NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Re: Subtle warm drive pedal

Post by NippleWrestler »

The xotic BB gets my vote. It'll do everything.

Or the monarch pedals third eye which is tweedish but betterer, even has mystical diodes.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

Also for the mix have here a Keeley red dirt FS

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by griff »

The Bronson is an excellent pedal for this type of thing

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 826 times
Been liked: 1315 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

TmcB wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:10 am
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:14 am Have become increasingly comfortable with using a drive pedal, particularly with my Gretsch.
At the moment I have a catlinbread tweed voiced pedal 5f6.
I'm keen to explore one or two more options.
Definitely not high gain territory more just some colour and harmonic depth.

Any suggestions of something that would play well with filtertrons, JM/jag single coils and fender circuits +/- vox ac15 ?
You could try a Bronson? Happy to send one up for you to play with, no obligation
Oh that's a great offer :thumbup:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2491 times

Post by Slowy »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:35 am Awesome thanks lads. Lots of good things to opine upon ...
Don't forget Timmy!
And for an AC15, hotcakes.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

I just need a whole bunch to try basically

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Bring a burlap sack over to the sauna at some stage this week and take a bunch.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

robthemac wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:25 am Bring a burlap sack over to the sauna at some stage this week and take a bunch.
Righto. Will come with sack.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:31 am
GrantB wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:16 am Through a Fender amp, I really really like my Klone. At even four times the $80 price, there’s nothing I’ve tried that’s as clear, warm, balanced and articulate. Including my real KTR Klon.
Have heard good things
What iteration is yours ?
The elusive AliExpress version - Gold one. I have a mini version on order for the gigging board so will compare on arrival.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:33 pm
StrummersOfThunder wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:31 am
GrantB wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:16 am Through a Fender amp, I really really like my Klone. At even four times the $80 price, there’s nothing I’ve tried that’s as clear, warm, balanced and articulate. Including my real KTR Klon.
Have heard good things
What iteration is yours ?
The elusive AliExpress version - Gold one. I have a mini version on order for the gigging board so will compare on arrival.
Ants can have a bit of quality time with my Keeley Oxblood. It's my favourite of the Klones I've played (along with Tumnus, Archer, Tauren, Strymon Ge).

I think there's truth to the claim the they all sound pretty identical when used as a coloured boost, but once you get a little bit of clipping they start to diverge. Oxblood does this really well.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

bender wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:36 am I’ve got something you might want to try- a Nobels ODR-1. They’re really rather nice, and not the typical thing. Plus it’s bright green.
+1.

I use a newer Nobels with G6122T-62 with FTs and a '64 Jag with OG pups through '68 BF Super Reverb (OG alnico 10"s) and '75 SF Twin Reverb with creamback G12 and G12H 12"s. For low gain, chewy drive with that added bit of sustain that JMs/Jags can lack...it's a killa!

The tone knob ('Spectrum') is where the action is at...some originality in the signal loading and clipping design but the Spectrum control is all cash money, right there. Get the newer one with the internal bass cut switch as there are iterations between the highly expensive OGs and the newer one that can get a bit bass boomy when rocked with other drives (underdrivers or boosters).

When set up right the thing retains clarity for chords, without flabby bass, but then dig in for note picking and the breakup takes on that nice chewy, vocally sound that lets FTs sing and takes the 'doink' out of offsets.

Another alternative is the Greer Amps 'Lightspeed Organic Overdrive'. This thing is even betterer! It sounds 'natural' like valve amp breakup...not fizzy, tizzy pedal breakup. Excels at low to medium volume amp levels. Man, if it had the ODR-1s Spectrum control it would be the 'one low gain pedal to rule them all'. Plus it comes in a fuktonne of colour-ways...but not bright green :thumbup: