Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Re: NAMM 2018

Post by godgrinder »

higainer wrote:Hmm, interesting.
No complaints with the Gemini since I got it back from Kyle :mrgreen:
From what I can tell, the gain structure of the Colossus quite possibly came from the Soldano/5150/Recto lineage, I tried it through a bunch of different quads/speakers so I think I got a decent grasp on it. There's a bunch of variations of it on ch 3/4 but it doesn't stray very far from that. The favourite tone I found on it is ch4 with fat switch on, which does that nasty Recto lower-mid grind but without the flub or fizz. But other than that it sounds a bit flat to me, it's tighter than any of these 3 amps in their stock form but it's not very aggressive either. Doesn't have the 3D-ness of the SLO, and the 5153 EL34 in the same room had more aggression...
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

godgrinder wrote:
higainer wrote:Hmm, interesting.
No complaints with the Gemini since I got it back from Kyle :mrgreen:
From what I can tell, the gain structure of the Colossus quite possibly came from the Soldano/5150/Recto lineage, I tried it through a bunch of different quads/speakers so I think I got a decent grasp on it. There's a bunch of variations of it on ch 3/4 but it doesn't stray very far from that. The favourite tone I found on it is ch4 with fat switch on, which does that nasty Recto lower-mid grind but without the flub or fizz. But other than that it sounds a bit flat to me, it's tighter than any of these 3 amps in their stock form but it's not very aggressive either. Doesn't have the 3D-ness of the SLO, and the 5153 EL34 in the same room had more aggression...
Running it thru different cabs speakers sound like you gave it a fair shake.
I’m guessing the De Young’s are largely responsible for the SLO’s 3D-ness.

You might have give the Gemini a whirl one day, it’s possibly voiced a little more aggressively than the Colossus......who knows.
Agreed in being able to dial it Recto-ish minus the flub & fizz.
No experience with the 5153 EL34 but if it’s anything like the Stealth, I’m not surprised it’s aggressive.

My impressions (albeit very limited) of the Juno are tight & articulate like a VHT but has the ability to soften the attack with the feel knob.
We’re not talking Jose modded juiciness here but that’s a different animal.
It’s more in the context of what a Kyle does but based around EL34’s which has me intrigued.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

Fortin has designed a new model for Hiwatt. Clips are sounding better than the Randall Thrasher/Satan already...

https://www.facebook.com/jfrankhouser/v ... 442133292/
https://www.facebook.com/LasseLammert/p ... 8600147212
Amps:

Rack stuff:

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

so watts(groan) the deal with maxwatt?custom/boutique arm of hiwatt?i see they have my ideal combo 2x12'/1x15" cab available "soon"

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

never mind,answered my own question and in case anyone else was curious-
"he new Canadian owners bought H***tt from Rick Harrison over a year ago. We've displayed under both names at NAMM, MusikMesse and MusicChina trade shows over the past year+. There has been a tm problem with the H***tt name in the US since that sale. Maxwatt was the name of the Chinese-made amps made by the last, MusicGround/Harrison, owners. Because of this tm problem, we've decided to use the Maxwatt name in the US for all amps: Chinese models and UK Custom Shop models until this problem is resolved. For the rest of the world, there is no problem with the tm and the name is the name these amps are supposed to be called. That name is H***tt. We have the same engineers who were making the Custom Shop amps in the UK for the last 15 years for the old owners. The new factory is still in Doncaster, using the same engineers, parts, quality, everything.........only by new owners and in a new building. ALSO, we're trying and successfully repairing burnt down bridges and hard feelings with as many of the old suppliers, distributors, retailers, end user customers and, even, some ex-employees as we possibly can. (Ollie, I mean YOU, in particular). I worked with them all, workers AND owners, and have seen them in action. The old employees were GREAT at what they did, had great pride in their work and the amps they made. Nothing has changed, except the ownership, the address and the new owners commitment to being straight-shooting/honest dealing and being builders of the best amps humanly possible. "

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

Anyone else spot our mate Matt chatting with Dan and Mick on the Sunday TPS Namm vid... (2:21)

I'm sure he'll have a few things to say about Namm when he's come back and recovered...
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

Aaron Turner did some demoing at the Fryette booth, probably made zero sense to most punters hahaha.
Amps:

Rack stuff:

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

Kris wrote:never mind,answered my own question and in case anyone else was curious-
I wonder how many ownerships has Hiwatt been through... Probably more than Vox at this point?
Amps:

Rack stuff:

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by godgrinder »

AiRdAd wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:Here's the Suhr
27021809_10155900885060479_3555307634651236028_o.jpg
$7995 US for a figured top. $7495 US for a goldtop. 100 guitars to be made celebrating 20 years of Suhr.
And it's really made out of okoume...
BODY WOOD Okoume
NECK WOOD MATERIAL Khaya
https://www.facebook.com/mattsmusiccent ... =3&theater
Amps:

Rack stuff: