Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Is GAS over for me?

Post by Molly »

hamo wrote:
Molly wrote:During my last year in a working, full-time band I decided I needed something that was just for me and nothing to do with music. For a couple of years there followed a time of intense interest in Harleys and the mechanics therein. Not the tacky flash of the mid-life crisis but the oil, spanners and technical literature of engine work and modification. Throughout I kept the same guitar gear and still played but the bikes were my main thing.

Looking back it was healthy to broaden my mind and I didn't ever worry about it. I knew guitar as a career option wasn't going anywhere so opening up my mind to other stuff made sense.

In short, find something else and enjoy it.
Have you thought about turning that into a late life career change?
Nice idea but like guitar it's an endless learning curve and you'd be hard pressed to make it pay. Also, working on your own pride and joy is a quite different proposition to spannering some other bloke's.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

mttn3 wrote:when I walk up to the tyres and see them priced higher than the cost of car tyres I'm like "pfffft, thanks but no thanks."
When you're riding a pair of premium European tyres that know all about rocks and dust but haven't a clue what to do with mud and you're sick of hauling yourself out of the stuff, $120 each sounds like a bargain.
Actually you're right; it's a ridiculous price to pay for a bicycle tyre. :roll:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

heavysoul
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 6 times

Post by heavysoul »

slash-ed wrote:I've been thinking about this for awhile now.

I've had a LOT of guitars, and a bunch of amps. I'm finally in a place where I'm lucky enough to own a bunch of truly awesome guitars, and each one serves a different purpose and covers a different part of the tonal spectrum. Now that I'm on the Fractal bandwagon, I don't really need any amps - they're all in the black box.

Now, I still look idly at gear, but 9/10 times I realise that I either have zero need for that guitar, or most often, that one of my current guitars already covers it or does it better. And I've tried the "collect lots of guitars of the same type that you like" thing as well - multiple LPs, N4s, Wolfgangs at once, and it's not for me either.

So... I'm pretty much NOT constantly fizzing with GAS for the first time in possibly my whole entire playing life. It's a bit worrisome as well, because part of my drive for starting and continuing the Six-String Samurai thing has always been to give me access to cooler gear than I own or could afford. Hence being fairly quiet on that side of things recently. I almost feel like I can just leave the gear stuff completely and just concentrate on actually being a better player, for once.

Has this happened to you? Should I see a doctor?
The short answer to your question "is GAS over for me?" is no. The long answer is, maybe for now. I can go years without buying or selling any gear. However, at some point I will feel the urge to selling something, buy something new and it all starts over again! :crazy:

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

Over for me. I'd like a CS Strat and a high end LP - then I'll call it a day after that.
Make Music Great Again

heavysoul
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 6 times

Post by heavysoul »

Clanger wrote:Over for me. I'd like a CS Strat and a high end LP - then I'll call it a day after that.
Well it certainly doesn't sound like it's over for you just yet! :)