!

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

aliasceiza wrote:Agreeing mostly with Rog...a guitar, pickups, pots and even strings, while making a difference, only account for about 30% of the overall tone!

I saw on a different post that you, aquila rosso, are using 9s to 42s in standard E, on an LP, those are pretty light strings, and could account for some twang!

Try some 11s to 48s, ernieball do them, surprising how much more tone you get!
Haha, no way. Any higher that 9s just grinds the meat off my finger tips.
I actually finder lighter strings to have a smoother tone.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

AR, when you get the feeling to try something a bit different, grab a set of flats from Dave (tell him its the ones I use - he'll know). They are so smooth to play and have a beautifully creamy sound. If you like blues and jazz - a must to try. If you like bright and cutting or metal etc - a must to avoid.

I have flats on all of my guitars and basses now.
I guess its how I perceive 'my' sound.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Rog wrote:AR, when you get the feeling to try something a bit different, grab a set of flats from Dave (tell him its the ones I use - he'll know). They are so smooth to play and have a beautifully creamy sound. If you like blues and jazz - a must to try. If you like bright and cutting or metal etc - a must to avoid.

I have flats on all of my guitars and basses now.
I guess its how I perceive 'my' sound.
I wouldn't mind trying them out, but they are not for me full time. Thanks.

DaNextSlash
Fender
Fender

Post by DaNextSlash »

BKP Cold Sweat seems to be what one would think you'd get if you wanted John Sykes tone.
Hmmm....Its niiiiiice
I like