Denmark St: Got anything in purple velour?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Denmark St: Got anything in purple velour?

Post by Hot_Grits »

Hi all,

Was over in England for a bit of this:

...and managed to get to a few shops. Denmark street was pretty cool, apparently not what it once was but still plenty of decent shops with good secondhand and vintage. Picked up this:

-It's a 2007 'guitar of the week special run 50s neck LP in Antique burst. Chambered and very light, rings like a bell.

Didn't take a lot of pics this time, but a few things stood out:

World's best repair shop name:

Really sweet (and well priced) Canadian teles:

And this fabulous purple velour tremoverb. Good luck selling that, guys:

One shop that really impressed me was Vintage and rare, 50 metres away from our airb'n'b in Shoreditch. demo amp was a very sweet tweed deluxe:

Brown!

Check out that V front Super:

Ex-Jimmy Page:

Clearly a house amp:

Sweet maple neck 12:

Cropper approved converted Esquire:

..And that's all I got. I'll finish up with a nice pic of a dodo from the natural history museum:

jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 512 times

Re: Denmark St: Got anything in purple velour?

Post by Zaulkin »

Awesome guitar cabinet things. Looks like a good trip :)

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I loved that street and Vintage and Rare when I used to live there. That was pretty much my weekly weekend pilgrimage.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

kdawg2a wrote:I loved that street and Vintage and Rare when I used to live there. That was pretty much my weekly weekend pilgrimage.
I'd heard it was in bad shape but still plenty of nice stuff and the shops are cool. Still lots of independents. Prices were ok, too.

London is a bit annoying for new gear as a lot of it is a train ride to the wops. I wanted to look at the Cornford guy's new Victory amps but couldn't be arsed traipsing to Guildford. Not surprising though, I'm sure ground rent in Soho is horrifying.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

That Mesa clearly used to belong to Murph and the Magitones.... Some awesome tweed stuff there, off for a quick hand shandy....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

WTF? You had a chance to get a purple velour Mesa and you passed? Are you fucking mad? That would match my suit so well...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1011 times

Post by bender »

All that Tweed and Brownface... Horrible.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2098 times

Post by GrantB »

Cheers for the photos.

What was the stand-out for that '07 Les Paul that meant you had to get it?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Rog wrote:WTF? You had a chance to get a purple velour Mesa and you passed? Are you fucking mad? That would match my suit so well...
yeah baby...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

It was cool enough when I first went back in '92, although as I considered a USA Jackson Soloist to be a dream guitar at the time I didn't appreciate that one shop had a genuine 50-something Les Paul and a couple of pre-CBS strats on the wall behind the counter.

The GFC hammered it hard though, cool was replaced by cheap, mass-produced lines, but thankfully it meant most shops survived.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 973 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Great photos mate :)
:mental:

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

GrantB wrote:Cheers for the photos.

What was the stand-out for that '07 Les Paul that meant you had to get it?
Been looking for a player-grade lightweight Les Paul with a fat neck for a while, and struck out on my Paris and Chicago trips. The shops in Denmark St had three, including a chambered R8 and a 2007 std. There were some R9s that weren't too heavy but heavier than I wanted.

The CR8 was very nice, as was the '07 standard -I was close to buying that one. I was in Wunjo and the store guy handed me the GOTW. After a quick blat on the shop floor into a Fender amp he took me upstairs and grabbed a 60s Marshall 18 watter. He also grabbed a 65 non-reverse firebird (perfect brightness -you would have loved it) and a Jimmy Page sig les paul on consignment from the guy from Reef. All the guitars sounded great but I kept coming back to the GOTW -it had all the nice Les paul tone things going on but was very balanced, even and articulate compared to the Page, which had almost too much midrange. I haggled it down to a very nice price, too.

Been playing it non-stop since I got back. Sounds killer though all my amps and pedals and really feels lively -louder and more ringy than your average LP when played unplugged. In comparison to an excellent custom shop or vintage Les Paul it's probably a tiny touch less fatter sounding and the sustain isn't endless, though still very good. If I was being even pickier I'd say the neck isn't the fattest 50s neck I've played and I'd have preferred a solid colour or plaintop. But those are minor compromises for a guitar that plays and tracks great and weighs less than everything in my racks bar the Adrian Korina snakehead tele.

Wunjo had another standout -a Fender Telesonic. Sounded fantastic and I was tempted, but had a skinny Am std-style neck and they wanted more than the LP cost.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

Thanks for the pics. Interesting stuff.

Wasn't Shaftsbury Avenue another one full of guitar shops? Not being a Southern Softie I never ventured further south than Birmingham so am not sure. I used to go to Electro in Doncaster. Proper Naaaaarthen guitar shop tha knows.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

Molly wrote:Thanks for the pics. Interesting stuff.

Wasn't Shaftsbury Avenue another one full of guitar shops? Not being a Southern Softie I never ventured further south than Birmingham so am not sure. I used to go to Electro in Doncaster. Proper Naaaaarthen guitar shop tha knows.
Dunno. Hadn't heard of Shaftbury.

Lucked onto the place in Shoreditch, which turned out best visit of the lot. But mostly it seems most other shops are the better part of an hour away by train.

Passed through Birmingham on the way to Libpool in a bus (trains flooded out). looked pretty average -the kind of place you'd invent heavy metal in.

Liverpool was surprisingly nice.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:Thanks for the pics. Interesting stuff.

Shaftesbury Avenue is full of theatres and cinemas isn't it? You're not even a real northener, jesus I could throw my pie crusts over hadrian's wall.