Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Delay Dilemma

Post by Slowy »

I have a TC Flashback. I like it. My bandmate has a TC Nova. In another life she is a worship guitarist so you can be sure she knows her way around a delay pedal.
I can't keep up. She can produce delay rhythms that I just can't find in the Flashback.

So, three questions:

1. Am I just an incompetent who needs to learn to use what I have?
2. Am I being held back by gear limitations?
3. What delay pedals are especially good for creating all kinds of rhythmic effects?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Re: Delay Dilemma

Post by philly »

whats a "worship guitarist?"
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

My 2 cents, if you don't have tap tempo you can't do rhythmic things with a delay, you're better off setting it on short delay times and using it for adding texture :)

Once I discovered tap tempo things became much clearer :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

philly wrote:whats a "worship guitarist?"
Someone who dots their 8's and t's their crosses :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

ah ok.... so nothing to do with music then...
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Yeah your flashback is capable of everything the Nova is, just the tap part leaves you out of the 'set on the fly' gang.
Essential part of delays IMHO, I use largely the same basic couple of delay types and tap to taste

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I thought the Flashback had a tap tempo via audio input from your guitar.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

jeremyb wrote:
philly wrote:whats a "worship guitarist?"
Someone who dots their 8's and t's their crosses :)
It's almost a joke - P&W guitarists buy the delay first! I particularly like this Jackson Ampworks Scarlett 30 demo by the big name in P&W guitar Nigel Hendroff (or The Droff) - let's put a bit of delay on that...

[youtube]https://youtu.be/B4zh7hBL4Cw[/youtube]

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I thought the Flashback had a tap tempo via audio input from your guitar.
That sounds right. Doesn't seem ideal though.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Slowy, the easiest way to determine whats going on... is get her to try and replicate the sound on your gear, and you try to replicate it on her gear!

If shes says it 'me' not 'you' that is the problem, you know she's going to kick you out of the band! :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Don't need tap to do rhythmic delays. Edge did not have them back when he used Memory Man.

No tap can mean the pedal will set the beat for the entire band if the delays are a feature in the beat.

There is a good tute on YT on how to set up 8th and dotted 8th etc without a tap or timing settings (when using a Carbon Copy or the like). Easier math in 4/4. Stuff like if the echo falls on every beat, it's a 1/4 note, so if you want 8ths just half the delay time so you get an echo on both the down stroke and upstroke. Dotted 8th is when the first echo falls on the upstroke of the 2nd beat. pain in the ass to do manually, but entirely possible.
Last edited by Aquila Rossa on Fri May 19, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

flashback has a subdivision switch too.
I didnt try the audio tap but give that a go as well.Abit clunkier than normal tap but easy than getting another delay when you already likie what you got.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Aquila Rossa wrote:Don't need tap to do rhythmic delays. Edge did not have them back when he used Memory Man.

No tap can mean the pedal will set the beat for the entire band if the delays are a feature in the beat.

There is a good tute on YT on how to set up 8th and dotted 8th etc without a tap or timing settings (when using a Carbon Copy or the like). Easier math in 4/4. Stuff like if the echo falls on every beat, it's a 1/4 note, so if you want 8ths just half the delay time so you get an echo on both the down stroke and upstroke. Dotted 8th is when the first echo falls on the upstroke of the 2nd beat. pain in the ass to do manually, but entirely possible.
Umm..Edge would have had the tempo preset for the song, probably clicktracked and off you go. When you're playing in a band like Slowy is doing a bunch of songs from a variety of sources, not just one bands material tap tempo is a major plus.
I can remember doing covers pre-tap tempo (think I had a DD3 at the time) and it was a world apart from when I got my first good tap tempo delay (probably a Replica). Suddenly I was actually contributing properly, not just using a bit of slapback. Because most of the time, the guitar isn't setting the rythmn so you have to adapt to what is laid down (talking covers here).

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

yeah, of course it is way easier to have tap and subdivision. Just pointing out even with the most basic analog delay it is possible to do the "rhythmic delays" he is asking about. :geek:

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

null_pointer wrote:
Umm..Edge would have had the tempo preset for the song, probably clicktracked and off you go. When you're playing in a band like Slowy is doing a bunch of songs from a variety of sources, not just one bands material tap tempo is a major plus.
I can remember doing covers pre-tap tempo (think I had a DD3 at the time) and it was a world apart from when I got my first good tap tempo delay (probably a Replica). Suddenly I was actually contributing properly, not just using a bit of slapback. Because most of the time, the guitar isn't setting the rythmn so you have to adapt to what is laid down (talking covers here).
I have a picture somewhere of Edge's DMM with markings all over it for different songs.

In some early tours, he had an A/B box feeding 2x Memory Man, each into an AC30, and Dallas Schoo would dial in the next song on the 'other' Memory Man / AC30 setup.

In those days, the Edge kept time for the band and the drummer followed him.
It wasn't until the late 80's that they started using a click and Larry went back to keeping the time.

#u2nerd