Volume pedals, is buffered really needed?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Volume pedals, is buffered really needed?

Post by Reg18 »

The longest standing pedal on my board (about 7 years) is my Ernie Ball Volume pedal JR. I've replaced the string once but it's been rock solid apart from that.
However the other long standing pedal from my board (EP Booster) I've just sold and because it was always in acted as a buffer I guess.
Now with it gone I am noticing a big difference in tone between going straight into my amp and through my board. It's duller and lacks a bit of punch or something.
Had been considering updating my VP to something smaller like the new Boss FV30 but it isn't buffered either.

What buffered VP are out there?
Is it worth it or would I be better to get a dedicated buffer and a passive VP?

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Volume pedals, is buffered really needed?

Post by Single coil »

Any one decent buffer for about 20 foot of cable will do the trick. Boss pedal, hotcake, not a wah cuz they tend to be toilet.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

hotcake FTW, it's the only pedal I have that make the guitar sound better when it's off

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

I have got a Keeley Comp on the way which if it works out will be always on first in line. Does that mean having a buffered VP is completely unnecessary or will it still be better?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Do you use the tuner out on the EB? I had a JHS modded buffered EB VP Jr, had dual buffers so if you use the tuner out you're not losing half your signal straight away like you do if it's un-buffered :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

jeremyb wrote:Do you use the tuner out on the EB? I had a JHS modded buffered EB VP Jr, had dual buffers so if you use the tuner out you're not losing half your signal straight away like you do if it's un-buffered :)
Yeah I knew about that so never use the Tuner out.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Reg18 wrote:I have got a Keeley Comp on the way which if it works out will be always on first in line. Does that mean having a buffered VP is completely unnecessary or will it still be better?
Probably won't need the buffer with the compressor always on, no.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

any kind of pedal like an OD, compressor, boost will act as a buffer when on. The Keeley comp is wicked too. Dibs if it's not your cup of tea

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

bbrunskill wrote:any kind of pedal like an OD, compressor, boost will act as a buffer when on. The Keeley comp is wicked too. Dibs if it's not your cup of tea
Yeah I never noticed any dull top end when the EP Booster was always on which would back up your comments.
I'm still considering my Volume pedal options though as I'm a little nervous about the string breaking mid set.
As for the Comp It's the new Keeley Compressor plus and has a blend knob which is the main appeal for me, is that the one you were thinking of?
It has an Enhancer type circuit built in too by the sounds meaning it will most likely add its own tonal signature, hopefully it's a good one! I'm pretty sure Keeley knows his compressors pretty well so if this is the next step in the Keeley Compressor evolution I'm confident it will be a good one!

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I played 20 years or so before I ever heard of a buffer. I read about it in a magazine. Pete Cornish etc were putting them in systems for pro players due to signal loss on long cable runs. Had not heard of true bypass either. Now every Tom, Dick, and Harry wants both. Wah pedals messing with your fuzz etc? Nope. Never heard of it, although in hindsight i do remember it happened. Tone suck? You guessed it, never heard the term until more recently.

I guess we did not know about these issues and just got on with playing. That said, if we can sort something out, then why not...as long as it is actually presenting a practical problem.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Mechanical bypass sends half of your signal to ground iirc. Found that kind of amusing.
True bypass isn't the be all and end all and nor are buffers; it really gets up my nose when people wank on about buffers sucking tone. No, it isn't the buffers fault, it's poor input impedance.
Have one 20ft cable either side of a pedal: one buffered, one true bypass.
Lo and behold, you lose top end from the tb pedal.
Attenuation is very real.

/rant

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Single coil wrote:Mechanical bypass sends half of your signal to ground iirc. Found that kind of amusing.
Half of your 'signal' is already grounded... right from the guitar! :)

Reg I modded my passive pedal and put a buffer in it... Night and day difference, I think it'll help to find an active one. I might add, the EP booster is quite a neat like circuit... runs internally at 18V? That may account for the more dynamic feel you are missing. Perhaps a regular buffer might not give you what you're used to, but it'd be worth a try :)

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Cdog wrote:
Single coil wrote:Mechanical bypass sends half of your signal to ground iirc. Found that kind of amusing.
Half of your 'signal' is already grounded... right from the guitar! :)

Reg I modded my passive pedal and put a buffer in it... Night and day difference, I think it'll help to find an active one. I might add, the EP booster is quite a neat like circuit... runs internally at 18V? That may account for the more dynamic feel you are missing. Perhaps a regular buffer might not give you what you're used to, but it'd be worth a try :)
Interesting, when you say it made a big difference putting a buffer in your volume pedal did you notice any difference when a pedal was switched on before it?
Like if I run a Compressor or OD before it as an always on will it make any difference if the VP is passive?

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Reg18 wrote: Interesting, when you say it made a big difference putting a buffer in your volume pedal did you notice any difference when a pedal was switched on before it?
No difference. Most of my pedals are truebypass, the Volume pedal is often the first 'buffer' in the chain, at pos 4 or 5. Strictly speaking I should have some kind of buffer at pos 1, but with true bypass, the guitar still seesthe massive JFET input impedance of my buffer in the volume pedal. In my experience with passive volume pedals, the pots tend to load down the guitar and suck the treble... unless they are the special bypass types AND their 'off' position actually moves the pot properly into the bypass region of the pot taper. I think a buffer is still a better solution.
Like if I run a Compressor or OD before it as an always on will it make any difference if the VP is passive?
The difference it makes will depend on the pedal. The output impedance of most pedals tends to be a lot lower than that of the original guitar, so they can help 'buffer' the signal in that way. But they're not always great buffers in and of themselves.