Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

bender
Darth Fader
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 416 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Re: Synth Chat

Post by bender »

hellblazer wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:41 pm Considering what it can do, most of the parameters are right in front of you with the Hydra. I've got a desktop as well, which I leaned towards for the cv inputs and having all eight knobs on the face. I do think that the explorer might have been a better option for the polyphonic after-touch keyboard.
Would love one of the bigger ones one day. There was a deluxe just offered out for 2k on trademe...

The Arcturia Microfreak is fun with modular. It's almost worth its price just as a controller and a midi-to-cv converter, but with a synth engine attached.
I agree about the hydra parameters, but the interface still steers me more towards programming rather than strictly using my ears. It might just be a matter of making a few starting point patches, and ignoring all the presets for a bit until I get used to it. I tried a Minilogue XD the other day and really loved what I could do with it right off the bat. It got me thinking that might have been a better choice, but I think the Hydra will be better longer term.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

IMOCD wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:31 pm
bender wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:51 pm
IMOCD wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:59 am

Nice. I'm seeing a Drumbrute Impact in my future.
Oh man, it's a whole heap of fun. The Random knob is brilliant.
Cool. There's one on TM at the moment I have a sneaky eye on. I'm trying to get my head around syncing and how that would work between the brute and beats. Seems like midi is the way rather than cv. Do you run the beats through the synth filters etc, or run them dry to your output?
Did you end up buying the Drumbrute? It went for a good price.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

bender wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:13 am
bender wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:51 pm

Oh man, it's a whole heap of fun. The Random knob is brilliant.
Cool. There's one on TM at the moment I have a sneaky eye on. I'm trying to get my head around syncing and how that would work between the brute and beats. Seems like midi is the way rather than cv. Do you run the beats through the synth filters etc, or run them dry to your output?
Alas no. Ultimately I'm wanting my synth setup to be reasonably portable, so I can take it with me to band night. Atm, I'm leaning towards having my microbrute, a few Volca and a Beatstep Pro attached to a pedalboard. Still researching though, but purposely avoiding going down the rabbit hole that is modular, because I know me!!!! 😂

I watched a demo on the Hydrasynth last night. That's a serious bit of kit!

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

IMOCD wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:27 am
bender wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:13 am

Alas no. Ultimately I'm wanting my synth setup to be reasonably portable, so I can take it with me to band night. Atm, I'm leaning towards having my microbrute, a few Volca and a Beatstep Pro attached to a pedalboard. Still researching though, but purposely avoiding going down the rabbit hole that is modular, because I know me!!!! 😂

I watched a demo on the Hydrasynth last night. That's a serious bit of kit!
Yeah, Modular is an absolute money pit. That’s the only reason I’m selling the hydrasynth- otherwise I’d keep it and get to know it better. Volcas are cool- I had the Volca sample for a bit, but didn’t like the way you select samples on it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

:mental:
Attachments
IMG_3619.jpeg
IMG_3619.jpeg (110.37 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Build your own Rhodes? why not!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Looking forward to the circuit tracks arriving, got gas for more hardware already...

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:24 am Looking forward to the circuit tracks arriving, got gas for more hardware already...

PSA: stay away from modular synth = bankruptcy.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

IMOCD wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:53 am
jeremyb wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:24 am Looking forward to the circuit tracks arriving, got gas for more hardware already...

PSA: stay away from modular synth = bankruptcy.
Yeah, don't have the storage space for one, try to keep all my musical gear in a nice small space :mental:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Very dry, but interesting!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Neat little setup!