Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY Molly
mrmofo wrote:problem I have found is in NZ it is almost impossible to sell a Hamer for any where near its worth.
personal problem, no one cares. would rather have a new relic than a classic. boooooooo

There's an old Steve Steven's at Peach Guitars, UK I was looking at. About 700 quid. Not often you see them even here.
BY mrmofo
Molly wrote:I tried to buy my Victory head through the NZ dealer but his 'You will do this at my convenience so must wait until it suits me to sell you one' attitude had me ordering from Andertons. Arrived within a few days and was a bit cheaper.

this is so true, utterly annoying and I`m almost back where I was 20 years ago when I read this.

nz retailers live in a bubble:
small country=large profit
and
another
BOOOOOOOO
BY MakoGat
So, we are gear craving, pedal collecting, internet (or magazine) junkies wanting to try or buy goods we see online that are not available locally (Now there's an opportunity!) and hence why we buy from overseas. Its what we love so fair enough.

I was recently told "most stores" wont stock certain "big name" (like top 2) products because they have their own competing brands. And when approaching said "big name" importer I was told they could put me through one of the "most stores", now why would I do that if they don't stock the item I'm after or items I would buy anyway.

The problem I now have is I have a decent number of high cost items to find overseas, deal with multiple suppliers from different countries, delivery times, pay the freight and the GST. The funny thing is, I like the idea. While I'm at it ill be asking for a dealer application and buy a whole bunch of stuff and sell it to you guys - SERIOUS
BY mrmofo
Molly wrote:
mrmofo wrote:problem I have found is in NZ it is almost impossible to sell a Hamer for any where near its worth.
personal problem, no one cares. would rather have a new relic than a classic. boooooooo

There's an old Steve Steven's at Peach Guitars, UK I was looking at. About 700 quid. Not often you see them even here.

I know of only one in NZ, to my eyes the Steve Stevens looks like a special put through the sander with a trem. LIKE!
probably a bargain at that price considering what it is
Last edited by mrmofo on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BY MakoGat
Molly wrote:I tried to buy my Victory head through the NZ dealer but his 'You will do this at my convenience so must wait until it suits me to sell you one' attitude had me ordering from Andertons. Arrived within a few days and was a bit cheaper.

This is the experience I've had today, I know how you feel.
BY higainer
While I sympathize with your frustration, it merely reflects the reality of our small market.
If I can’t find what I want locally I have no hesitation buying offshore.
In this day & age it’s a non issue.
BY Olderama
werdna wrote:I was used to NZ shops. When I went to the Guitar Centre in LA, I was so excited that a small amount of urine escaped into my trousers.

Was it yours or the salesman ?
BY Bg
MakoGat wrote:
Bg wrote:shits going to hit the fan in october.

Do tell?

GST on online shopping, if you're thinking of being an importer you should probably be aware of this...
BY Bg
Olderama wrote:
werdna wrote:I was used to NZ shops. When I went to the Guitar Centre in LA, I was so excited that a small amount of urine escaped into my trousers.

person for ffs...
BY Olderama
Bg wrote:
Olderama wrote:

person for ffs...

Salesmanperson?
BY MakoGat
Bg wrote:
MakoGat wrote:
Bg wrote:shits going to hit the fan in october.

Do tell?

GST on online shopping, if you're thinking of being an importer you should probably be aware of this...

Gotcha BG
Overseas companies selling goods online into New Zealand will soon be required to collect GST in the same way as domestic retailers.
New rules would be aimed at imported goods valued at or below $1,000. Customs would retain responsibility for collecting GST on imported parcels valued more than $1,000.