handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Re: New BOSS Products coming....

Post by handsoffmatt »

Bg wrote: Come on Matt, the midi is next to useless, its the 3 channels and 3 effects. It was a selling point for me until I realised it doesn't exactly fill any midi spec.
Not sure what to say to this, except that I find the MIDI very useful myself. YMMV.

In any case, I have begun dialogue with the product team on your issues via email.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

Fist 15 mins.

UI is easy to navigate.

Build is super solid. Very confident having this on stage.

Effects sound dope.

I like it.

CHUR.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

xCaptainx wrote:Fist 15 mins.

UI is easy to navigate.

Build is super solid. Very confident having this on stage.

Effects sound dope.

I like it.

CHUR.

Too big?
;)

Looks neat :)
:mental:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

I assume theres an external tap tempo option?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Hollowpoint
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Hollowpoint »

Anyone know the power requirements? Any chance you can run it off a pedal power supply?

The Boss website says it's AC, Thomann says DC, they both says it draws 280mA but neither give the voltage.

Edit: Sweetwater says 9v DC, can someone confirm that's correct?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

handsoffmatt wrote:
Bg wrote: Come on Matt, the midi is next to useless, its the 3 channels and 3 effects. It was a selling point for me until I realised it doesn't exactly fill any midi spec.
Not sure what to say to this, except that I find the MIDI very useful myself. YMMV.

In any case, I have begun dialogue with the product team on your issues via email.
Sorry 5 channels, 3 effects and the loop.

It adds nothing over and above of what you get with the GA pedal, is what I'm saying. Yes its useful if you just want to change channel and switch one of the 3 effects. But even with a all singing and dancing midi controller plugged in - thats all you can do. Unless I'm mistaken you couldn't, for example, even use one of the pedals on a Roland FC300 or behringer foot controller, as the midi doesn't respond to this. This is your lot - published anyway...
1476917832_580617988_Katana_MIDI.JPG
No changing of effect type, no changing effect parameters etc Its not really useful in that regard. I know some people are using arduino's and similar to load completely new patches in via midi with a midi controller stompbox, but there should be no need to go to that extent just to change the effect on a patch.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

It should all be easily fixed in software, the hardwares all there! Depends how much $$ they want to put into a cheap amp though, which is perfect for most people :)

I'm really happy with the 50W, I treat it like the two channel amps I've been running for years, running one clean and one dirty, so anything beyond that is of little consequence for me, even had the same setup on the HD500X, but a bit nicer being able to switch effects in and out etc...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Hollowpoint wrote:Anyone know the power requirements? Any chance you can run it off a pedal power supply?

The Boss website says it's AC, Thomann says DC, they both says it draws 280mA but neither give the voltage.

Edit: Sweetwater says 9v DC, can someone confirm that's correct?

Yep, and comes with a 500mA DC power supply. Takes about 250 mA I think, should be able to run off a good power supply.

I'm running this and my Subway Bass DI off the powersupply that came with it, works great.

I'm gonna start a thread for this thing :D

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3466 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

A request to Matt, Sirvil or xCaptainx...

I'd really LOVE to hear a demo of the effects on these! (If you get time.)
The youtoobs I've seen are more about peeps overall switching and rig setups (bar the PGS demo which was my fave). Personally I want to hear the inbuilt sounds this unit can muster. Thanks in advance :)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:It should all be easily fixed in software, the hardwares all there! Depends how much $$ they want to put into a cheap amp though, which is perfect for most people :)

I'm really happy with the 50W, I treat it like the two channel amps I've been running for years, running one clean and one dirty, so anything beyond that is of little consequence for me, even had the same setup on the HD500X, but a bit nicer being able to switch effects in and out etc...
well yes, I'm sure its all about the dollar. However, if they took a little time to sort out the expression pedal issue, either via the GA and via Midi, it would be much more awesome. Its like the midi was a bit of an after thought and not really well spec'd which is such a shame.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Being able to use an external controller to change the effects in the patches and amp channels seems to me to be the most obvious function that guitarists who go thru the trouble of learning midi will need. Seems as this thing is also a controller, maybe it did not seem necessary. A wee mistake. Oh well. BG pushed back the chaser a spot there.
Last edited by Aquila Rossa on Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Aquila Rossa wrote:Being able to use an external controller to change patches and amp channels seems to me to be the most obvious function that guitarists who go thru the trouble of learning midi will need. Seems as this thing is also a controller, maybe it did not seem necessary. A wee mistake. Oh well. BG pushed back the chaser a spot there.
BG is talking about the Katana though which in theory is "just a guitar amp" ..... the MS-3 i'm sure will do what ever it is you are talking about (I know zero about midi and effects as I hardly ever use either.....well until I got the katana lol)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Like the new like button on this forum. Can just click it instead of responding to a post to admit I was being dopey again :D

I have also never used midi since i began playing in 1986. I always like the idea of being able to control a bunch of stuff, but never had the bunch of stuff that needed controlling. I tend to think four basic pedals is getting to be a lot.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Not a huge fan of Boss sounds, but not a hater either. They hold a special place for me because my first pedals in 1986 were Boss. Heavy
Metal, Chorus and Flanger. Still smile when I picture them all plugged into my first valve amp. A Jansen Reverb thingy. The one I liked best back then was a friend's Turbo Overdrive. The next pedals that caught my ear were a bunch of TC Electronics used ones at the now defunct Harmony House pawn shop on K Rd. That place had some good stuff. Mostly stolen tho i guess.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Bg wrote:
jeremyb wrote:It should all be easily fixed in software, the hardwares all there! Depends how much $$ they want to put into a cheap amp though, which is perfect for most people :)

well yes, I'm sure its all about the dollar. However, if they took a little time to sort out the expression pedal issue, either via the GA and via Midi, it would be much more awesome. Its like the midi was a bit of an after thought and not really well spec'd which is such a shame.
Totally agree about the expression pedal, major oversight!