Effect Pedal switch types

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

What type of effects pedal switch do you like?

The small round metal switch (retro style)
50%
The big Boss-style footswitch section
50%
The crappy plastic switches on budget range pedals
No votes
The multi-FX style switches (polygon shaped and raised)
No votes

Total votes: 12

offender
Gretsch
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by offender »

Visionless_Guitarist wrote:o yea and back to the actual topic, i find the boss type ones betta, for they are easier to push barefoot, BUT, boss type ones are not true bypass from my experience, on my awesome cry baby it has a DPDT switch, under the foot swingy thing that u push down hard to turn it on, every1 should kno wot im talking about, and if u have no battery in the pedel but the DPDT is switched so the effect is off, the original signal still goes thru, with my ibanez and boss however, no battery/power, no signal at all, more proof that, dunlop/mxr make betta pedels lol maybe dunlop make betta wahs, but i'd perfer a boss metal zone over a mxr distortion plus anyday.
Yeah boss pedals definitely for me are good in terms of always being able to be switched barefoot or not - but I find a ton of precision and feedback when switching my marshall. My Marshall pedal also says that it has a true bypass.

I run my two pedals off the mains anyway so im not worried about leaving them switched on.

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!

Post by gregtarr »

Well, female calves have no udders.
Also, those cows in the picture aren't very good cows. A good cow will look more like an AT/AT.
To look like something, you don't need a mouth or a tail.

Somewhere outside my window, a band has started to play (they aren't very good, and when I say band, there is guitar and there is drums, and maybe they're drunk). The guitarist has quite good tone though. It sounds like a strat through a halfway decent tube amp with a fair bit of overdrive.
The other day, I had a jam with a pianist. It was pretty good, although since I have no amp, she had to play really quietly, and it ended up that I played piano too (there are two pianos in the music room here, one is a baby grand = nice). I'm not all that wonderful, but I just took some scales and improvised some melodies while she did fancy things with chords. I found that I play the piano quite differently to how I play the guitar - on the piano I play way more simply, more melodiously (like a RHCP melody thing) when on the guitar I'm always trying to be too flash.
"I told you, pedals sound twice as good when they're stacked on top of other pedals" - Mike Einziger

gregtarr

Post by gregtarr »

Oh, and on the whole pedal button thing, a Boss pedal is made so that you just kick down on it, and it's turned on (or off). But I can see why the other kind is good. The switch on my Crybaby was set really nicely, I would rock my weight onto my front foot when I wanted to turn it on, and then I got it repaired once, and they changed how I had it set up, so it was really easily switched, and then I got it repaired again, and now they've set it so that you have to jump on it so that it changes.
"I told you, pedals sound twice as good when they're stacked on top of other pedals" - Mike Einziger

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

gregtarr wrote:and now they've set it so that you have to jump on it so that it changes.
easy to set up with a spanner....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

gregtarr wrote:Well, female calves have no udders.
Is a Calf a cow? (its certainly bovine)
Is a kitten a cat? (its a feline)
Is a child an adult? (its a human)

Thats probably why no one thought that a cow could be without udders.
gregtarr wrote: Also, those cows in the picture aren't very good cows. A good cow will look more like an AT/AT.
To look like something, you don't need a mouth or a tail.

Somewhere outside my window, a band has started to play (they aren't very good, and when I say band, there is guitar and there is drums, and maybe they're drunk). The guitarist has quite good tone though. It sounds like a strat through a halfway decent tube amp with a fair bit of overdrive.
The other day, I had a jam with a pianist. It was pretty good, although since I have no amp, she had to play really quietly, and it ended up that I played piano too (there are two pianos in the music room here, one is a baby grand = nice). I'm not all that wonderful, but I just took some scales and improvised some melodies while she did fancy things with chords. I found that I play the piano quite differently to how I play the guitar - on the piano I play way more simply, more melodiously (like a RHCP melody thing) when on the guitar I'm always trying to be too flash.
Interesting - did you have any amplification at all??? Are there guitar amps in the 'music room' to use? I have not played piano since I took lessons as a kid - when on the guitar I just try not to make mistakes :?

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Red Fred »

bluesgeek wrote:
gregtarr wrote:and now they've set it so that you have to jump on it so that it changes.
easy to set up with a spanner....
Really? How?
You have to jump on mine really hard.... :?

gregtarr

Post by gregtarr »

I know you can change it with a spanner - it was me that set it nicely in the first place. I just don't have a spanner.
What you need to do is take the bottom off, then unscrew the thing which holds the arm (which rotates the wah cog) in place. Then unscrew the thingie underneath the actual pedal (that holds the wah switch in place). Now take all of the guts out. Go to the switch and screw the washer thing that is on the shaft down a bit (so the switch sits a bit higher - just a little bit higher though). Now stick it all back together - and the switch should be a little higher, and therefore you don't have to press down quite so hard to switch it.

Now, the stupid thing about cows. I don't really care if a calf is a cow or not, it was just a rebuttal to a stupid debate (which I started).

There is no guitar amp in the music room. The only amplification I have at the moment is when I press the headstock to some object and the vibrations are transferred into that, and it sounds louder. But there is a guy down the hall a bit with the tiniest amp ever (not one of the battery powered ones, just a really tiny thing), and a Zoom 505, and I can't stand it (especially after my amp - I'm so picky now), or one of the RA's has a Fender 185 something, which is alright, but still - I'm really picky now.

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

Couldnt you do a real el-cheapo job and like blue-tac a thin nut or a wide washer on the top of the switch button?

I would think any combo amp would look tiny after owning a head and cabinet :)

gregtarr

Post by gregtarr »

It's not so much the size but the sound - although perhaps I remember it being better than it was - because I wasn't all that happy with it sometimes.

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

those vibrations aro most likely the reverb unit(springs) moving around, if i jump nearby my amp the reverb unit moves and makes some weird noise, and its not even all the way up, wen its all teh way up and ur playing a slowish solo its sounds a lil like echo, esp on the master of puppets harmonizing.
success is fleeting, but artistry lasts forever.

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Red Fred »

gregtarr wrote:I know you can change it with a spanner - it was me that set it nicely in the first place. I just don't have a spanner.
What you need to do is take the bottom off, then unscrew the thing which holds the arm (which rotates the wah cog) in place. Then unscrew the thingie underneath the actual pedal (that holds the wah switch in place). Now take all of the guts out. Go to the switch and screw the washer thing that is on the shaft down a bit (so the switch sits a bit higher - just a little bit higher though). Now stick it all back together - and the switch should be a little higher, and therefore you don't have to press down quite so hard to switch it.
I don't think that is possible with my wah becuase it has been modded for true by pass and had an led put in it. :?

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Red Fred »

I did everything you said but the washer is already as far down as possible, should i just take it right off?

EDIT: Okay I can't do that because then it's not balanced with the LED. :(

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

wot sorta wah is it? vox, dunlop, morley?

Mike_Hosking
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Mike_Hosking »

as i look at my dunlop one it would be very easy to raise it, just take out the bolt between the switch and housing and it would be much higher, if u were to take the washer off like u sed it would be a lil higher, wot does the LED have to do with it tho?
my switch is in the perfect place(so it should be after the price i paid for this) so i have no need to change it.

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Red Fred »

It is a dunlop one modded by Paul Crowther. The LED is connected to a little pcb board on the bottom the of the switch so the LED is inline with the switch. You get it? :lol:

I might just put more padding where the switch hits the pedal...