Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY Terexgeek
jeremyb wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:
Aquila Rossa wrote:I only get fussy about tone if i have learned a bunch of guitar parts off a record and then get a little perfectionist trying to get the tone right so sounds like the original and it fits well with backing tracks I like to jam to. For noodling around doing my own thing I am not finicky at all about tone being a certain way. If I like what I hear, it will do. The Laney has a distinctive sound that I like, but it is not good for trying to cop the tones of another kind of amp.

That said, I do dream of uncovering a huge stash of Phillips Miniwatt or RCA etc electrical components like valves, capacitors, and those transistors in the old fuzz pedals. At some old abandoned military base or somewhere like that. I would feel like I had dug up a Saxon horde. Build clones and have a really long cork sniffing session :)

I had big plans for purchasing a swag of valves and sniffing hot glass with them in the Tweaker, but it sounded great as is and I preferred spending the time playing it.

Hand in your forum membership right now Craig.

:lol:

I've not just let the forum down, I've let myself down.
BY jeremyb
Next you'll be telling us you have one of those new fangled Katana things and how great it is! THE SHAME!!!!
BY bbrunskill
Frey wrote:
bbrunskill wrote:My Ric has more or less killed guitar GAS for me. It does the main sound I need better than anything else, very easy and comfy to play. I like very much my little Laney VC15, but i have a sneaky feeling it's not the ultimate.

love that jangle pop Ricky tone! have you tried a celestion blue? what about long plate JJ 12AX7s? that could get you most of the way to "ultimate"! tone is subjective and lies in the fingers remember!

you're not convincing me . . . anyway, when I want more jangle, I just play more jangle-y-er . .. bit closer to the bridge, open strings, bobs you're uncle.
BY el byrdo
Nice. Seriously though, try a blue if you'ree going for classic VOX tone. My gold in my vc30 is lush! I want other amps to get other tones, but this is a keeper!
BY Eruera
I’ve always been surprised by how joyless I have found every strat I’ve ever played. I really want to like they because they’re so iconic, but every time I touch one it’s a disappointment :rofl:
BY Single coil
I’m never disappointed with them, but ... I duno man. I really want to like them.
I wonder if oldie knows where that old dave murray copy got to.
BY Bg
Eruera wrote:I’ve always been surprised by how joyless I have found every strat I’ve ever played. I really want to like they because they’re so iconic, but every time I touch one it’s a disappointment :rofl:

Yeah, I'm a bit the same... until you put a bucker in the bridge and a two point trem. Then they cover so much ground. Jack of most trades.
BY bbrunskill
Eruera wrote:I’ve always been surprised by how joyless I have found every strat I’ve ever played. I really want to like they because they’re so iconic, but every time I touch one it’s a disappointment :rofl:

this +100.
BY Candeevr4

I used to play a squier strat, then an am series tele before I got my sg, but when i pick up the washburn im babysitting atm, i just cant get to like it and keep going back to the SG.

Maybe its just that its a smelly old thing and i need something new to try again...
BY Eruera
bbrunskill wrote:
Frey wrote:
bbrunskill wrote:My Ric has more or less killed guitar GAS for me. It does the main sound I need better than anything else, very easy and comfy to play. I like very much my little Laney VC15, but i have a sneaky feeling it's not the ultimate.

love that jangle pop Ricky tone! have you tried a celestion blue? what about long plate JJ 12AX7s? that could get you most of the way to "ultimate"! tone is subjective and lies in the fingers remember!

you're not convincing me . . . anyway, when I want more jangle, I just play more jangle-y-er . .. bit closer to the bridge, open strings, bobs you're uncle.

Have you tried flats on it? They’re magical on your Ric’s long lost brother
BY Vince
I'm in a similar situation with my acoustic bass... I bought my Crafter and felt it was a sort of "along the way" bass and that there would be a long list of better and better basses to follow.

But, even after playing a bunch of more expensive things (Martins, Guilds, etc) I find the Crafter does exactly what I want. Whenever I see a new ABG in a shop I give it a burl but I still prefer the Crafter. It has a smallish body and that means it's not terribly heavy on the bottom end, the sound is nicely balanced along the whole range and it's absolutely perfect for what I do. And if I want bottom end, I can always play with the EQ, I suppose.

It feels a bit unusual... NOT having GAS, knowing that it's probably pointless to GAS for anything else, all I can do now is just play. And I suppose it's a relief as well. But I sort of do miss having GAS.
BY bbrunskill
Eruera wrote:
bbrunskill wrote:
Frey wrote:

Have you tried flats on it? They’re magical on your Ric’s long lost brother

It's utterly badass with flats, glorious stuff! But they are a bit too 'niche' sounding for covers . . . and a bastard to bend