Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

LucyTheSpud
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Fender amp GAS

Post by LucyTheSpud »

Not quite capable of buying yet (save up some pennies), but im looking at getting a princeton or deluxe reverb. Iv played on both and definitely dug the vibe. Want to match up in stereo to compliment with my JTM and use it for different flavours for recording.

Anyone got any alternatives? Whats the difference between the 2 models of deluxe? I think it was the 68 i played...

Whats the going second hand rate on both?

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Re: Fender amp GAS

Post by Reg18 »

Tony Watson just bought a 68 I think, im sure he will chime in soon.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

68 vs DRRI

Apart from cosmetics:

Both use the same PCB - the 68 Custom has reverb on both channels, channels are in phase with each other, slightly more midrangey custom channel, different speaker, more bass on the custom channel, less negative feedback (more gain/more mids/more touch sensitivity), lower reverb level, no bright cap on vintage/vibrato channel.

So in reality, the 68 is a modded DRRI, or rather a DRRI with all the most common mods performed on it out of the box. If you cared you could take the 68 to DRRI specs with little effort.

TL;DR

68 - rockier, more user-friendly, more gig friendly, noisier
DRRI - classic Fender, more clean focused, quiter

Around 1400-1600 for used DRRI is about right
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Deluxe and Twin look similar but are quite different. 65 twin reverb is much louder and stays much cleaner than the 65 deluxe reverb which is only 22 watts.

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

TmcB wrote:68 vs DRRI

Apart from cosmetics:

Both use the same PCB - the 68 Custom has reverb on both channels, channels are in phase with each other, slightly more midrangey custom channel, different speaker, more bass on the custom channel, less negative feedback (more gain/more mids/more touch sensitivity), lower reverb level, no bright cap on vintage/vibrato channel.

So in reality, the 68 is a modded DRRI, or rather a DRRI with all the most common mods performed on it out of the box. If you cared you could take the 68 to DRRI specs with little effort.

TL;DR

68 - rockier, more user-friendly, more gig friendly, noisier
DRRI - classic Fender, more clean focused, quiter

Around 1400-1600 for used DRRI is about right
Sounds like the 68 is what i want. Thanks!

Princeton vs 68. Which do you prefer? Iv played both but not had a chance to A/B.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Princeton is the DRRI '65s younger brother. The 68 Princeton I haven't played so couldn't comment

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

null_pointer wrote:Princeton is the DRRI '65s younger brother. The 68 Princeton I haven't played so couldn't comment
I know they are the younger brother. Just curious which is more preferable. It'l be a home use/recording amp so volume isnt needed. More about the tone. 18w vs 22w and 12" vs 10" speakers

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

Check out youtube, there are several videos comparing both.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

LucyTheSpud wrote:
null_pointer wrote:Princeton is the DRRI '65s younger brother. The 68 Princeton I haven't played so couldn't comment
I know they are the younger brother. Just curious which is more preferable. It'l be a home use/recording amp so volume isnt needed. More about the tone. 18w vs 22w and 12" vs 10" speakers
For home/recording Princeton in a heartbeat. Check out anything Ryan Adams has recorded on electric in the past 10 years and you're listening to a Princeton.

I'm getting my Princeton back for precisely the above reasons

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

null_pointer wrote:
LucyTheSpud wrote:
null_pointer wrote: I'm getting my Princeton back for precisely the above reasons
You've gone to the next level man! Now buying things off yourself I see....Haha. I jest.
Agree re Princeton. Dey are zee toans.

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

null_pointer wrote:
LucyTheSpud wrote:
For home/recording Princeton in a heartbeat. Check out anything Ryan Adams has recorded on electric in the past 10 years and you're listening to a Princeton.

I'm getting my Princeton back for precisely the above reasons

Ok...this is getting complex... now, standard princeton reissue vs 68. Same deal as DRRI and 68?

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

Same deal (largely) for 68 Princeton vs prri.

In terms of Princeton vs Deluxe Reverb?
Couldn't tell you. There are options on Deluxe Reverb and honestly isn't crazy loud at the sweet spot, although the Princeton gets there sooner at lower vols.

I didn't have the option of Princeton but I originally was going that way. Reports of farty baffles scared me so stayed away a bit. Wouldn't mind both tbh
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".

LucyTheSpud
Squier

Post by LucyTheSpud »

So to your ear it pretty much is just volume and breakup point? Its still early days of looking, so i havent done much reading about either yet. Im mostly just curious about forum opinions on all 4 different ones. Not the twin reverb tho, way overkill for my tastes!

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

Nah, Princeton has it's own sexy vibe - more rounded and lush to my ear. That's as well as the lower vol and breakup point. Depends completely on what you're asking it to do though.