Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Is GAS over for me?

Post by slash-ed »

I've been thinking about this for awhile now.

I've had a LOT of guitars, and a bunch of amps. I'm finally in a place where I'm lucky enough to own a bunch of truly awesome guitars, and each one serves a different purpose and covers a different part of the tonal spectrum. Now that I'm on the Fractal bandwagon, I don't really need any amps - they're all in the black box.

Now, I still look idly at gear, but 9/10 times I realise that I either have zero need for that guitar, or most often, that one of my current guitars already covers it or does it better. And I've tried the "collect lots of guitars of the same type that you like" thing as well - multiple LPs, N4s, Wolfgangs at once, and it's not for me either.

So... I'm pretty much NOT constantly fizzing with GAS for the first time in possibly my whole entire playing life. It's a bit worrisome as well, because part of my drive for starting and continuing the Six-String Samurai thing has always been to give me access to cooler gear than I own or could afford. Hence being fairly quiet on that side of things recently. I almost feel like I can just leave the gear stuff completely and just concentrate on actually being a better player, for once.

Has this happened to you? Should I see a doctor?
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Mini Forklift

Re: Is GAS over for me?

Post by Mini Forklift »

To answer the question in the thread title: NO.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Well it's easy for you to say that for yourself, but the guys who know my history may have a little bit more contextual understanding as to why this is such a big departure for me.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Two things:
1. Funny how this has coincided with you gigging again...
2. Just give Molly editor access to SSS, plenty of top end gear goes through there that could get reviewed. :D
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Could be that you've narrowed down exactly what you like and why.

You've figured out the types of guitars you like, and you've got every amp imaginable under the sun in your Fractal stuff. Since you're a fella who can dig good emulated stuff I can you'd be happy with anything one of those units can produce. Also, maybe review fatigue? There's a point where every pedal type sounds the same if you're not buzzing about it.

Could you be...content? :shock:
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Won't fractal release new shiny shiny periodically?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Yeah I've been over gear for ages. Still found stuff I've thought would be good though, and yeah any double ups are out the door for me. Currently I have a PRS SE that covers double cutaway dual humbucker and whammy. Psychostrat which covers, erm nothing really but the missus painted it. Ash P90 Aurum - covers P90's. Peavey HP Special for floyd goodness. Home build strat for erm strattiness, epip 339 for hollowness, LP for everything else. Oh and this bloody Ibanez roadstar that I'm not sure what to do with, probably going as I have other guitars that do the same. Building a good Tele, restoring a good supro.
TL;DR - enough guitars.

I thought the amplifire would dampen my urges for amps and in a way it has. However, I needed a good valve amp to play it through - none of your pussy full range wedge shite. So one DSL401 combo and one Mesa MK1 Reissue head later.... oh now look, two more heavy amps.

I think the point I'm making is - I did this without any gas. And I'm still playing an average of 30 mins a day, if that.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

slash-ed wrote:Well it's easy for you to say that for yourself, but the guys who know my history may have a little bit more contextual understanding as to why this is such a big departure for me.
True. In the many years I've known you on the forum, you've always been someone who enjoys their toys. I think I was in the same place as you were once where you kinda have to 'try everything' to see if it fits.... until you find a new puzzle, so to speak.

My own GAS tank is not running on empty, but definitely feels like it’s getting a lot more mileage on the gear I do own now. I probably go through a single good binge every 18-24 months over the last 5-6 years (this year it’s been the PRS Holcomb, Carvin V3m, G10 wireless and GT6 all within the space of about 2-3 months) but I’m noticing the that the time between big purchases gets longer and longer.

I think Hamo makes a point with you gigging again; I find being an active live player makes you think more about the performing/writing aspect rather than having all the tools in the shed… though your Fractal is probably a very well-equipped shed.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I think half your problem now though is that you're getting boss pedals to review..... :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Gigging makes a big difference to gear turnover, I find. You don't have time to tinker with the toys, you just use them as intended and concentrate on learning/writing/playing.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Polar Bear wrote:Gigging makes a big difference to gear turnover, I find. You don't have time to tinker with the toys, you just use them as intended and concentrate on learning/writing/playing.
I have often wondered why us amateurs (generally speaking) always generally have GAS to some extent; many of us change our gear as often as the average person changes his underwear. On the other hand when you look at many Pro guitarists many of them prefer to play just one or two guitars & amps that they've had since year dot :?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Gas is inversely proportionate to disposable income. Look at Hamo and his Gas.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

As a non-gigging bedroom warrior, I can understand this totally and think I've reached a similar situation.

(Although I think I still need a Suhr Strat in my life).
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Polar Bear wrote:Gigging makes a big difference to gear turnover, I find. You don't have time to tinker with the toys, you just use them as intended and concentrate on learning/writing/playing.
I have often wondered why us amateurs (generally speaking) always generally have GAS to some extent; many of us change our gear as often as the average person changes his underwear. On the other hand when you look at many Pro guitarists many of them prefer to play just one or two guitars & amps that they've had since year dot :?
I've not gigged an amp other than my AC30 since 2004... :)
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Apart from this guy...