Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY slash-ed
Next weekend I'm heading down to help out at a sale at the biggest Suhr dealer in Australia, and I'm a bit concerned that I may come back with something :lol: :lol: (there's a shell pink Mateus Asato sig that's calling my name... but not my wallet haha).

In my head I'm looking for an HSS Classic, but I haven't played enough of them to really know if the Antique version is worth the extra money. As I understand it, the key difference is poly vs nitro (with some aging) and the pickups.

Since NZG is the NZ trading hub for Suhrs I figured you guys might have some good opinions to offer!
BY Molly
The one we traded was a Classic I think (?). Kind of bland I suppose and left no more impression on you than it did on me. I reckon I'd jump at a Classic Antique if one should come up (that Mateus Asoto sig looks great) but have no idea if it'd be any more engaging that the last one. Certainly looks cooler.

Envy you attending the sale. I definitely wouldn't be leaving empty handed. :thumbup:
Molly wrote:Kind of bland I suppose and left no more impression on you than it did on me.

This is my feeling about Suhr's in general, but I have no idea why and it really shouldn't be the case as I've never actually played one. Must make a point of trying one sometime so I can form a genuine opinion.
BY slash-ed
casemysta wrote:Have owner both and the antique is worth every penny more . The feel is so much better . You’ll see

Oh no, this doesn't bode well for me...
BY slash-ed
Molly wrote:The one we traded was a Classic I think (?). Kind of bland I suppose and left no more impression on you than it did on me. I reckon I'd jump at a Classic Antique if one should come up (that Mateus Asoto sig looks great) but have no idea if it'd be any more engaging that the last one. Certainly looks cooler.

Envy you attending the sale. I definitely wouldn't be leaving empty handed. :thumbup:

Yeah, Classic Pro I think? Though (funny how tastes can change in such a short span) I was still on a big humbucker kick at the time and not that keen on bigger necks so I don't think I gave it much of a chance either.
BY slash-ed
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Molly wrote:Kind of bland I suppose and left no more impression on you than it did on me.

This is my feeling about Suhr's in general, but I have no idea why and it really shouldn't be the case as I've never actually played one. Must make a point of trying one sometime so I can form a genuine opinion.

Lol yeah people who've played Suhrs only pls :moresarc:
BY godgrinder
Curious about this as well. Would the Antique be a bit more resonant with nitro finish? I had my eyes on a Classic Pro JM but found it a bit flat when I tried it out, very well made guitar though.
BY Kiwiaxe
Another key potential difference with Antiques is that some of them come with roasted maple necks. To be honest, the two antiques I own (and the one I no longer own) all had that and it was what made me love them.

Of course you don’t need to go Suhr for that - my EBMM JP15 and my Xotic XSC2 have it as well.

Not all antiques have it. No classics do.