Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Re: GAS issue: how many distortion/overdrive pedals is enough

Post by Reg18 »

TmcB wrote:I reckon there's a place for a flat overdrive and a mid-boosted overdrive on every board.
+ 1

In my experience amp OD generally sounds richer and better but having different gain levels at your feet and better control is more useful to me. I generally want pushed clean then a low gain OD to get more of the clean channel sound without compromising it's overall vibe but with slightly more attack and then another gain pedal for solos or just a simple boost pedal.
There is a lot of sense in BGs comment about adding all the transistor bits in the front end to get the gain from your expensive hand wound boutique 5k purchase. Although on that note I'll always remember when my amp tech informed me the gain channel on my JCM 25/50 was just engaging some diodes and I was shocked!
Use your own ears to decide! Not what TGP or other popular forums tell you sounds good (learnt that one the hard way)

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Re: GAS issue: how many distortion/overdrive pedals is enough

Post by godgrinder »

Reg18 wrote:Although on that note I'll always remember when my amp tech informed me the gain channel on my JCM 25/50 was just engaging some diodes and I was shocked!
That's a fun one to pull on Jubilee fanboys that keep claiming it's the best Marshall ever made. I remember telling that to one guy on Rig Talk and he got very upset over it and kept telling me there's no way it's all SS dirt, haha!
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio