meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Re: Delays...Educate me please.

Post by Slowy »

Delayman wrote:
Slowy wrote:
jeremyb wrote:.. if you're using a flashback you probably don't need tap tempo
Actually, I think it's essential. Flashback has tempo control, just not tapping.
Imho that audio tapping is nothing like tap. External tap means you can tap the tempo in as you carry on playing, to line up with drifting tempo if you're not using a click track. I tend to have one dotted eighth that I can tap, and then I have an ambient delay on all the time, instead of reverb.
Gotcha. brilliant, clear explanation. Thanks :thumbup:

OK: It's official; Tap Tempo required.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

I'm with Tony. I tried a bunch (including the Strymon stuff) and landed on a Memory Lane jr. Simple, reasonably sized, and my favourite sounding delay (never tried a DMM, admittedly).

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I'll tell you later. ;-)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote:Re: Delays...Educate me please.

I'll tell you later. ;-)
And tell me often.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Why don't you get a basic tap tempo pedal (I use an old dd5) for tap tempo and use the flashback you already have for the ambience type delays?
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

TmcB wrote:Timeline if you want to piss around for hours and hours crafting delay noises.

Deluxe Memory Man if you like haunting, beautiful modulation, analog, and fairly bright delay.

AD-9 if you like darker, "clicky" delay and slap back.

Echolution Deluxe if you want fat analog sounds and weirdness available in an ugly box and spend hours and hours crafting delay tones.

Memory Lane Jr if you want a simple goldilocks delay that sounds like it fits exactly between analog and digital with tap tempo

Empress Tape Delay if you like Tape delays and simple layouts in a digital package

Carbon Copy/Memory Toy if you want cheap dark analog

El Capistan if you REALLY like Tape delays and tinkering with everything.

TC Flashback and variants if the grass is always greener and you never want to be quite happy

My opinion - get a Memory Lane Jr, they sit perfectly in the Goldilocks zone of delay. They're not too bright but not too dark, simple enough that you won't spend hours pissing around but enough control to get great sounds, aren't $300+, sit wonderfully in any mix, and aren't pedalboard hogs.

Tonally the best of the bunch is probably the Echolution or DMM depending on whether you like analog or digital. Memory Lane is just behind those two along with the El Capistan.
pretty succinct really ... tho id probly avoid the strymon/tc stuff... i find them very sterile and i really dont understand their appeal...sort of like salted caramel or anal sex ... or mrs browns boys... i just dont get it..
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

The line6 stuff has always impressed me, both in quality and variation in sounds. All the various boxes they make seem to be really good at outrageous noises and more normal stuff. M13, M9, M5, DL4 and Echopark, all pretty killer.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPvWDj0wdRg&app=desktop demo for the EHX Canyon, wow, that sounds pretty amazing!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I have a MXR Carbon Copy in the loop. Just gives two to three repeats that are only really audible when you stop dead. It's a recent addition and now when it's not there I miss it.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

There's a Neunaber reverb/delay on TM...that will give you all kinds of ambient lushness--and they are easy to use.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

philly wrote:
pretty succinct really ... tho id probly avoid the strymon/tc stuff... i find them very sterile and i really dont understand their appeal...sort of like salted caramel or anal sex ... or mrs browns boys... i just dont get it..
I agree - having owned multiple El Caps and Flints, a Timeline, and a Bigsky I can honestly say there's a lack of fat, warm, "alive"-ness to them. I like what they do but I've always found they didn't quite engage me like others did and I found it a struggle to find sounds that truly inspire as opposed to suffice. There are plenty of people out there that adore what they can do though so take that with a grain of salt.

I found the Echolution gave me the big grins I never had with my Timeline. I still have a Flint but hopefully going Fender will kick that off the board.

Slowy, look out for an Echopark - aside from the weird tap tempo thing they sound awesome and can be had for under $150
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Delayman wrote:Why don't you get a basic tap tempo pedal (I use an old dd5) for tap tempo and use the flashback you already have for the ambience type delays?

Ummm.....I dunno :think:
So you can do that huh?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

bbrunskill wrote:just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPvWDj0wdRg&app=desktop demo for the EHX Canyon, wow, that sounds pretty amazing!
Unless I'm missing something, It's a Flashback by another name.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Some of the features are pretty killer, like the sample and hold delay, Dealy + reverb modes, etc. Does the Flashback do that?

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

I just picked up a Diamond Memory Lane for what seems like a pretty damn good price. Stoked!